Chapter 30

The Boundaries of Friendship

So before we get started I wanted to say something. I wrote this chapter three times and none of them sounded good at all and I'm still not happy with the way it is now, so whatever. Crappy chapter. Sorry.


“How did it go with Tiffany? She looks so grown up now,” Heechul commented as he drove through the city streets and headed back home. Kibum peered over at him with a sparkle in his eyes and a grin twitching at his lips, and nodded.

“Yeah, I’m really glad she’s back; even if it is for a week. But we have a lot to talk about, though,” Kibum answered, leaning his head against the window. Heechul nodded silently as the car came to a halt at a red light.

“I’m sure you two will work everything out. You just can’t keep away from each other,” He replied. Kibum shrugged his shoulders and glanced away, his expression dropping a bit. The conversation ended there and the rest of the ride home was a comfortable silence.

After dropping Kibum off, Heechul left to go pick Mir up from school and head to the store to grocery shop. Once the car was out of sight, Kibum slowly walked into the house and kicked his shoes off at the entrance. Although he knew that Donghae was the only person home, he noted that it was oddly silent. Usually when he had the house to himself Donghae would blast music or play video games with the volume all the way up, to get into the ‘mode’ of playing he said. Figuring that his brother had probably gone out, Kibum walked towards the hall to check Donghae’s room just in case. However, he did not make it that far because the moment he set foot in the hall he saw that the door to Eunhyuk’s room was cracked open.

His first thought was to turn around and go to his room, that Donghae was in there and wanted to be alone, but when he heard a soft sniffling sound and instantly knew that his brother was crying, he couldn’t turn away. He shuffled over to the door and peeked inside, and there he saw Donghae sitting on the edge of Eunhyuk’s bed with his arms wrapped around himself. Feeling his heart twist, Kibum pushed through the door and went to his brother and gave him a hug, believing that no one should have to hug themselves.

“Donghae, why are you crying? In here? Did Eunhyuk do something? Do I have to hurt him?” He questioned, earning a small smile from his brother. Donghae pushed him off and he sat beside him, taking his hand into his own.

“No, it’s nothing. It’s just…sometimes I come in here and sleep in his bed because I miss him so much,” Donghae confessed, quickly wiping away his tears. It was silly to cry over something to futile.

“Awe, well don’t think about it too much, okay? Just keep thinking positively and everything will work out. If you really love Eunhyuk then don’t give up on him, ‘kay?” Kibum encouraged him brightly. Donghae stared at him incredulously, snorting at how cheesy Kibum just sounded, and shook his head in disbelief.

“You’re so weird, Kibum,” He said, referring to the constant mood changes from his brother. He tugged on Kibum’s hand and stood up, beckoning him to follow out of the room; it was awkward to have a conversation in there. After leaving for the living room, they settled onto the couches and the conversation changed to a more, hopefully, pleasant topic.

“So I was right, Tiffany really is back,” Kibum told Donghae smugly, wriggling his shoulders haughtily.

“Oh? Well, sorry for not believing you. I just didn’t want to get your hopes up and crushed again; it’d been so long,” Donghae apologized, slightly surprised. He hadn’t actually expected her to be back, especially after what had happened. Getting hit by a car was enough.

“Eh, whatever. But we have a lot to talk about, though,” Kibum replied, and Donghae looked at him excitedly. He knew what this meant; gossip.

“Spill, now.”

Kibum enthusiastically retold every little detail of his hospital adventure, going down to what her hair looked like and how she still smelled like strawberries and cream. Donghae could only listen with a smile on his face while Kibum talked. It’d been too long since he’d seen his brother this happy, and of course it would be about a girl. However, he was surprised, and slightly angry, when Kibum informed him about the new boyfriend with the weird name.

“She has a new boyfriend?” He asked disbelievingly, and Kibum nodded with a grimace on his face.

