Stolen Property

The Other Side of Cinderella

Allie’s POV

I listen to Myungsoo, am I hearing him right? Why is he asking me to marry him? What force in the world is compelling us to get married?

“Is it yes or no, Allie?” Myungsoo asks looking straight at me. What do I say? Do I reject him? Do I accept it? I’m so utterly confused right now. I’m not even entirely sure of my feelings for him. Do I like him more than a friend? Am I attracted to him? All of these questions are encircling in my mind, so what’s the right answer?

“Myungsoo…I,” I begin, but I really don’t know what to say.

“Allie, it’s very simple, anyone would actually want to marry me,” he replies calmly.

“Conceited much?” I mutter.

“So, Allie, marry me?” he asks once again. He really won’t give up this topic, will he?

I take a deep breath before I tell him my answer. “No,” I calmly say.

I watch him as his mouth drops. “No? Did you just reject me?”

“Yeah,” I say nodding my head.

“Why would you reject me, do you have any idea who I am?”

“You’re Kim Myungsoo,” I state as I eat some more of my food totally disregarding the question that he just asked me five minutes ago.

“Don’t you want all of this?” he asks looking around the room.

“No.”

“Every girl would wish to be in your position right now.”

“But I’m not every other girl, am I.” I look him right in his eyes. “There’s no way that I’m like every other girl.”

“You’re not like every other girl because you didn’t accept my proposal,” Myungsoo says freaking out. I slightly laugh at his little pouting and tantrum that he’s throwing. Who knew that the person who everyone calls as ice prince is actually acting like he’s younger than Cecelia?

“I have my reasons for not accepting.”

“And what might those be?”

“For starters, I don’t think I know you well enough.” That’s a total lie; I think that I know him pretty well despite not knowing him long enough. Even though I may be putting on a cold front and nonchalant attitude about the whole proposal thing, I’m actually freaking out inside. I don’t understand him at all, even though I may know about his past, I don’t understand the way he thinks or the way he really communicates. Myungsoo and I would never be able to work out in a relationship. “Plus, I haven’t known you for that long.”

“But we’re living under the same roof.”

“True, I’ll give you that,” I say. “But just because we’re living under the same roof doesn’t mean that a marriage is going to work out between us.”

“I would make it work,” Myungsoo says. Why is he trying to make me marry him all of a sudden? He hasn’t shown interest in me before.

The doorbell ringing knocks us out of our marriage talk. “I’ll get it,” I say getting up from the table.

“I will,” he says, slightly angry. “It’s not safe for a woman to get the door when it’s dark.”

As he walks away I look at Cecelia who was happily eating this whole time. “What do you think of that oppa’s marriage proposal?” I ask her.

“I think you should marry him.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s nice and he looks like he likes you,” she responds simply.

At these times, I wish I were younger again. If I were young, this would be a dream come true, a rich prince coming and asking to marry me. It would be like something that only happened in fairy tales, where the prince finds a common girl and wants to spend the rest of his life with her. Now, it’s anything far from glamorous, I can’t imagine myself marrying him, there’s no way, not right now.

“Cecelia, do you know what marrying this guy would be like?”

“Wouldn’t it be like how it is right now?” she asks looking at me. “We’re living at his house.”

I stare at her. I think I just got owned by a six-year-old.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

Why would she reject my proposal? True, I was using it as a gain on him for taking Uee from me, but as I was waiting for her answer, I started feeling excited from the fact of her saying yes. I can’t beg her to marry me, though, that’s not in my personality traits. I’m just going to make her fall for me even harder and show her that she can’t live without me being by her side. I’m going to save her and do sweet things to her so that she’ll see I’m a caring guy. Ugh, I’m so frustrated.

I open up the front door and immediately close it once I see the person there. I have no time for any of this. How does he even know where I live? Oh wait, I forgot, we were once best friends and I’ve never moved houses.

“Open the door, Myungsoo,” he says attempting to be sweet.

“No,” I yell back at him. There’s no way I’m letting him in the house, especially when Allie and Cecelia are here.

“Come on, L, I know you want to talk to me,” he says emphasizing the letter L. Ever since that time, no one calls me that.

