Off Her Chest

•°★°• So Nyuh High •°★°•

“Hey! Wait up!” Yuri called out to the lanky girl who was dragging her feet to the lockers. She quickened her steps and caught up with her in no time. Yoona was too engrossed in her thoughts to hear Yuri call and did not respond, so she nearly jumped out of her skin when Yuri casually put her arm round her shoulders.

 

“Ya! What do you think you’re doing?” blurted Yoona, shying away from Yuri. Realizing that it was Yuri, she relaxed a bit and gave her a weak smile.

 

“I’m getting the sense that you don’t like me. Why?” Yuri asked point-blank. “Is it because of the cafeteria seats or the fact that I beat you in that race?”

 

Yoona was taken aback by her straightforwardness. “I don’t hate you or anything like that, but yeah, you irritated me a little at the cafeteria the last time and the race you beat me at… well I’m not a sore loser or anything like that but I had something important banking on my win at that race so I was just very disappointed that’s all.”

 

Yuri was amused to hear her babble on about her feelings. “Haha, you’re so frank and honest! I like people like that. Look, I apologize for being cheeky at the cafeteria. I enjoy pranking people so much that sometimes I forget the limit and you were a total stranger then.”

 

Yoona looked into her eyes. They were sincere and earnest. “I accept your apology,” she found herself saying and smiling.

 

“Yay! So we’re okay now?” asked Yuri, her eyes twinkling in that instant.

 

Yoona nodded and smiled. Yuri grinned and put her arm on Yoona’s shoulder again. “Now, tell me about that race. What was that important thing banking on that race?”

 

Yoona stiffened at that question. She wasn’t sure if she should tell Yuri, who she’s been friends with for five seconds. Yuri shook her lightly, “Come on, tell me. I might be able to help you out you know.”

 

Yoona heaved a huge sigh and thought, “I might as well tell her. She might have a better idea.” So she told Yuri about her rather one-sided relationship with Sooyoung and how that race was meant to be her courage to confess. Yuri looked at her in amusement. “What kind of cute person would get herself to confess by winning a race?!” she thought.

 

She stopped suddenly, pulling Yoona with her. “Ya! Don’t stop so suddenly! I almost fell!” Yoona grabbed her arm for support.

 

“What’s your name?” Yuri asked, realizing that she didn’t even know her name.

 

“Yoona,” grumbled Yoona, “You didn’t have to stop just to a – “

 

“Let me help you,” suggested Yuri, “I can help you to beat me at the race. The sprint is not my strongest race. You’ll definitely have a good chance of beating me. As it is, you only lost by a fraction of a second the last time.”

 

“How are you going to help me?”

 

“Let me watch you run. I’ll tell you how to improve on your timing and you can beat me at the next race and confess at last!”

 

Yoona perked up and grinned widely, “Really? You’ll help me with that?”

 

Yuri smiled and nodded, “Your confession will be a success.” She reached up and ruffled Yoona’s hair. “I don’t see how anyone can pass on someone as cute as you.”

 

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

 

“Sungmin, forget her. You’re like a walking zombie right now. I want my lively friend back!”

 

“It’s all my fault.”

 

Leeteuk brushed his fringe up, feeling frustrated with his buddy. “Look, Sungmin, you can’t keep sitting around like th – “

 

“IT’S ALL MY FAULT! DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND? I BROKE UP WITH HER OVER A LIE! I DIDN’T EVEN GIVE HER A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN! NOW SHE’S IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE ELSE! SHE’S NOT coming… back…” Sungmin broke down into sobs.

 

Leeteuk looked at his sobbing buddy and decided that he had to do something about it. He’d go look for Sunny and have her talk things out with Sungmin again.

 

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

 

Sunny was beginning to feel guilty. She had been thinking aboutthat kiss way too much. It was almost as if she had been cheating on Taeyeon.

 

I did not cheat on Taeyeon. I did not cheat on Taeyeon.

 

She mentally chanted it like a mantra, trying to make herself feel less guilty.

 

I will not think about that kiss. I will not think about that kiss.

 

“Argh… This is wrong.”

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

Sunny’s head popped up. “Did you hear that?!”

 

Hyomin nodded.

 

Sunny groaned and face palmed herself.

 

“Spill it.”

 

“Ay dink um cheating un Daeyeonie.” Sunny’s replied was muffled, her face buried in her palms.

