Chapter 4

The Boundaries of Friendship

“Sorry it took me so long! Some guy ran into me while I was – “ Kibum began, jogging over to where Henry was standing at the edge of the water. He was quickly shushed as Henry held out his hand to make him be quiet.

“Hold on, hold on! Okay, okay, almost there…GOT IT! Yes!” Henry exclaimed loudly, pumping his fist in the air. He turned around and grinned at Kibum happily with sparkling eyes.

“Got what?” Kibum asked him curiously, coming to a halt besides the Chinese boy. Henry held out his phone and Kibum glanced down at it to see what all the excitement was about. But all he saw was an alert that said Message Sent.

“My text sent to Zhou Mi! Now I can sleep peacefully without any worry. And now I know where I have reception on my phone,” Henry said brightly, glancing down at his phone as it lit up once again with a new message.

“You are so weird, Henry. Why did you want to come out here anyways?” Kibum asked as Henry finished up bidding Zhou Mi goodnight and stuffed his phone back into his pocket. The waves from the lake were splashing against their feet; the cold water felt cool and relaxing.

“Can you keep a secret?” Henry asked Kibum after a few moments of silence. He stared deep within Kibum’s eyes, making the other know that this was about to be one of the those serious, heart to heart kind of talks.

“Well it depends on what the secret is because you know I won’t lie to hyung,” Kibum reminded him, and Henry scoffed in distaste.

“Traitor! Well, whatever. It’s not something that I’m lying to umma about; not really, anyway,” Henry rambled, kicking the sand with his feet.  

“What is it?” Kibum asked, now intrigued to know what his brother was hiding. Henry looked over at him, the moonlight shining on his face so that the serene emotion stood out evidently in his eyes.

“I love Zhou Mi and we’ve been dating for a few months now,” He said, smiling softly. Kibum couldn’t help but gape when he heard this. Henry? Sweet, innocent little Mochi had a boyfriend? Tch, he’s not as innocent as he pretends. I knew it was all just an act! Kibum thought, rolling his eyes slightly.

“So all this time you’ve been pretending to be so naïve and clueless about this kind of stuff…why?” He asked, wanting to know why his brother was playing everyone.

“Because,” Henry sighed, crossing his arms and looking out into the lake with a longing look in his eyes. “You wouldn’t really understand. Umma’s like having me be the baby. I mean, I know that Mir’s the youngest but he sure as heck isn’t cute and innocent; just annoying. And Hae and Hyuk are doing God knows what back home.”

“Well, there me too,” Kibum said, swishing his foot around in the water.

“But you’re not cute and innocent! You’re just…well, you’re really weird if you think about it,” Henry said, laughing a bit. Kibum glared at him and smacked his arm harshly.

“I am not!” He objected, threatening to push Henry into the water.

“You are! But we’re getting off subject. I can’t tell umma yet, but not really for the reason why I said,” Henry said, holding up his hands to surrender.

“Why not then?” Kibum asked, shivering slightly as a breeze blew through. It was pretty out by the lake, but it was also a lot chillier and he wanted to get back to camp soon.

“Because! Zhou Mi is Chinese!” Henry exclaimed, as if it was obvious. Kibum stared at him incredulously for a moment, looking at his brother as if he was stupid.

“Yeah, and? In case you hadn’t noticed, so are you,” He said slowly. Henry huffed loudly and threw his hands up exasperatedly.

“Exactly! I’m Chinese! Meaning, my real father is Chinese too because obviously umma isn’t!” Henry exclaimed. He sighed softly and crossed his arms, staring out at the ocean with a desperate look on his face. Things were silent for a few minutes between them and Henry thought about why he was making such a big deal out of this, because obviously Kibum didn’t understand.

It wasn’t that he didn’t want to tell his parents that he was dating Zhou Mi. There were just so many complications because of their diverse family style. He knew the story about his past, how Heechul had was in love with his boyfriend and got pregnant but things didn’t work out, and Heechul was completely heartbroken and depressed for so long. Even with umma, he was depressed and that had to hurt both of them. How would they feel if I was dating a Chinese boy? Old feelings and worries would come to surface, Henry thought sadly. His thoughts were interrupted when Kibum stepped forward and wrapped his arms around him, hugging him tightly.

“I think that you’re over-thinking this. They love you and want you to be happy, Henry. So what if Zhou Mi is Chinese? Do you think they won’t love him because of that? That would be like saying they didn’t love you either. Besides, if they haven’t figured it out already then they’re kinda stupid, don’t you think?” Kibum told him, chuckling at the last part. He’d suspected it before, so had Eunhyuk and Donghae. Henry was always talking to or about Zhou Mi. It was pretty obviously he had a little crush going on.

“I’m telling umma you called them stupid!” Henry exclaimed, wriggling out of Kibum’s grasp.

“Hey! I did not! I’ll tell them that you and Mir-“ Kibum began, but he was cut off when there were two yells a few yards down. They both looked over and saw two people running into the water together, screeching excitedly like children. Kibum rolled his eyes, knowing it was that boy Key from before and his little dinosaur friend. Kibum watched as one of the figures picked the other up and twirled him around.

“Come on, let’s get back to camp before anyone realizes we’re gone,” Henry said, tugging on Kibum’s arm. Obviously those two were having romantic time; he didn’t want to get in the way.

As they walked away from the beach, Henry glanced back one last time at the lake. I’ll tell umma about me and Zhou Mi soon. I will.