I pull the door open with tremendous force. “Who in the world ever said I wanted to talk to you again?”

“What’s all of the noise?” Allie asks coming into the foyer. Why did she have to come at this time?

“Oh, I’m a friend of L-I mean, Myungsoo,” he says looking at Allie and putting on the sweet talking again. “I was just here to visit, but seeing that he has company already, I wouldn’t want to bother him any further.”

I glare at him, but we both know where this is heading. We both know that Allie’s not going to tell him to go and to stay. He’s just thinking she’s going to do it to be nice, I know that she’s doing it because she doesn’t know who he is and she knows that Woohyun and Sungyeol are my friends and I like them, so if he’s my friend, I should like him, too. But he’s not my friend, he’s an ex-friend, I don’t even consider him a friend anymore.

Just like we both imagined, Allie tells him to come in. “I’ll go get some snacks,” she says as she heads to the kitchen. I don’t see Cecelia anywhere, that’s probably better if he doesn’t see her again. Then it hits me as to why she’s not here, she’s probably afraid of him. Since they did see each other in the grocery store and if she saw that it was him at the store, she probably went upstairs to her room or something.

He and I stare at each other while Allie goes away. “That’s a nice girlfriend you have there,” he comments, “is she the one with the child from the store or are you maybe cheating on your wife with her? She looks a little young to be with a child.”

“Look, I don’t know why you came,” I spit at him. “But how many times do I have to tell you that you aren’t very welcome here.”

“Is that any way to treat a house guest?” he asks. “Aren’t you going to ask about Uee’s and my relationship?”

“Never.”

“We’re doing good, thanks for asking,” he says totally disregarding my answer. “I’m thinking of asking her to marry me, you’d be invited, of course. Everyone in that group from high school will be invited, too.”

“Invited where?” Allie asks as she comes into the room. She sits a plate down with some fruit on it as she sits down next to me. I can tell that she thinks it’s awkward since I just asked her to marry me, but she’s probably trying to imagine that it didn’t happen.

“To a wedding,” he responds sweetly. Will he stop it with the act already?

“Who’s wedding?” Of course Allie is curious. She’s curious about everything.

“Just some people I know,” he replies while looking at me the whole time, “oh, how rude of me to not introduce myself to my good friend’s wife.” With the word wife being mentioned, my eyes go wide and I can’t help but glance over at Allie who is equally shocked. This guy just doesn’t know when to stop. “My name is Kim Sunggyu, Myungsoo and I went to the same high school.”

“Nice to meet you,” Allie says, “I’m Allie and I’m—”

“Yes,” I say grabbing the opportunity and slipping my arm around her shoulders. “She is my wife. Do you have a problem with it?”

 

Allie’s POV

Again with the whole marriage thing? Why does Myungsoo’s friend think that we’re married? Why did Myungsoo say that we’re married? I already told him that I didn’t want to marry him, yet he still persists with it. I look at Myungsoo and he gives me a look that I should play along. Is there something with him and this Sunggyu guy that I’m missing?

“I didn’t know that my dongsaeng here would have such a pretty wife,” Sunggyu says.

“Ah, yes,” I say shyly bowing.

“I didn’t even know that you guys would have pretty children.”

“Children?” I ask slightly choking on my own spit.

“Yes, the young girl that I saw at the grocery store today with Myungsoo, is she not your child?”

“That is actually my sister-in-law,” Myungsoo says chuckling a bit. Is it because he likes pretending to be my husband or is he just laughing at Sunggyu’s mistake. “That little girl is actually Allie’s younger sister.”

“I’m sorry, it was my mistake,” Sunggyu says slightly bowing.

“No, it’s alright, people do it all the time,” Allie confesses.

Sunggyu stays for a little while. He and Myungsoo talk about some things and catch up on their lives with each other until Sunggyu determines that it’s late and he should leave. “I’m sorry for intruding, I would have left if you wanted me to,” he says.

“It was fine,” I say as I him to the door.

“You know, you remind me of someone I used to know,” Sunggyu says as he looks at me once more before walking down the front steps.

“Well, is that something good or bad?”

“I would say it’s good,” Sunggyu says with a smile and unconsciously I smile back.

