Chapter 23

The Boundaries of Friendship

Before you read, I need you guys to think about something. This story can go two ways, but end the same way I originally planned. Do you want me to add more angst/drama or have things calm down a bit?


Late the next afternoon, Donghae and Key were in the kitchen cleaning up a bit after a late lunch. Although he was not part of the household, Key still helped out around the house when he stayed for more than one day. He was expected to do the same when he stayed with his friends, so it just felt natural to help with the chores while he was staying with Heechul. But today was the last day he was planning on staying for awhile. School began next Monday and he had things he needed to do before that happened; namely hanging out with his friends and spending time with his boyfriend, as he so often told anyone that would listen.

As he put away the clean dishes, Key couldn’t help but glance every now and then out the doorway and towards the stairs. Kibum hadn’t left his room all day and Key wondered if he was getting hungry or something. But Donghae assured him that this was normal and not to worry about it; but Key just couldn’t help himself.

“Hey, do you want to go to the arcade when we’re done? Since you’re leaving and all I thought we could do something fun together,” Donghae said, breaking the long silence. Key glanced at him as he carefully placed the glass cups in a high cabinet, and smiled at him thoughtfully.

“Sure,” He replied. He paused for a moment as he began to pull out plates and then discretely added, “Maybe Kibum could come too?”

“Nah, he at playing games,” Donghae denied, but it was really because he knew that Kibum didn’t want to be bothered. It wasn’t rocket science to figure out what had happened, even if Heechul hadn’t said anything. He knew something happened to his brother and he freaked out, but what he wanted to know was why it happened in the first place. Bummie doesn’t get like that for no reason. Have I not been paying him enough attention? After Key leaves I’ll go up to talk to him, Donghae decided as he helped Key put away the last few dishes.

After they’d finished and dried their hands, Donghae left to go to his room for awhile and Key headed upstairs to the guest room where he’d been staying to gather up his belongings. As he slowly packed up his clothes, he could hear a vague sniffling sound coming from Kibum’s room. He stopped what he was doing for a moment and sat on his bed, frowning slightly. Listening for a few minutes, he realized that Kibum was crying. Although he’d been warned to stay away from Kibum, Key stood up and walked over to knock on the door and once again invited himself in. Just like yesterday, Kibum was laying in bed, only this time he was crying.

“Hey,” Key said quietly, closing the door behind him. Kibum looked up at him with tearful eyes and choked back a sob, hugging one of Mir’s stuffed animals close to him.

“P-Please…pl-please just l-leave me al-alone,” He cried softly, burying his head in his tear-soaked pillow. Key frowned softly as he watched Kibum cry miserably. He felt torn; half of him wanted to just go back to his room, but the better half of him wanted to stay, and so that’s what he did. Slowly walking over, he sat on the edge of the bed and hesitantly lifted his hand, placing it on Kibum’s back.

“Don’t cry, Kibum,” He said softly, patting him softly. But his attempts did nothing to get Kibum to stop crying and he could only watch helpless as the elder cried his heart out.

“I-I didn’t d-do any-anything to y-you…”

“What are you talking about?” Key asked, feeling his heart sink a bit. Kibum struggled to get a hold of himself, but failed. When the tears started it was hard to stop.

“Y-You’re so me-mean to me! I-I di-didn’t do an-anything,” He cried forlornly.

Hearing this, Key felt like a bucket of ice cold water had just been dumped over him. This feeling was terrible, knowing that his words could hurt someone so badly. He didn’t realize that he had the power to make someone feel that bad about themselves. But the worst part was, he felt like his father. Like a monster. And it felt shameful.

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry, Kibum,” Key whispered.

“I j-just w-wanted t-to be y-your fr-friend,” Kibum cried softly, untangling his arm from the stuffed bear he was holding and reaching for Key’s hand, grasping it gently.