“Yeah, his name is Marcus. Tall, blonde hair blue eyed, and everything Tiffany hates in a guy. I just don’t get why she would get another boyfriend. I mean, it was too easy to get her to admit she still loves me and…I don’t know, Hae,” Kibum confessed helplessly. He just didn’t know what to think about the situation, it was confusing and messed up.

Donghae sensed his dismal and have his hand a squeeze.

“Well, how do you feel about her? I mean, is she really worth everything?” He asked quietly. He glanced over at Kibum, unsure of how he would react to the question, and much to his surprise he found Kibum looking at him with wide eyes and nodding devotedly.

“She is! Oh, she totally is. Donghae, Tiffany is amazing. I mean, I’m not saying that just to be an obsessed boyfriend, but even as a friend. Like, all last year when I was going through…everything, she stuck by my side through the worst of it,” Kibum told him, and Donghae looked at him weirdly.

“But she broke up with you last summer,” He said slowly. But Kibum shrugged carelessly and brushed the hair out of his eyes, smiling at his brother.

“Yeah, well, so? You don’t understand, Hae. Tiffany is worth more than the world, and I’m not giving her up for anything. All that matters is that I love her and she loves me. I know we fight all the time and all we do is argue, but I just love her. She’s really special to me,” He said with a gentle look in his eyes and a serene smile on his face.

Silence filled the air for a few minutes before Donghae shrugged.

“You’re right. I don’t understand and I never will. You two seriously have the strangest relationship I’ve ever heard of. But hey, if you love each other…so what you going to do? Isn’t she going back to America next week?” Donghae questioned.

“I don’t know. We have a lot to talk about. But we decided to get married again,” Kibum said with a smile, always enjoying their reality joke. Donghae sighed loudly and rolled his eyes, standing up and heading towards the kitchen with Kibum following him.

“You guys are crazy. Just get married already and get it over with,” He said, opening the fridge to scour for food. While he hadn’t meant it to be taken seriously, Kibum’s eyes widened when he heard it.

Get married now.

What a perfect idea.

“Oh my gosh! Donghae! I should propose to her and…oh wait, I don’t have a ring or money to get one,” Kibum said, turning glum. Donghae gave him a look, pulling out the milk and drinking it from the carton (which Heechul would kill him for if he ever found out) and flicked Kibum on the forehead.

“One, I was just joking. Two, you’re crazy. Both of you. Three, yes you do have a ring and money to buy a new one,” He said, moving to sit at the table. Kibum frowned slightly and sat across him.

“What are you talking about?” He asked. Donghae looked anywhere except for his brother, biting the inside of his lip timidly. He knew he wasn’t supposed to tell Kibum, Heechul had sworn him not to, saying that it would just make him upset and set him back from all the progress he’d made or whatever. But Donghae didn’t know how to keep secrets, so he opened his mouth and blurted out everything.

“After your parents died everything was left to you and Heechul knew you wouldn’t want to claim anything or go back to your old house. It was when he brought all of Dayeun’s stuff…but he has some of your parent’s things too. Including their wedding rings. And…well, apparently your dad had a life insurance policy on everyone so when they all died…well, the lawyer told hyung that they refused to use any of the money from when your sister, um, passed away, so…yeah. You kind of have a mini fortune,” Donghae explained quickly.

Kibum stared at him with a blank expression on his face.

What other secrets was Heechul hiding from him?

Donghae watched Kibum and instantly regretted saying anything.

“Kibum,” He said softly, leaning over to place his hand on Kibum’s shoulder. But Kibum just shrugged him away and stood up.

“Come on, Donghae. We’re going shopping,” He said defiantly before stalking into the foyer to put his shoes back on. Donghae’s eyes widened slightly and he quickly followed Kibum out the front door.

“What are you doing, Kibum?” He asked worriedly, hoping his brother wasn’t about to do something bad. He hurriedly moved his legs to keep up with Kibum, who was pretty much speed walking his way towards town.

“I’m going to buy Tiffany an engagement ring.”


No, Kibum is not angry. He's being spontaneous.

On a side note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIFFANY!! <3 <3