 

“WHAT?!” exclaimed Hyomin.

 

The Maths question she was in the midst of solving was forgotten instantly. She put down her pens and calculators and dragged her chair nearer to Sunny.

 

She said, “The Sunny I know would never cheat. What gives?”

 

“Hyomin ah, I haven’t told you about Sungmin meeting me again.”

 

“He met you again? Where? When? Wha –“

 

Sunny related the entire story to her. She nodded and nodded and nodded. Then she gasped.

 

“Jessica kissed you?!”

 

“And I can’t get that kiss out of my mind. What am I supposed to do now?” groaned Sunny miserably. “Is this considered as cheating? Am I already cheating on Taeyeonie?”

 

Hyomin leaned back in their chairs and assessed the situation thoughtfully. She shook her head slowly and said, “Sunny ah, I’d love to be able to help you out but why is your love life getting more and more complicated?!”

 

Sunny smiled weakly and shrugged her shoulders, pinching her nose bridge with her fingers.

 

“Jessica has only recently broken the ice with you and now she’s kissing you in the name of helping you. She’s such an unpredictable person.”

 

“Yeah, she was cold but now she’s as warm as the sun to me. I really don’t know what to think.”

 

“I don’t suppose that kiss can be considered as cheating. It was done for a greater purpose.”

 

“Yeah, but I responded to it. I was feeling that kiss and I’m still thinking about it now…”

 

“You’re in hot soup my friend, a big pot of boiling hot soup. You gotta sort out your feelings about that kiss. It was not meant to mean anything Sunny. You still love Taeyeon don’t you?” Hyomin looked at Sunny sharply.

 

“I do I do.” Sunny nodded her head vigorously.

 

“Well then perhaps you’re just confused. Maybe you’re just turning into a byuntae just like Taeyeon.”

 

“I guess you’re right!” Sunny’s troubled face lit up with a smile. “I’m so glad that I can get it off my chest. Hyomin ah, JJANG!” said Sunny, raising her thumbs up hand sign at Hyomin.

 

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

 

She saw her face every time she closed her eyes. For the past few nights, she had tossed and turned for a long time before falling asleep.

 

“Sica, you have to stop thinking about her. She is Taeng’s girlfriend for goodness sakes. You kissed her to help her get rid of Sungmin. That’s all it is and that’s all it will ever be.” Telling herself all that didn’t help her to sleep any better.

 

She remembered when she once had trouble sleeping. It was when her father who adopted her and her sister first brought them to their new home. She had laid in bed for hours on end, watching her baby sister, Krystal, sleep peacefully in her arms. It took her three months to get used to the new home and finally sleep well at night.

 

Another time she had trouble sleeping was when her Mum and Dad began launching their business overseas. They had to manage research labs all over the world and that meant that they were constantly out of town. With her sister in boarding school and away from home, she was left alone most of the time. She felt lonely and empty and the disappearance of the sun at night time only made it worse.

 

And now… THIS. She decided to call Tiffany for a chat.

 

“Annyeong!”

 

“Fany ah, whatcha doing?”

 

“I’m just about head home now. We just caught a movie.”

 

“We?”

 

“Oh, I’m with Sooyoung right now. The movie was so thrilling!”

 

Jessica could hear Tiffany giggling at the other end of the line. She smirked.

 

“Fany ah, are you sure you’re thrilled by the movie? Or is it the supermodel you’re with right now?”

 

“Ya! Sica! Don’t tease me!” Tiffany responded shyly, then her voice dropped to a whisper, “We are just friends for now but I think we’ve got some chemistry together…”

 

Jessica giggled with Tiffany before Tiffany realized that Jessica hadn’t mentioned why she called. “What’s up Sica? Our sleeping beauty would usually be asleep by now… it’s almost midnight!”

 

“Oh, it’s nothing. I was just bored that’s all. I’m going to sleep now. Hey, give her a friendly goodbye kiss later. That will push things along, ha ha…”

 

“Sica! Naughty naughty… ha ha but that’s a good idea… I might just try it! Bye Sica, sweet dreams tonight babe!”

 

Jessica sighed after ending the call and looked at the screensaver on her mobile. She ran her finger lightly over the face of her sister. It was a bittersweet picture taken just before Krystal had left for America to study there.

