The Musical

•°★°• So Nyuh High •°★°•

 

Jessica seemed to be alright. Or at least, that’s what Taeyeon thought when she saw her in school after that phone call.

 

Perhaps, she’s really alright. But why do I feel unsettled? This feels so much like the calm before a storm. Is there going to be a storm? I hope not.

 

Taeyeon sighed and slumped even lower in her chair. The lesson was stiffling and her thoughts were disturbing. Nothing has felt right after she kissed Sunny. The kiss was the only thing that felt right but that was so wrong in itself.

 

Taeyeon wanted to go somewhere high up to yell out loud. She wanted to release her pent up feelings that were cooped up inside.

 

The rooftop.

 

She hadn’t been there in a while.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!”

 

Taeyeon panted after screaming a few times. She sank onto the floor, her back leaning against the wall and looked up at the marvelous blue sky above her. How could the sky be so fair when her emotions were running so raw? How was it possible for the birds to fly so freely in the sky when she felt so trapped by her circumstances?

 

She saw it now.

 

Regret.

 

She should never have let Sunny’s hand go. But she did.

 

She should never have chased Sunny away. But she did.

 

She should never have suppressed her hatred and angst for her first love. But she did.

 

So here she was.

 

Alone.

 

Or not…

 

“Taeyeon? Is that you?”

 

The world’s sweetest voice travelled through the air in between them, reaching her ears at the speed of sound.

 

“S-Sunny?”

 

The world’s cutest face popped out from around the corner and had Taeyeon on her feet in the next instant.

 

“It’s really you.”

 

Sunny smiled. Taeyeon smiled feebly in return. She hoped fervently that Sunny had not heard her frustrated screams from before.

 

“Why were you screaming?”

 

Right… so much for hoping.

 

“Oh… I’m just a little down.”

 

“I see… It’s a surprise to see you up here. You haven’t been up here for quite a while, have you?”

 

Taeyeon was surprised to hear that. “No, I haven’t been up here recently. How do you know?”

 

“Just a gut feeling. That and the fact that I’ve been coming up here recently but I haven’t seen you anywhere near this place.”

 

“You’ve been coming up here?”

 

“I come here sometimes.”

 

“Oh… why?”

 

Sunny shrugged. “I just feel like it at times. This is a good place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the insane corridor traffic.”

 

Taeyeon laughed. “I totally understand what you mean.”

 

Sunny looked at Taeyeon and Taeyeon looked at Sunny. For a moment they communicated with each other through their eyes—nothing but their eyes.

 

So near, yet so far.

 

Never did the both of them feel for that idiom as deeply as now. Between them lay a staggering chasm even though they were only a metre apart. Where they were once so close, they were now so far apart that the distance between them seemed so impossible to be covered.

 

Minutes ticked on as they held each other’s gaze unwaveringly.

 

Nothing was said, yet everything was understood.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

“May I have your attention, please?”

 

The incessant chatter ceased. There, in the center of attraction, stood one of the tallest girls in So Nyuh High. The other students around her began whispering to each other, each person coming up with a different theory as to why Choi Sooyoung was standing on top of a table when she could very well get into trouble over that. Moreoever, it was lunch time and Sooyoung would never waste a single second on anything else other than eating. Some students whipped out their smart phones and began recording a video of Sooyoung and her antics.

 

“May all of you be my witnesses that I, Choi Sooyoung, am going to fast all day today.”

 

Shocked gasps and even louder whispers were heard amongst the students who by now, had forgotten all about the food that was in front of them and were now completely focused on what Sooyoung was doing.

 

“Sooyoung’s not eating? That’s unheard of!”

 

“Is Sooyoung sick in the head or something?”

 

“I heard that she had a quarrel with Tiffany over food.”

 

“Oh my gawd. The power of love is sick!”

 

Speculative whispers and gossips spread like wild fire as Sooyoung stood on that table.

 

“TIFFANY HWANG MI YOUNG!!! I LOVE YOU MORE THAN FOOD!!! I LOVE YOU!!!”

 

“GET DOWN FROM THERE YOU PUNK!!!”

 

Everyone gasped in horror. Their silly smiles were wiped out instantly at the sound of the infamously strict teacher, Mr. Choi. Ironically, Sooyoung and him shared the same family name but it wasn’t going to help her predicament in the least. Most of the students were looking from Mr. Choi to Miss Choi.