“I guess you’ll be dropping by a lot now to visit Myungsoo?”

“Maybe. Well, goodnight,” he says as he goes down the steps. I watch him as he leaves before closing the door. Once I close the door and turn around, I’m faced with a slightly angry Myungsoo. What is he angry at this time?

“I didn’t know that you wanted to be close with my best friend,” Myungsoo says. The way that he emphasizes those words is slightly weird.

“It’s called curiosity,” I tell him as I walk right past him to go upstairs and change into pajamas.

“Look, don’t ever let him back into the house,” Myungsoo says catching up to me on the stairs.

“Why not? And why did you have to tell him that we’re married when obviously I told you no.”

“Just pretend to be my wife then. I don’t care if you tell me no, just when he’s around, pretend to be my wife.”

“Why should I do that?”

“I’ll double your salary for being my personal assistant. That and you’re my personal assistant, I command you.”

I think about his offer. If he doubles the amount of money that he was planning to give me, then I can cut the time to get out of here in half and make it that much faster. “Sure, you have a deal, but that doesn’t explain why I shouldn’t let him back in the house. He seems like a nice friend.”

“He’s not a friend at all,” Myungsoo says looking down at the ground.

“What?” I ask turning around to face him.

“Never mind,” Myungsoo quickly says. “Go to sleep, you’re probably tired.”

“Oh, now you care about me.”

“No, we have classes tomorrow and I need someone to pay attention,” he says as he quickly walks up the stairs right past me.

“Kim Myungsoo!” I yell chasing after him.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“What happened?” Sungyeol yells.

“Quiet down,” I say looking around at everyone. “Everyone’s looking at you; do you want people to know?”

“Why would he come back? I thought he left after the supposed to be wedding,” Sungyeol says.

“He was,” I respond.

“He and Uee were supposed to leave, why are they both here now?”

“That’s what I’m going to figure out,” I tell him.

“Oh, hello Allie,” Sungyeol says as she sits down at the lunch table. “How were your classes?”

“They were okay…oppa,” Allie hesitantly adds it onto the end.

“Calling me oppa, isn’t it so cute?” Sungyeol asks doing an expression and then patting Allie on the head. “So about the talk we were just having.”

“Later,” I respond motioning a little with my head over to Allie. Thankfully, Sungyeol’s not that stupid.

“So,” Sungyeol says, I can tell that he’s going to start changing the subject. “How’s your life been, Allie?”

“Weird.”

“Weird?” Sungyeol asks and he can’t help but look at me determining that I’m more than likely the cause of it.

“This guy over here asked me to marry him last night,” Allie says pointing her thumb in my direction.

“You what?” Sungyeol yells again. This time, even more people look than last.

“Be quiet, Sungyeol,” I tell him not giving a care in the world.

“You asked her to marry you?” Sungyeol’s mouth is still hanging wide open. “So you guys are engaged.”

“Nope,” Allie responds with a smile across her face. Is she happy about the whole thing? “I rejected him.”

“You rejected him?” It’s like Sungyeol isn’t used to hearing these things, then again, I’m not using to having people reject me either, so I guess our reactions would be the same.

“I’m leaving,” I say getting up from the table.

“Where are you going?” Sungyeol asks looking at me.

“I have some business to take care of. You and Allie can talk, though. You don’t have to follow me.”

“Oh, okay,” Sungyeol says and immediately turns his attention back to Allie as I walk out of the cafeteria.

 

Allie’s POV

“Why did you reject him? Do you not like him? Any girl would want to marry Myungsoo. You’re definitely different than everyone else, Allie,” Sungyeol says as he just keeps going on and on asking me questions.

“Slow down, Sungyeol-oppa,” I say. “Too many questions.”

“Well then why did you reject him?”

“Why would I want to marry him?”

“Because he has money and looks, unless…you want to marry me?” he asks wiggling his eyebrows a little.

“No thanks,” I say. “But see, looks and money, that’s just what’s on the outside. I like knowing what the person has on the inside.”

“I get it, I get it.”

“Sungyeol-oppa, can I ask you a question?” I ask looking at him.

“Sure, anything.”

