Chapter 27

The Boundaries of Friendship

Kibum lay in bed with his eyes closed breathing shallowly as his mind slowly worked its way to consciousness. His eyelids fluttered and he groaned softly as he started coming to his senses, but he willed himself not to wake up when a sudden, pulsing pain surged through his body. Eyes snapping open, Kibum gasped when he moved barely an inch and his ribs felt like someone had just taken a sludge hammer to him.

“Kibum? Are you awake?” A whispered voice asked, and when Kibum turned his head, wincing as bright sunlight took over his vision, he saw Donghae sitting next to him on the bed. A bed that was not his own. Kibum glanced around anxiously trying to figure out where he was, and when he tried to sit up he was pushed back down on the pillows.

“Relax, don’t try and move; hyung said your ribs are bruised. Are you in a lot of pain? I have some painkillers right here that you can take with your usual meds,” Donghae offered quickly, turning to the nightstand and picking up three pills. Kibum accepted them and then was handed a glass of warm water, and he quickly swallowed all three in one go.

Everything was quiet for a moment and Kibum looked around the room, realizing that he was currently residing in Henry’s bed, judging by all the Chinese decorations on the walls. He sighed softly and closed his eyes, taking a moment to remember what exactly had happened. His mind felt groggy from just waking up, but slowly the memories of yesterday flooded his mind. I was in bed because I felt faint. Mir came to talk to me and then Key interrupted. Something about stuffed animals, and then –

“Where’s my blanket?! Donghae, the pink blanket, where is it? What did they do with it, I need to have it! It’s the only thing I have! Please, oh no, did they ruin it?” Kibum asked frantically, his heart racing wildly. Donghae calmly pointed at Kibum with a grin twitching at his lip, and when Kibum glanced down he saw that he was clutching the pink blanket in his good hand, sighing loudly in relief.

“Hyung said that you have to stay in bed except for going to the bathroom. Unless you want to go lay on the couch, then I’ll help you walk out. But he said that you aren’t allowed to walk around because you’re hurt,” Donghae said, watching his brother closely.

“Where is hyung?” Kibum asked, carefully rolling onto his side. His back didn’t hurt, but it felt crampy from laying in the same position all night. Whatever the doctor had given him had completely knocked him out, not that he was complaining. It’d been a few days since he’d gotten a good night’s sleep.

“He had to go to some meeting. He told you last night, don’t you remember? You woke up crying because your arm hurt,” Donghae explained, looking at his brother curiously. Kibum shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. When he didn’t reply, Donghae continued on. “Hyung is going to see Leeteuk since it’s a business meeting.”

Although he said it casually, Kibum could sense more meaning behind that sentence and knew exactly what was going through his brother’s mind. If Heechul and Leeteuk were on better terms, then perhaps Eunhyuk would come around too. But Kibum didn’t know what to say to that, because it had so many doors open. So instead, he improvised quickly and changed the subject.

“Um, I’m hungry…can you get me something to eat?” He asked hopefully as his stomach gave a rumble. Donghae’s eyes widened, sparkling with excitement and he quickly rolled off the bed.

“Sure! I’ll make you some eggs, does that sound good? You need to eat something good since you missed dinner last night. Oh! I’ll even add in some food coloring so they turn green, just like that one book!” He exclaimed excitedly, running out of the room.

“Wait! I just want some pop…tarts,” Kibum tried to stop him, but it was too late. He grimaced slightly at the thought of Donghae actually making him food.

While waiting for his brother to return, Kibum slowly adjusted himself on the bed so he was sitting up. Although it wasn’t a particularly difficult task, it really did hurt to move too much and he couldn’t help but feel angry towards Mir and Key for getting him worked up yesterday. He knew that they were just having fun, but he’d ask them to stop and give the blanket back.

Sighing softly, Kibum closed his eyes.

Why is it always me?

“Okay, here’s your food! Doesn’t it look yummy? I made myself some too,” Donghae announced proudly as he re-entered the room. Kibum glanced at him warily and eyed the plate of green, gooey, eggs and suddenly wished that he hadn’t asked at all.

“Um, thanks, Hae. It looks…um, green?” Kibum said, using his fork to poke the eggs. Donghae smiled happily and took a bite, wriggling his shoulders excitedly. Not wanting to hurt his brother’s feelings, Kibum brought a forkful to his mouth; they weren’t that bad, but definitely not as good as Heechul’s.

“So, hyung won’t be back until later this afternoon so I’m going to take care of you, at least until I have to leave and go over to Hongki’s. Do you want me to bring you anything from your room? Books, your sketchpad, anything?” Donghae said.

“No, I don’t want to be stuck in here all day. I walked perfectly fine yesterday, I can walk today,” Kibum said, furrowing his brows slightly.

“Have you not seen the bruises on your body? Doesn’t it hurt?” Donghae asked incredulously. Kibum shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.

“You just gave me a painkiller, of course it doesn’t hurt. Much. Kinda. Anyways, I need to tell you something,” Kibum answered, setting his plate aside. He looked Donghae in the eyes and waited for a moment before speaking.

“Tiffany is here.”

There was a silence and Donghae sighed softly, eyes cast down. He looked at Kibum for a moment and saw his eyes sparkling with hope.

“Kibum…Tiffany’s gone, you know that,” He said quietly, taking Kibum’s hand into his own.

“No, she’s back. I saw her name in the log book at the hospital, she was there!” Kibum replied earnestly. Donghae studied him for a second before shaking his head and grabbing their plates.

“You were probably just imagining it. You miss her and you want her to come back. Just forget about it, okay?” He said, walking out of the room. Kibum stared after him hopelessly and frowned slightly.

I’m not imagining anything. Tiffany’s back, and I’m going to find her.


I bet you're dying to know what happened ;)