97. Safety First

100 Theme Challenge

Keytae. Short drabble. It's cute.

"If you're going to ride your bike," Key started, heading for the closet next to the open doorway, where Taemin was standing, looking annoyed. "Then you'll need your helmet, and maybe some knee pads. Take a bottle of water and a snack too." Key started gathering supplies, grabbing an unused bag from the closet to shove water and food into. 

"Key, you're smothering him." Jonghyun commented from the living room couch, snickering when Key huffed.

"Well, it's better to be safe!" He said, shoving the bag into Taemin's arms. Taemin shook his head.

"I don't think I want to anymore..." He sighed. "I'll just go for a walk." 

"Make sure to take your phone, and some water and... Why don't I just go with you?" Key said, shrugging the bag over his shoulders and shoving his feet into his sneakers. Taemin sighed and shook his head again. The reason why he was going on a walk was to get away from Key's mothering. He was sick of it.

But, he said nothing, and just continued out the door, Key on his heels. He fell silent as Key talked, shoving his hands into his pockets. He sighed and looked away from his "Umma", pouting slightly as he looked around him. He had wanted to leave, go to the convenience store, and buy some comfort food. He couldn't do that with Key around. He didn't want Key there, at all.

Key surely noticed, but said nothing. He just kept talking, grabbing onto Taemin's arm to stop him at one point. "Come on, I'll buy you some icecream. And some banana milk?" He suggested, eyes lighting up in amusement when Taemin nodded, a little too quickly. He wouldn't pass up icecream, or banana milk. Key never really let them get snack food, because "it was bad for them" and it would "make them fat." It drove Taemin absolutely insane, but he never said a thing. He just let Key do what he want. And Key knew it bothered him, so sometimes he would give in, and buy his Taeminnie some food. He was a mother who loved to spoil his child. 

They stopped at a convenience store and Key headed straight for the icecream, picking out a couple flavors to bring back to the others. He picked up a few bags of chips, some of Taemin's favorite cookies, and some banana milk. Taemin was surprised, and only smiled thankfully when Key handed him the milk. 

"Thanks," He murmured, stuffing the little straw through the tin of the carton, the milk up greedily. 

Key just smiled and picked up his grocery bags, swinging them at his sides as they headed home. "I know I'm annoying." Key said, startling Taemin at one point. "But I'm just trying to do what's best for us. What's best for you."

Taemin in deeply and swallowed, smiling slightly. "I know." He said, nudging Key with his elbow. "But you could let up a little, once in a while, Umma."

"As you can see, I am." Key huffed, elbowing Taemin too. They both chuckled, and then everything went silent. Taemin glanced at Key from the corner of his eye, smiling at Key's pout. 

Then, suddenly, he had an idea. He stopped right in his tracks, and when Key turned to question him, he held up a hand, saying "Wait here." And he ran. He ran, around the corner from their dorm, and to the nearest flower shop. He couldn't stop chuckling, remembering Key's confused face. Key would be so mad at him... 

Once he paid for a dozen roses, he ran back to Key, only pausing once again to hide the bouquet behind his back. He waltzed up to Key, whose back was turned, and tapped his shoulder. Key turned and once again opened his mouth to question Taemin, looking angry, but Taemin then shoved the flowers into Key's chest, smiling deviously. "Happy Mother's Day, Key Umma."

Key's mouth fell open, and he stared at the flowers for a split second before his eyes flew to Taemin's. Taemin knew how much Key hated it when they called him Umma, especially when Taemin called him Umma, because if anything, Key was his Appa. Taemin could see the anger rolling in his eyes and he took that moment to drop the flowers into Key's awaiting hand and run.

Once home, he told everyone what he had done, and his hyung's gave him the best standing ovation he had ever received. 

Taemin knew that once Key got home, he was going to show him exactly how much of a mother he wasn't. And Taemin couldn't help but feel excited at the mere thought.

Taemin couldn't wait.