“What does the L on Myungsoo’s sweatshirt stand for?”

“Ah, that,” Sungyeol says as though he’s remembering some memories. “It’s because he’s like L from Death Note, do you know what that is? He’s just someone who is like emotionless.” As Sungyeol is explaining the meaning, I realize how much that nickname must suit him.

“Then why doesn’t anyone call him L anymore?”

Sungyeol sighs, looks around the cafeteria, and leans in close. “It’s because of Uee.”

“How?”

“I’m sure you already know some of the story, but see, when his parents arranged for the marriage and when he fell in love with her, he started becoming caring and considerate.”

“Myungsoo, caring and considerate?” I ask in disbelief.

“He’s actually like that to people that he really cares about,” Sungyeol says in a matter of fact way. “Anyway, that L slowly changed from being emotionless to love.”

“Love?”

“They both start with the letter L,” Sungyeol starts explaining.

“I get it,” I tell him.

“Okay. So he started becoming nicer until the incident happened, which I’m sure you’re fully aware of. After Sunggyu-hyung stole Uee away, he stopped using the nickname, so everyone just calls him Myungsoo now.”

“Wait, did you just say Sunggyu?” I ask recognizing the name.

“Yeah, why?”

“Kim Sunggyu?” I repeat.

“Yeah, he was in the group back in high school. Do you know him?”

“Sunggyu was the one that stole Uee away from Myungsoo?”

“You didn’t know that?” Sungyeol asks with wide eyes. “Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned his name. Wait, then how did you recognize the name then?”

“He came over to Myungsoo’s house last night,” I tell him.

“He actually came over?”

“He said that he and Myungsoo are good friends and then he stayed. Is that not good?”

“It’s not good,” Sungyeol confesses. “They aren’t good friends; they haven’t spoken in a year. Myungsoo hates his guts. This is not good.”

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Well, look what we have here,” I hear Sunggyu say behind me.

“Are you following me or something?” I immediately whip around to face him.

“I just transferred here,” he says brightly since there are people passing by.

“I’ll make sure that you’re kicked out first thing then,” I say as I turn around and continue on my way.

“You know, your wife is such a pretty person. It’d be a shame if something were to happen to her,” Sunggyu threatens.

I can’t take it anymore and go up to Sunggyu and hold him by the collar. “What are you talking about?” I growl at him. “Don’t do anything to Allie.”

“I wouldn’t do anything to harm her, I’m better than that,” Sunggyu says calmly.

“If I let you stay in the college, don’t do anything to Allie, do you understand?” I ask with fire raging in my eyes.

“I’m not going to hurt her, if that’s what you think,” Sunggyu asys looking at me as I let his shirt go.

“What is your purpose of coming back here? Making my life miserable?” I ask him. If people are staring now, I really don’t care.

“Making your life miserable is only part of it.”

“Then what’s the other part? You already took Uee away from me, what else could you want? And speaking of her, where is your lovely girlfriend?”

“She’s working during the day, you should know that,” Sunggyu says giving me a look. “She is your little sister-in-law’s teacher.” How in the world does he know that? Uee must’ve said something, right? Please let it be that.

“Shut up,” I tell him. “Just tell me, why are you here? We stopped talking a year ago and now you’re suddenly saying you’re my good friend to my wife. You better explain yourself to her and not make her misunderstand.”

“But that’s half of the fun, L,” he says calling me that nickname again. I want to punch him so badly.

“Just shut up and spill it,” I demand. “Or I’ll kick you out at this moment and forbid any other college in Seoul to take you in.”

“I’m here to reclaim what was once mine.”

“Yours? You have Uee,” I tell him slightly confused with the comment.

“Uee this and Uee that, I don’t think your wife would appreciate you mentioning another girl’s name.”

“What was once yours?”

“Allie,” Sunggyu says calmly. “I’m here to take Allie.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why does Sunggyu want to take Allie? What is Sungyeol going to do about Myungsoo and Sunggyu? Will Sunggyu know about Allie and Myungsoo's fake marriage? Will Allie and Myungsoo ever face their feelings for each other?

 

Another chapter is finished. Hope you enjoyed :D