57. Sacrifice

100 Theme Challenge

Viva la Kibum! This will never end, until I run out of themes LOL I think soon I'll be writing a Jongyu rated chapter, for the Obsession theme >:3 it's screaming at me lol

 

Minho watched Kibum, who was sitting in front of him, staring down at the coffee table in nervousness. He didn't want to look up at Minho, fearing that his heart would burst out of his chest.

"Kibum," Dr. Lee came up behind him and whispered in his ear, her hand felt reassuring on his shoulder. "I brought him here so that you could meet him, and talk to him. So talk."

"What if I don't want to?" He muttered, trying to speak softly enough so that the man didn't hear him. He didn't want to offend him, but he was scared. 

"You need to, Kibum. If you don't want to tell him everything now, then why don't you get to know him? Ask him some questions. It's good for your recovery to make some friends."

"I have friends." He mumbled, glancing up at Minho quickly. He was still smiling, looking around the room curiously. Kibum noticed his Adam's Apple, protruding from his neck when he looked up, and he swallowed thickly. "Taemin and Jonghyun."

"It's good to have healthy friends too, Kibum." She said, patting his shoulder again. "I can leave you two alone, if you want."

He did want that. He really did. But then again, he was afraid that if they were left alone, he would say things he didn't want to say or even think about. Dr. Lee could see the conflict in his eyes and she sighed, resolving a solution. "I'm going to go get you two some snacks. I'll be right back, alright?"

Kibum nodded, though he could feel hysteria bubbling up inside of his chest again. But before he could stop her, Dr. Lee was gone, closing the door behind her.

They were alone.

Kibum fought the urge to look at Minho, instead staring at his hands, the floor, the coffee stain on the table. Anything other than Minho's face.

"So," Minho started. "I was told that you wanted to talk to me? And that's why I'm here?"

Kibum didn't know what else to do, so he nodded. He glanced up at Minho and saw that his mouth had widened into a big grin. Again, Kibum's heart flew into a frenzy.

"What did you want to say?" 

Minho's voice was deep but not as deep as Kibum had pictured... and he found that he rather liked it. He liked the way Minho sat back in the chair in front of him, looking comfortable and at ease. He liked the way his hair looked, like Minho didn't even do a single thing to it but wash it. He liked the way Minho's eyes squinted when he smiled. He liked his hands, his long fingers and soft looking skin. He wondered vaguely if his fingers were calloused, and how they would feel against his own. 

"Um..." Kibum's voice sounded so quiet and soft. The second he spoke, Minho sat forward, looking interested. His smile was dazzling. "How old are you?"

Minho grinned, though it hadn't been what he had expected. "I'm 17."

Kibum blinked, confused. "You're a firefighter, but you're 17?"

"I'm in training, actually. I wasn't supposed to go into your house that day." He said, shrugging. His cheeks turned pink in embarrassment. "But, we were short on fighters and I've had enough training to know what to do, so I did it. I got yelled at afterwards, though." Minho smiled again. Great mother of everything that was holy, Kibum felt like he was going to die. His stomach was so full of butterflies that he felt as if he would explode into a swarm of them. "But I was also praised, because I saved your life, so that worked out pretty well." His grin widened. "They yelled at me a lot though. My parents almost killed me, too. They said that I could have been killed, myself, since the upstairs was so close to caving in. I had a feeling though, that I needed to check the basement, just in case." Minho nodded and his eyebrows creased in thought. "It was all worth it though." And then Minho finally looked over at Kibum, eyes staring right into his, and Kibum felt his heart stop completely. He stopped breathing alltogether.

Kibum blushed and looked away, taking a deep, shuddering breath when he could finally breathe again. His heart thudded painfully against his ribcage. This man had to know what he was doing. "Thank you." Kibum finally said, so quiet he was almost whispering. When he was able to look up at Minho again, Minho was smiling sweetly, not as big and dazzling as that grin of his, but it sent Kibum's heart into cardiac arrest, for the millionth time.

"It was my pleasure." Minho said softly. He cleared his throat and grinnied again. "So, how old are you, Kibum?"

"I'm 17... 18 in a few months." Kibum answered, playing with his fingers. He stared down at his hands, focusing on them so that he wouldn't look up at Minho and lose his train of thought. 

"What's your full name?"

"Kim Kibum." His voice was so soft and angelic, Minho just felt like he was being pulled in. "I-I wanted to say something t-to you, but," Kibum admitted, knowing that even though he had been battling himself all morning over this, that he needed to say it anyway... If Minho was disgusted by him, than so be it. Maybe that's how it was supposed to be. Maybe fate had something in store for him, something good, hopefully... Even if this failed... "I don't know how to say it without sounding really weird..."

Minho sat on the edge of his seat, as close to Kibum as he could get. He smiled reassuringly, trying to show Kibum that it was okay, he could say it. He could do it.

So Kibum took a deep breath. Minho had sacrificed his life for Kibum's, knowing that he could die inside of that house, so Kibum felt that... he owed this to him, somehow. He needed to let him know. "I wanted to thank you for saving me... I don't know how to say it all... Ever since that day," Kibum dared to look up at Minho and gasped at how close Minho was. His face seemed to be only inches from Kibum's. Kibum couldn't look away, but he kept talking. Everything seemed to fly out at once. "I haven't been able to get you out of my mind. It's weird, because I could only remember your eyes and nothing else, but... You've plagued my days and my nights, and my mind can't seem to stop dreaming about you, thinking about you..." Kibum took a deep, shuddering breath. "I don't know what's wrong with me. I don't want to be disgusting. I don't want to be hated. I don't want you to hate me." A few tears fell from his eyes and Minho smiled sadly, reaching forward to brush them away. Kibum was startled.

"It's the same for me." Minho said, a cute, red blush overcoming his cheeks. He stared relentlessly into Kibum's eyes, though. "I haven't stopped thinking about you... How relieved you looked when I picked you up... You were so skinny and frail... I thought maybe you were dying. I didn't know that your father had..." Minho shook his head, teeth gritting in anger. "When my boss told me about you, I... I wanted to kill your father, honestly. And I just couldn't stop thinking about you. The way you smiled when I brought you out into the sunlight... It was beautiful, really. I felt like crying. You probably don't remember. You smiled and your arm reached up, towards the sky, and you said 'I'm home', and then you passed out and I freaked." Minho's face couldn't turn any redder. "That was so embarrassing."

Kibum was sure that his heart had stopped for good. He didn't know what to say. He couldn't think, couldn't speak, his tongue felt like cotton... and then he really started crying.

"I'm sorry!" Minho immediately shot forward, frantic hands wiping away Kibum's tears. "Did I say something wrong? I didn't mean to! Oh my God, I'm so sorry..."

Kibum barked out a short laugh, wiping at his face. Minho sat on the end of the coffee table, looking embarrassed and worried. "Y-You didn't say anything wrong, honest." Kibum laughed again, soft and breathless. "I just... I've been worried for so long. I thought if I said that to you, that you would hate me. I'm been thinking for a long time about how you would react. You would scoff and run away, reject me and tell me how disgusting I am... and yet, here you are, thinking about me, too." 

Minho smiled and scratched at the back of his head. "You're not... I wouldn't hate you." Minho frowned. "You're not disgusting."

"I am, though." Kibum smiled sadly, and wiped away his last tear, taking in a shuddering breath. "I'm sick and disgusting and warped. No one could ever love me. Not even my own parents."