 

Sooyoung got off the table and walked to Mr. Choi. She scanned the crowd as she walked, desperately looking for Tiffany but she was nowhere to be found.

 

Oh great. I just got myself into a whole lot of trouble for nothing.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Tiffany was mystified. Everyone around her has been whispering and pointing at her while giggling like little children. This lasted all throughout the entire rehearsal for the musical that was happening in a couple of days. The last straw was when Taeyeon came up to her waggling her eyebrows cheekily after the rehearsal.

 

“What in the world is going on? Tell me!”

 

Taeyeon laughed out loud and bent over. “You don’t know? Word has spread and even a video of what Sooyoung did for you has gone viral in SNH!”

 

“Video? What video?!”

 

Tiffany gasped in horror, shock, embarrassment and a tinge of happiness as Taeyeon showed her the video. She couldn’t believe that Sooyoung was capable of doing a thing like that.

 

And… was she really fasting the entire day?! That feat would be as challenging for Sooyoung as climbing Mount Everest!

 

Despite everything, Tiffany giggled. She was touched—deeply touched.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

There she was… all mopey and dopey like a wet puppy that had been left out in the rain. Sooyoung was stuck in detention for treating school property with disrespect as well as causing a ruckus in a common area by yelling really loudly during lunch time, amidst all her school mates.

 

Tiffany stiffled her giggle as she opened the door and stepped into the detention room.

 

Sooyoung looked up from her fingers which she had been staring at for goodness knows how long and gasped. She stood up immediately and closed the gap between them.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

“To do detention with you, babo ya.” Tiffany smiled her sunniest eye smile and pulled Sooyoung down onto the chair. “Sit and behave or I’m leaving.”

 

Sooyoung leaned forward on her chair, eager to make things right between her and Tiffany again.

 

“Why would you want to do detention with me? You don’t have to… you should spend your time doing more important things. What about your musical? Shouldn’t you be at a rehearsal right now?”

 

Tiffany chuckled and sat on Sooyoung’s lap, causing the latter to stiffen in surprise. She wrapped her arms around Sooyoung’s neck and locked lips with her. Sooyoung’s eyes widened briefing before closing. She leaned in, wanting to get more of Tiffany’s sweet, sweet lips between hers as Tiffany tightened her arms around her neck, drawing her closer and closer.

 

After a couple of minutes of lip locking, Tiffany finally pulled away from Sooyoung.

 

“Sooyoungie, I saw the video. I’m touched by what you did for me.”

 

“What video?”

 

Tiffany laughed. “Don’t you know that there’s a video of you standing on the table, professing your love for me?”

 

“WHAT?!?!?!” Sooyoung looked positively horrified by the news. “WHY IS IT ON VIDEO?!”

 

Tiffany giggled sweetly, calming Sooyoung down slightly.

 

“You should thank whoever took the video. If it weren’t for that video, I wouldn’t be able to see what you did.”

 

Sooyoung blinked for several moments before finally breaking out into a wide smile.

 

“Does that mean that I’m forgiven now?”

 

Tiffany giggled and nodded. “I’m sorry too. I was being all cranky and grumpy when I said those things to you. I wouldn’t dream of stopping you from eating. I know how much you love eating.”

 

“But I love you more! Really!”

 

Tiffany grinned and rested her head on Sooyoung’s shoulder.

 

“I believe you, Sooyoung. I believe you.”

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Yuri seemed rather out of sorts but Yoona didn't know why. It was as though she had something to say but she was having difficulties in saying it. She looked at the raven-haired beauty worriedly. What was Yuri bothered about?

 

She watched as Yuri did her warm-up routine like robot. She had done it so many times that she probably could do it in her sleep. Her muscles flexed as she stretched them, warming up for the practice run they were about to do. Then she stood up straight and twisted her waist, turning to the left and right as she did so. Their eyes met but instead of the usual bright, dorky smile that Yoona was so used to seeing, a feeble smile was all she got. Yoona was on the verge of puling Yuri aside to question her when their coach called them over. Yoona could only sigh as she jogged over to their coach.

 

"Girls, I have a piece of great news to share with you. As you all know, So Nyuh High runners have always been highly sought after by colleges because we are just that good.”

