Chapter 1

The Boundaries of Friendship

The house was quiet and still, as it had been for the past two weeks. Heechul and Kibum sat in the living room together, enjoying the peaceful silence and the nice breeze blowing in from the open window, both reading a book of their choice. For Kibum, he was reading another book that he’d found at the library, a fantasy book about magic and elves. As for Heechul, he was enjoying his favorite type of book – trashy novels. All was going well when suddenly Kibum’s phone started vibrating nonstop from where he’d set it on the coffee table. Sighing in frustration, since he was just getting to the good part, Kibum reached over and grabbed his phone, only to see that he had seven new text messages from Mir and Henry.

< Bummie! You’re coming camping with us this weekend! >

< Kibuuuuum, we’re going camping! Appa said you could come too! >

< Isn’t that exciting?! Hurry up and pack! We’re coming to kidnap you soon! >

< When you least expect it! Be ready! >

< It’s going to be super fun! Just the three of us! Plus appa but he doesn’t count. >

< We can all share a tent together! We get to sleep together! >

< Kibum, I’m taking Mir and Henry camping this weekend and they insist that you accompany us. We’ll be there to pick you up in an hour. They won’t take no for an answer, sorry. >

Kibum chuckled and sat up, letting his book fall to the floor.

“Hyung, apparently I’m going camping with Henry and Mir,” He said, looking over at Heechul. Heechul looked up from his book with a curious look in his eyes.

“Camping? Ew, why would you want to camp outside in the dirty wilderness?” He said, cringing at the mere thought of it.

“Who knows? But Hongki says they’re coming in an hour, so I’m going to go pack,” Kibum replied standing up. But before he could go anyways, Heechul stopped him.

“You can’t go, Kibum! You’re just going to leave your hyung home all alone? And what if you get eaten alive by mosquitoes and catch malaria and die?” Heechul exclaimed with wide eyes, and Kibum looked at him incredulously.

“Hyung, have you ever been camping?” He asked in an amused tone, and Heechul shook his head no. “Oh, the you should come with us. Please? I don’t want to go if you’ll be lonely here.”

“Me? Camping? You’re out of your mind, Kibum,” Heechul scoffed, going back to his book.

 Kibum rolled his eyes and left the room, heading upstairs to his bedroom. He walked to his closet and grabbed a bag and went to his dresser to start pulling out clothes. As unexpected as this was, he was glad that they wanted him to go. It’d been two weeks since he’d seen Mir or Henry, even though they talked every day, because they’d gone to stay with Hongki. Of course, he’d been offered to go but he declined, not wanting to interfere with the whole father-sons bonding time.

After he finished packing his clothes, Kibum set the bag aside and sat on the edge of his bed and looked around his room for anything else he might want to take with him. All he could think of was his sketch book and picture book, but he’d never risk taking them out of the house in case anything happened to them. I guess that’s it then. I should leave my phone home too, I doubt where ever we go will have any reception, he thought, placing his cell on the bed next to him. Sure that he had everything, he picked up his bag and went back downstairs to the living room.

“Don’t forget you medicine,” Heechul reminded him, not looking up from his book. Kibum nodded and headed into the kitchen to grab his orange bottle of pills from the cabinet and then came back to stuff it in his bag.

“Hyung, I’m going to leave my phone here, okay?” Kibum said, standing up from zipping his bag closed.

“What? Then how am I going to be able to talk to you and make sure you’re okay?” Heechul replied unhappily as Kibum sat down on the couch again.

“I don’t know; Hongki will probably have his phone, right? And Henry definitely will because he can’t go an hour without talking to Zhou Mi. Ha, he’s going to have a long week ahead of him,” Kibum laughed, smirking at the thought of it. Heechul sighed and tossed his book aside, now completely distracted.

“How is it that just a few months ago you wouldn’t even think about leaving me but now you’re off excavating in the wilderness with no way to contact me by your own will?” Heechul huffed, crossing his arms in irritation.

“That’s not true, I stayed with Teukie umma for an entire week without you!” Kibum denied, shaking his head with a grin.

“That doesn’t count! And besides, you called me every night in tears, begging me to come rescue you,” Heechul retorted.

“Oh, whatever! And anyways, I’m not going by my own will, they’re kidnapping me,” Kibum told him, rolling his eyes. Heechul snorted and shook his head, going back to his book once again. Kibum impatiently tapped his fingers against the armrest of the couch, waiting for the moment he would hear the car pull up in the driveway and Henry and Mir come barging in noisily with duct tape and rope to kidnap and drag him away. And it wasn’t long before this happened, because fifteen minutes later Kibum perked up when he heard a car door slam outside.

“They’re here!” He said, sitting up excitedly.

“Oh, so eager to leave me, are you?” Heechul scoffed, glowering at him mockingly. Kibum ignored him and quickly ran into the living room as the front door opened, immediately throwing his arms around Mir for a tight hug.

“Mireu! I missed you a lot!” He exclaimed loudly.

“I missed you too, Kibum!” Mir replied happily, before being pulled away by his brother.

“What about me? Did you miss me too?” Henry demanded of Kibum.

“No, not at all,” Kibum replied sticking his tongue out.

“Alright, alright you guys! Kibum, do you have everything?” Hongki interrupted them, and Kibum nodded. “Good. Go get in the cars. CHUL WE’RE LEAVING!” He called out.

“I’m sitting by Kibum!” Henry claimed, running out the front door.

“No you’re not! I am!” Mir objected, pushing him away from the car door as Kibum slid in. Kibum rolled his eyes and sat in the middle seat and gave them each a look. As they all got buckled and Hongki started the car, Kibum glanced back at the house one last time. It was going to be an entire week without Heechul, but Kibum was excited to go out with his brothers and have fun camping.

Just as Hongki was about to step on the gas pedal and drive on, he suddenly sighed, looking into the rear view mirror only to see Heechul rushing out of the house and waving his hands wildly.

“WAIT! I want to go too!” Heechul yelled.

Half an hour later, they were all settled in the car; Heechul and Hongki in the front and the three boys in the back. As they set off, Kibum smiled to himself.

This was the start of a new adventure.