Chapter 5

The Boundaries of Friendship

When Eunhyuk woke up, he was instantly blinded by the bright rays of sunlight shining through his bedroom window. He groaned and shifted slightly, only to realize that there was nowhere for him to move because Donghae was sleeping curled up next to him. Instantly he was wide awake and sat up, looking down at his boyfriend with a hint of a smile on his face. Even after two weeks of waking up next to him, Eunhyuk was still getting used to the idea that Donghae was going to be here every single day of the summer.

There was a soft knock on the door and Leeteuk called for them to get up, not to waste daylight. Eunhyuk rolled his eyes and gently shook Donghae awake, smiling at his boyfriend’s cute little moan of protest.

“Hae, wake up,” Eunhyuk whispered. Donghae peeked open his left eye and glared at Eunhyuk, shaking his head no and then going back to sleep. Eunhyuk grinned and leaned down, placing a soft chaste kiss on Donghae’s lips, and with that the younger of the two opened his eyes and smiled.

“I want to wake up like this every morning,” Donghae said dreamily, sitting up in bed. He blushed slightly at how cheesy that sounded, but gave Eunhyuk a good morning hug none the less.

“Come on, let’s get dressed and go eat,” Eunhyuk told him, climbing out of bed. Donghae nodded and did the same, going over to Eunhyuk’s dresser to pull out some clothes. Although he’d packed his own bag, he liked to wear Eunhyuk’s clothes. Because they smell just like him, Donghae thought while pulled a t-shirt over his head. He breathed in the scent happily and smiled to himself, and when Eunhyuk gave him a weird look he stuck his tongue out playfully.

After they were both dressed, the two lovers headed to the kitchen where the smell of coffee greeted them. As they walked in, they saw Leeteuk sitting at the kitchen table enjoying his morning cup of joe while texting on his phone.

“Morning,” Leeteuk said without looking up.

“Good morning, Teukie umma!” Donghae said brightly, walking over and giving him a big hug. Leeteuk smiled at him and ruffled his hair, and then Donghae sat across from him at the table as Eunhyuk got out two bowls from the cabinet.

“Teuk, what are you doing today?” Eunhyuk asked his brother curiously, bringing over the breakfast supplies to the table. He sat down next to Donghae and handed him a bowl and a spoon, pouring milk for him as well.

“I’m going out for a few hours today to meet up with Kangin. I offered to let Sungmin come over but apparently he’s out on a trip with some of his friends,” Leeteuk informed the two of them. Surprisingly enough, he and Kangin were on good terms again, at least for the moment, since Kangin had sobered up and was taking care of Sungmin.

“Out on a trip? Pssh, did you guys really believe that? Minnie’s at another one of those dumb ninja camps,” Eunhyuk laughed, knowing that every summer since they were fifteen Sungmin had been sneaking off to go learn how to kill people or something.

“Hyukkie! Don’t call it dumb, Min could kick your any day if he tried,” Donghae chided his boyfriend, gently smacking his arm before reaching for a box of Cocoa Cocoa Puffs.

 “Yeah right. Sungmin’s too much of a pansy to hurt anyone,” Eunhyuk replied with a roll of his eyes.

“And yet I clearly remember him beating you up when you were five because you threw sand at him. You cried for an hour straight in your room, refusing to come out,” Leeteuk said smugly, causing Donghae to laugh at his boyfriend.

“Hyung! Mind your own business!” Eunhyuk complained, pouting slightly. Leeteuk chuckled and stood up from the table.

“Alright, well I’m leaving now. Have fun today, be safe, don’t burn the house down, and don’t have in my house. You have your own for a reason,” He said, listing off the rules and both Donghae and Eunhyuk flushed with embarrassment.

Once Leeteuk was gone, they cleaned up breakfast and then wondered out of the house into the backyard, ready for another day of careless fun together. They walked hand in hand into the woods towards Eunhyuk’s house, having taken Leeteuk’s bit of advice (not about having though). It wasn’t a long trek and they arrived in no time. Eunhyuk pulled out his house key and unlocked the door, holding it open for Donghae.

“Ugh, it’s hot in here. Let’s open the windows,” Donghae said, frowning at the humidity inside the house.

“Oops, I forgot to turn on the AC last week,” Eunhyuk replied sheepishly, flipping on the lights as they walked through. They split up and went through the rooms, opening the windows wide to let in the fresh air. Eunhyuk stopped in the master bedroom and looked around fondly. The house wasn’t as big as Leeteuk’s but it was just as special. It was the last gift he’d gotten from his parents before they died and not just anyone could come here. This was where he wanted to spend his life with whomever he decided to marry.

“Hyukkie? Are you done? Let’s go play Mario Karts,” Donghae said, appearing in the doorway. Eunhyuk turned to him and nodded, smiling as they walked out together. And the person I want to spend the rest of my life with here is Donghae. No doubt about it, he thought happily, slipping his hand into Donghae’s as they walked into the living room.