 

Several of the senior girls chuckled. They loved how proud their coach was of them but he did get a little too over the top at times.

 

"Well, this year is no exception. We have Yuri, our star athlete, who has been offered a place in the most prestigious college in the States and she's been talent-scouted for their track and field team over there!"

 

Yuri's jaw hung open. She did not expect her coach to announce it like this. She hadn't even told Yoona yet! What is Yoona going to think?! She kept her eyes on the ground, even as her fellow runners clapped her on her back and shoulders, giving her their warmest congratulations. She had gone to her coach, seeking advice from him regarding the offer she received, but in truth, there was a part of her that didn't want to leave Korea. That was also the main reason why she hadn't told Yoona about it—she didn't know how to bring up the topic, let alone discuss it with her.

 

Yoona couldn’t believe her ears. The look on her face told the whole world that. She looked at Yuri as a million different thoughts ran through her mind.

 

They needed to talk.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me about it?”

 

“I didn’t know how to.”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

“Yoongie, my scholarship is going to take me back to the States. Did you hear that? THE STATES. And where does that put us?”

 

“You can’t be thinking of rejecting that offer because of me. No, you can’t do that!”

 

“Yoona ya…”

 

“You have to go.”

 

“And how is it that you can say it so easily? Are you not going to miss me? Don’t you want to be with me? Or am I so easy to leave?”

 

“When did I say anything about leaving?”

 

“But…but if I take up the scholarship, I will have to leave!”

 

“We can handle it, Yuri.”

 

Yoona stepped closer to Yuri and wrapped her arms around the tearing girl’s waist.

 

“We’re strong enough to handle a long distance relationship. And you’re rich enough to fly back to Korea to visit me.”

 

Yuri laughed in the middle of a sob and ended up choking as her saliva got caught in the middle.

 

“Yoona ya… you make it sound so easy.”

 

“It can be… this will be a test… a test of our bond. If we can withstand the test of time and distance, then we can be together forever.”

 

Yuri’s eyes opened big and wide. Yoona… Yoona was talking about forever with her?! FOREVER?! She started to hyperventilate—not literally—but she got really excited and began bouncing on her feet like a little child.

 

Yoona looked at her as though she were some alien from outer space. What in the world…

 

“I’m so happy, Yoona ya. I’m so happy that you’re thinking of spending forever with me.”

 

Yoona broke out into a wide smile as Yuri engulfed her in a really tight hug.

 

“We’ll survive this. I promise.” Yoona was sure that whatever she was feeling right now was definitely bliss.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Hyomin and Jessica walked in together. They didn’t speak much to each other but they were comfortable in each other’s company. After all, it was really Sunny that they were supporting. Sunny, being the thoughtful one, didn’t want Hyomin and Jessica to feel alone at the show, so she got them to go together.

 

It was the night. The night that they had all been working so hard for. The night that would be the culmination of all of their efforts.

 

They cheered extra hard when Sunny appeared with Taeyeon. Taeyeon was playing the part of a boy since they were an all-girls school and somebody had to be a guy. There were a few scenes of them dating and being all happy with each other which really stuck a chord with Jessica. It reminded her too much of Sunny and Taeyeon’s early days. How did they all end up like this?

 

Hyomin watched Jessica as Jessica watched Taeyeon serenading Sunny, followed by a scene of them sharing a kiss. This kiss wasn’t real… it was merely positioned to look like one but Jessica was reminded of their ‘dare’ kiss yet again. She swallowed hard. These feelings weren’t pleasant at all. She had tried very hard to be as natural as possible around Sunny after that day. She had tried to smile and keep her negative thoughts out of her mind but every time she closed her eyes at night, she would think of Taeyeon and Sunny. It was difficult for her, to say the least.

 

Hyomin saw how Jessica reacted to the fake kiss and sweet, lovey scenes. She saw the clenching of jaws, fists, shifting in her seat and shuffling of her feet. She felt like applauding Jessica for sitting through all those scenes. She knew that it wasn’t easy. Jessica was tougher than she’d thought. It was either that or Jessica simply loved Sunny way too much to tear her eyes away from her, no matter how much it hurt to look.

 

“What do you really think about that kiss?” Hyomin asked Jessica during the intermission, catching Jessica unawares.

