Chapter 16

The Boundaries of Friendship

Despite this being a crappy chapter, please comment on BOTH updates I gave.


“Okay, I’m leaving now. Don’t open the door for strangers, no touching the stove, and behave yourselves,” Heechul said from where he stood by the front door. It was Friday afternoon and he was leaving for the weekend with Hongki and Mir, leaving Donghae and Kibum home alone.

“Bye, hyung, have fun!” Donghae said with a smile, stepping forward to give Heechul a tight hug. He’d been in a better mood for the past few days, even if it was a cover up. After the way he’d treated Kibum he had felt really guilty and decided to fake a smile for his brother.

“Call me if there are any problems, okay? I love you,” Heechul said, pulling Kibum in for a hug.

“I love you too,” Kibum murmured, pushing Heechul off of him.

“Alright, see you on Monday,” Heechul said, waving one last time before he picked up his bag and walked out of the the house.  Once the door was shut, Kibum turned and walked back upstairs to his room, but Donghae stayed behind and watched out the window as the car pulled out of the drive way and drove away. Once the car was out of sight, Donghae trudged upstairs to Kibum’s room and pushed the door open.

“Let’s go to town and do something,” He said, flopping belly first on the bed. Kibum glanced up from the book he was reading and stared at his brother.

“Why?” He asked curiously, since Donghae hadn’t wanted to do anything lately. He was always hiding out in his room brooding and sulking.

“Because I’m bored and I want to hang out with you?” Donghae replied, rolling his eyes at his brother. Kibum shrugged and turned his attention back to his book.

“I don’t want to,” He said simply. Donghae scowled and crawled to the head of the bed to sit next to him, yanking the book out of his hands.

“You’ve been distant with me all week, Kibum, and to hyung. We apologized to you, why are you being like this?” He confronted his brother.

I’m being distant?” Kibum repeated incredulously.

“Yes, you are! You’ve been quiet and spending more time in here than usual. So what’s going on in your head, why are you being like this?” Donghae demanded, crossing his arms like he was in charge.

“Because! You’ve been all depressed and hyung’s always mad and fighting and neither of you tell me anything!” Kibum exclaimed, turning away so Donghae didn’t see that his eyes had filled with tears. He heard Donghae sighed softly and scoot over next to him.

“Why are you crying?” He asked.

“I’m not,” Kibum mumbled as he wiped away a stray tear. Donghae smiled and wrapped his arm around his brother and knocked him backward and leaned over him.

“You’re a baby, Kibum. Why should I talk to you about my problems?” He said, raising his eyebrows coolly.

“Because we’re brothers and that’s what families do,” Kibum whispered. Donghae sighed and rested his forehead against Kibum’s and closed his eyes.

“I know, Bummie. But you’re so sensitive about everything, I don’t want to bother you,” He said softly. Kibum frowned and sat up, taking Donghae’s hand into his own.

“It’s not a bother, Hae, I want to be able to help you,” Kibum told him earnestly. Donghae smiled softly and nodded his head.

“Alright, then next time I need a good cry I’ll come to you, okay?” He said.

“Okay,” Kibum replied, wiping away the last of his tears. Donghae chuckled and ruffled his hair before getting off the bed.

“Come on, I want to go out,” He said, pulling Kibum out the door.

It was pretty hot outside, stepping out of the air conditioned house. As they walked through towards town, Kibum looked up at the August sky and saw several large, dark ominous clouds that were bringing another late summer storm. Whatever Donghae had hoped to do in town probably wasn’t going to happen, because Kibum could already feel sprinkles hit his arms.

“Hae, maybe we should just go get a few movies and go home. It’s going to storm,” Kibum said as they stepped onto the sidewalk. Donghae glanced up and huffed defeatedly; staying home just didn’t sound appealing. But since Heechul was gone…they had free reign to do whatever.

“Alright, but let’s get R-rated movies,” Donghae replied with a grin.

“Donghae, we are not watching , let alone gay ,” Kibum said, cringing at the thought of it. Donghae laughed and pulled him into the movie rental shop.

“You’re so prude, Kibum. I meant scary movies,” He said, heading over to the horror film aisle. While he searched the movie shelves, Kibum trailed behind him not caring what movie his brother picked out. In the end, no matter what movie they watched he knew that Donghae was just going to bail out and want to watch Finding Nemo instead.

“There, I think that’s good enough,” Donghae said contently, holding out two movies.

“If you say so. Hurry up so we can get home before it starts pouring,” Kibum said, glancing out the window as thunder rolled through the sky. He tapped his foot impatiently as Donghae paid the three dollar rental fee and then they headed out together. It was already raining when they got outside and Kibum wished they’d brought an umbrella or something.

“Wait, let’s go to the store and buy snacks!” Donghae exclaimed, grabbing Kibum’s hand and pulling him into the convenience store. Kibum didn’t even protest to this. After five months of sugar ban, there was no way he could pass this up. They spent nearly half an hour in the store going through each aisle, snagging every unhealthy snack they could get their hands on, wanting to enjoy every moment of their weekend of freedom as possible. However, after they paid for their snacks and turned to leave, they saw that it was pouring rain outside.

“You didn’t bring an umbrella, did you?” Kibum asked with a grin.

“Nope,” Donghae replied, peering out the glass doors; it didn’t look like it was going to let up.

“Didn’t think so. I guess we’re just going to have to run,” Kibum said, tightening his grip on the bag.

“We could be like that old lady and put a plastic bag on our heads!” Donghae suggested pointing across the street where there was a little old lady with a plastic bag over her hair. Kibum sighed exasperatedly and gave him a look before stepping in front of the sensors that made the doors slide open.

“Ready…set…GO!”

They ran out into the rain, instantly getting soaked. Thunder rolled and lightening flashed, but it only made the experience more fun. But the rain made the ground slippery, and as they rounded the corner near the park Donghae lost his balance and crashed into someone walking the opposite direction. Kibum would have laughed at the sight, but he saw that it was Key that Donghae had crashed into.

And he was bleeding pretty badly.


/fail what a horribly written chapter.