“Can we play something other than Mario Karts? You always win that one,” Eunhyuk said as he walked over to the television and hooked up his X-Box.

“Awe, but you win every other game! I wanna play Mario Karts,” Donghae pouted, looking at Eunhyuk with his aegyo eyes. Eunhyuk smirked and shook his head, resisting the temptation of Donghae’s attempt to manipulate him into getting his own way.

“Nuh-uh, not happening, Fishy. Let’s just play something we both have an equal chance to win,” Eunhyuk said, shaking his head. Donghae huffed and walked over to the game cabinet and skimmed through all the games. Eunhyuk had a huge collection, which he spent all his time playing so he had the advantage.

“This isn’t fair. Don’t you have anything else? I’m just gonna lose,” Donghae whined, crossing his arms.

“We can go to the game store and buy something if you want. Just don’t rope me into getting another one of those retarded Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon games. I can’t believe how much you and Henry love those,” Eunhyuk said, rolling his eyes as he remembered that last time they had this conversation and went to the store. He ended up buying girlie games which had no point to them.

“Oh come on! They’re fun!” Donghae said with a grin as they walked out of the house together. Eunhyuk gave him a look to say ‘are you for real?’ as he locked the door, and then they were on their way.

“Hae, those are girl games…but I guess I see why you like them so much. You are the girl in this relationship,” Eunhyuk teased, poking his boyfriend in the side. Donghae stopped walking instantly and looked at Eunhyuk with the most shocked expression.

“I AM NOT A GIRL! And those aren’t girl games! They clearly have boy characters in them, so ha!” He exclaimed loudly, purposely swatting Eunhyuk’s hand away as he tried to grab hold of his.

“Yeah, for gay guys,” Eunhyuk replied as they continued on walking.

“I am gay. And so are you. Pretty much everyone we know is gay and I bet they’d all love playing those games as well. I win. End of conversation,” Donghae replied, purposely flicking his hand in a very diva-ish manner, causing Eunhyuk to laugh at him.

They arrived into town almost twenty minutes later. The sun was beating down on them, both feeling hot and sweaty. When the game shop came into site they raced each other there, pushing each other out of the way to get through the front door where they were met with a big breeze of air conditioning.

Fanning themselves with their hands, Donghae and Eunhyuk walked through the store together looking for something to buy. They stood next to each other silently and looked through rows of games from all over the world, but nothing seemed to jump out at them. That is, until someone held out a game called Starcraft.

“Here, if you’re looking for a game to get, this is a really good one,” A boy said. They both looked up and saw a boy with wavy brown hair about their age standing before them.

“Hey, I’m Kyuhyun.”


Heechul and Hongki sat down at the beach on a towel, watching as the kids went crazy in the lake. Hongki couldn’t but smile as Mir ran and jumped on top of Henry, dunking his brother into the water and laughing like crazy. He always enjoyed watching the two boys bond together; it made him feel that he’d made good choices while they were growing up. To this day, he had never been more thankful to his seventeen year old self that he’d accepted the job as Henry’s baby-sitter. If that had never had happened I’d have never been blessed with my precious son, Hongki thought, smiling slightly.

Next to him, Heechul was squirming in his spot. The sand kept getting on the towel and on his feet, making him think that there was a spider or something crawling on him. It was hot and the sun was beating down on him, making him hot and sweaty, a feeling that he absolutely loathed. But still, he was glad that he came (sort of) or else he’d be missing out on good memories with his boys. But next time they went on vacation he was going to make damn sure they stayed at a nice hotel instead. One with a pool so the boys could still have fun. Them and water and being wet and…ughh I have to pee, he thought with a frown. But as he looked around he saw that there was no bathroom (not that he minded, because he’d stepped into the one near the camp site and it was just terribly dirty).

“Hongki, I have to pee. Take me to the bathroom,” Heechul said, tugging on his best friend’s arm and Hongki looked at him with an amused expression.

“Chul, look around you. What do you see?” He said with a smile.

“Not a bathroom, obviously. Let’s go, I really have to pee,” Heechul said desperately.

“Trees. Take your pick,” Hongki replied, gesturing to the tall trees surrounding them.

“Are you out of your mind!? That’s disgusting! Ew! Hell no! God, what is wrong with you, you freak!” Heechul exclaimed in aghast. The very thought of urinating in public was just…so wrong.

“Well I guess you’re out of luck then,” Hongki replied carelessly, although he was laughing on the inside. At that moment, Mir scrambled up to his parents.

“I have to pee!” He said as he walked past them. Heechul stared at his son with wide eyes and quickly reached out to stop him from going any further.

“You are not doing that on a tree! Mir! No! Ugh, come with me to the bathroom. Oh my gosh, Hongki! I can’t believe all these years you’ve been letting my baby pee on trees! I’m never letting you take him camping again!” Heechul screeched, pulling Mir back towards their campsite where the bathroom was.

As they walked away, Hongki shook his head.

Oh, Heechul…you’re so prude.