 

Jessica blinked rapidly, coughed and shifted in her seat before her eyes finally met Hyomin’s.

 

“Are you referring to the ‘dare’ kiss?”

 

Hyomin nodded.

 

“Be honest with me, Jessica.”

 

Jessica sighed.

 

“To be honest, I hate it. It hurts really bad.”

 

Hyomin looked a little taken aback by her bluntness and Jessica chuckled at her slightly stunned expression.

 

“You wanted the truth. You are Sunny’s longest standing friend, so I trust you enough to tell you the truth. And the truth is such. Yet you look so surprised.”

 

“Jessica, thanks for being so honest with me. I just wasn’t expecting you to give in so easily. But did you tell Sunny about it?”

 

“No.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“She said it meant nothing. If it meant nothing, there’s nothing to discuss.”

 

Hyomin nodded. She regretted asking that question now. That kiss didn’t mean nothing. Sunny had been struggling with her feelings ever since then. Taeyeon had not made any move either, so all things were status quo but from Hyomin’s point of view, too many things were bubbling just below the surface. There needed to be a resolution to this. They needed a driving force that would hammer the nail into the woodwork and finalize things.

 

Little did Hyomin know that her wish was going to come true.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Sunny stood on stage alone. It was her solo piece. Her clean and clear voice reverberated through the theatre and mesmerized the audience. Everyone was enthralled by Sunny’s pure soprano voice. It was a moving ballad, one that spoke of heartbreak.

 

It was in the middle of her chorus that Jessica sensed that something was amiss. A spotlight wasn’t still. Spotlights should be still, shouldn’t they? Jessica tensed in her seat. She kept her eyes on that swaying spotlight and spotted the problem. The spotlight was a stand and the stand’s base was not secured somehow. She frowned. She sensed danger.

 

And right at that moment, the spotlight toppled over. The audience gasped. Sunny screamed, frozen, rooted to her spot in shock.

 

“SICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!”

 

She was knocked over in that instant. Somebody had flung herself at her and rolled over with her, putting her out of harm’s way.

 

Chaos broke out.

 

All of the musical crew dashed out from the backstage. Most of them had been unable to see what happened exactly.

 

Hyomin was frozen stiff with worry yet a tiny smile crept onto her face. In that split second of fear… Sunny’s instinct was to call for Jessica. What did that say about Sunny’s reliance on Jessica? What did that say about Sunny’s feelings for Jessica?

 

Hyomin couldn’t be sure but she thought that what Sunny screamed was a pretty good indication of who she needed more right now.

 

Taeyeon stood behind the curtains, watching Jessica fuss over Sunny and Sunny fuss over Jessica. She had heard Sunny’s scream. It was impossible not to when the microphone was attached to her cheek. It sounded like a note of finality to her. Had she lost Sunny for good? Why was she even thinking about getting Sunny back? Where would that leave Jessica?

 

Taeyeon cursed the musical and the ‘dare’ kiss. She was healing until those things happened, reopening her wounds, hurting her, scarring her all over again.

 

There was little she could do now. A friend was what she was. Just a friend.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Sunny was surrounded by her closest friends who were all fussing over her.

 

“OMO, I was so freaked out! I’m so glad that you’re okay.” Yuri smiled as Yoona nodded in agreement.

 

Taeyeon was rubbing Sunny’s back quietly, trying to calm the girl down.

 

Hyomin too, hovered over the petite girl, fussing like a mother would.

 

“Jessi, I’ve seriously never seen you run that fast. Scratch that, I’ve never even seen you run before!” Tiffany exclaimed as Sooyoung stood behind her.

 

Hyoyeon was standing next to Sooyoung, wearing a look of relief.

 

“Thanks everyone, I’m okay now.” Sunny finally smiled—albeit, a little weakly. She turned to Jessica who was right next to her, panting like a puppy. She looked shaken but none the worse. Sunny felt like crying all of a sudden but she held it back, lest everyone should worry for her. Instead, she sniffed like a forlorn child and wrapped her arms around Jessica tightly.

 

Jessica had saved her… again.

 

She had screamed for Jessica in her moment of need. What was that supposed to mean?

 

This closeness she felt to Jessica right now… what was it? Love? Gratitude? What was it?

 

She closed her eyes and shook her head. She’d think about it later.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•