Chapter 28

The Boundaries of Friendship

When the clock began to chime when it struck six, Kibum sighed softly and closed his eyes. The day was growing late and he was home alone, listening to the creaking of the house. Everything was still and quiet and it made him feel restless, wishing ardently for Heechul to hurry and return home for he was now three hours late. Opening his eyes, Kibum peered around the living room and looked for something to entertain himself. He’d been sitting in there all day and he was growing tired of his surroundings already. Glancing longingly out at the staircase, he mentally debated whether or not he could manage to get upstairs without getting hurt again. He put his pain level at six and decided that he’d take the risk; anything was better than sitting on the couch for another moment.

Ignoring the jabbing pain that shot through his ribs as he got to his feet, Kibum took a deep breath and began to shuffle towards the foyer, his good arm wrapped across his middle to dull the ache. Every step he took up the stairs was excruciating, but he refused to stop until he reached his room, smiling proudly when he stepped through his door. After flipping on the lights, he dragged his feet over to his desk and sat down, letting out a slow, deep breath at the amount of energy that had taken. his lips, he pulled open the desk drawer and took out a stack of papers, tossing them before him. There were about fifteen pieces of paper, each folded into small squares to hide the content written on them.

They were old letters from Tiffany. Kibum stared at them, void of emotion. He didn’t care what Donghae had said; Tiffany was here, she was back home and he was determined to find her. It won’t be hard, she was at the hospital. I have to go back tomorrow anyways so I’ll just ask someone if she’s there. I hope she’s okay, I mean why would she be back at the hospital here of all places? I can’t wait to see her, it’s been so long and I miss –

“Kibum, I’m home!”

If he was a dog, his ears would have perked up instantly. A rush of adrenaline filled his pores and Kibum felt his heart skip a beat.

“Hyung, I’m upstairs!” He called back eagerly. As footsteps were heard coming up the stairs, Kibum quickly stood up, and when Heechul stepped through the door he ran and threw his arm around him tightly.

“What are you doing up here, Kibum? Did Donghae help you up the stairs before he left? You didn’t walk up by yourself, did you? Kibum! You can’t be doing that, you’re still hurt!” Heechul exclaimed frantically, but giving Kibum a stern look. But Kibum tossed that aside and grinned happily as he peered up at Heechul.

“But, hyung, I’m fine,” He drawled, giving him another hug. Heechul sighed and gave him a look before gently pushing him away and they both walked over to the bed to sit down.

“How are you feeling? Are you hurting at all?” Heechul asked, but he wasn’t entirely worried since Kibum had a sparkle in his eye and a smile on his face.

“Just a little, but I’m okay. What took you so long to get home?” Kibum asked curiously, flopping backwards onto his mattress.

“The meeting ran long since we’re opening another store on the site. And then…Teuk and I went out to talk for awhile,” Heechul replied slowly.  Kibum frowned softly and sat back up, the mood suddenly toning down.

“Are you guys still fighting?” He asked quietly, tracing his fingers on the ridges of his white cast. Heechul opened his mouth to answer, but closed it just as quickly. The conversation paused for a moment as he thought about how to answer the question.

“No, we’re not fighting. But…we have decided that it would be best to take a break for awhile,” Heechul answered hesitantly.

“But why?” Kibum asked as sorrow filled his heart. He didn’t like the idea of Heechul and Leeteuk, his parental figures, not being together anymore. What did it mean? How did that affect his relationship with Eunhyuk and Henry? Or better yet, how would Henry and Mir take it?

“Because, it’s not good to be in a relationship if you are always fighting. Don’t worry, this isn’t forever. I still love Leeteuk very much and he still loves me, and nothing changes between you kids. This isn’t the first time we’ve done this,” Heechul explained. Kibum nodded slightly and shrugged his shoulders.

“If you say so,” He responded grimly. Heechul gave him a gentle smile and ruffled his hair affectionately.

“Don’t worry about it, everything is okay. You can even call Teuk and ask him if you want,” He replied, but Kibum shook his head.

“No, I trust you,” He told Heechul, returning the smile.

“Good. So, what did you do today?” Heechul asked, changing the conversation. He hadn’t been able to talk to either of the boys for most of the day since where the conference was held didn’t have phone service.

“I slept, stared at the wall, ate Donghae’s crappy cooking, stared at my cast trying to decide whether or not I’ll let Donghae and Mir color on it, and stared at the wall some more. But mostly, I was thinking,” Kibum informed him, his lips twitching slightly. Heechul nodded and pulled Kibum into his embrace, holding onto him closely.

“Oh, and what were you thinking about?” He asked interestedly. Kibum shrugged and leaned his head against Heechul’s chest and closed his eyes, breathing in the scent that he loved so much.

“A little bit of everything, I guess. But hyung, last night while we were at the hospital I saw Tiffany’s name in the log book. Did you see it?” He said softly, his voice full of hope.

“I don’t know, Kibum. I was just concerned on getting you home and in bed. I must’ve overlooked it. We can ask around tomorrow when we go for your blood draw,” Heechul answered, and Kibum smiled happily. At least hyung believes me. You’re wrong, Hae, I’m not imagining anything, he thought brightly.

“Okay, but hyung, I know the stronger prescription is working perfectly fine. My head feels better, I can think clearer again,” Kibum replied, tilting his head up to look at Heechul with bright eyes.

“Good, I’m glad. You still have to go see Jia, though,” Heechul told him, crushing Kibum’s hope. Kibum rolled his eyes and pulled away from Heechul.

“Ugh, whatever. Anyways, can you make dinner? I’m really hungry, I haven’t eaten since breakfast. Hae made me blue, slimy eggs and for lunch he made…well, I’m not sure what he made but I told him that my stomach hurt so I didn’t have to eat it,” He said, grimacing as he remembered the gooey blob of whatever that Donghae had tried to serve him a few hours ago. He’d refused to eat it, especially since Donghae wouldn’t eat it either (and he knew that his brother had stopped in the burger shop before going over to Hongki’s. Donghae was a terrible brother).

Heechul laughed and stood up.

“Alright, I’ll go start dinner. You stay up here, don’t you go near those stairs again. We can eat in my room and watch TV together, that one movie you wanted to see is on demand.”

As Kibum wobbled across the hall, Heechul watched him with a smile on his face. Whether it was the new medication or the news of Tiffany, Kibum was happy and that’s all Heechul wanted for his baby.


Next chapter we find out what's up with Tiffany! You guys are going to be so shocked!

Anyways, I've got ask...do you guys not like Static? No one's been commenting on it...I'm not trying to be comment greedy, I just want to know if it's something you guys want to read or not. I worked really hard to fix everything up for you guys...