 

“I miss you Krys,” she murmured and a tear that came out of nowhere rolled down her cheek.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

The lights came back on and shone on the people who were leaving the movie theatre.

 

“Wow you seem extra perky today or is the movie really that funny.” Taeyeon remarked and smiled. It made her happy to see Sunny happy.

 

“It’s the weekend and I don’t have to work because my leg is in a cast!” Sunny cheered and raised her hands up. Then she arched her back to stretch it, feeling slightly stiff from sitting for almost two hours. That innocent move accentuated a certain part of her body and caught the eye of the brunette sitting beside her.

 

Taeyeon whistled appreciatively. “You really are extra perky today.”

 

Sunny recognized that look in her eyes and rolled her eyes. “If I’m perky then you’re y.”

 

Taeyeon smirked and said, “I’ve never denied that I’m y but I wish you’d stop trying to hide the fact that you are super perky. I’d like to see you wearing something tight and hot for once instead of your loose tops.”

 

“What… and make you even more byun than you already are? I don’t want to encourage you any further in that area. Besides, I’m not comfortable with random people staring at my…” her voice trailed off.

 

“Hmm, you’ve got a point there. I don’t want random people staring at your s too.” Taeyeon rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “You belong to me!”

 

Sunny blushed from head to toe and slapped Taeyeon’s arm. “Ya! I don’t belong to you, I own myself! I’m not an object!”

 

Taeyeon giggled devilishly and draped her arm over Sunny’s shoulders. “You, Sunny Lee Soonkyu, are property of me, Kim Taeyeon.”

 

Sunny opened to refute that but a sudden disgruntled voice burst the bubble of their little fluffy world. “Young kids these days really need to get a room for themselves. We people have a job to do. Scoot, I need to clear this theatre in thirty minutes!”

 

Taeyeon leaped from her seat, startled by the stern voice and helped Sunny stand up. She pulled Sunny’s arm around her shoulder and handed the crutches to her. They were so engrossed in bantering with each other that they did not notice that they were the only ones left.

 

“Jwesongheyo…” Sunny looked at the disgruntled woman apologetically.

 

Taeyeon followed suit and bowed slightly saying “Jwesongheyo…” a few times.

 

Once they were out of the theatre, both girls exchanged looks and burst out laughing.

 

“She said we had to get a room! Ya! It’s all your fault, Kim Taeyeon!” Sunny laughed vivaciously with her head thrown back.

 

Taeyeon was bent double with laughter. “Let’s…g-go… get… a room… HA HA HA!” she said in between laughs whilst wiping her tears away with the back of her free hand. “Let’s go to MY room.” She whispered into Sunny’s ear and made a quick call.

 

Seconds later, a long, shiny, black limo pulled up along the road. A chauffeur got out and ran over to where they sat waiting. “Miss Kim, does your friend need help?”

 

“I will help her. Just open the door for us, thanks.”

 

He held the door open whilst Taeyeon helped Sunny into the car and got in. Then he closed the door and jogged over to the driver’s seat. “Where to, Miss Kim?”

 

“Home.”

 

He nodded and drove off.

 

Sunny looked at Taeyeon in amusement and propped her elbow on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

“Someone is pulling out all the stops today... a special lunch box that you made for me today,” she said, sliding her finger up Taeyeon’s thigh, “a surprise movie which I happened to mention wanting to watch the day before and now this?” her finger sliding up Taeyeon’s arm, “Is my dear byuntae trying to be romantic or what?” she tapped Taeyeon affectionately on the tip of her nose with her finger.

 

Taeyeon struggled to maintain a poker face especially when Sunny ran her finger up her body seductively. She shook her head and shrugged nonchalantly. “I’m not trying to be romantic. I AM romantic.”

 

Sunny suspected that something else was up her sleeve. “So tell me again, why are we going to your home?”

 

“That ajumma told us to get a room so I’m getting us a room.”

 

Sunny narrowed her eyes and looked at Taeyeon suspiciously. Then a thought struck her. With her eyes wide open and she asked, “Are we meeting your parents or something? Is that why we’re going to your home?” whilst patting her hair down, trying to look a little neater.

 

Taeyeon let out a laugh and shook her head. “My parents aren’t even in the country at the moment. There’s no one home now. Just relax Sunny. Nothing is up my sleeve but I do promise you a very good time when we get there.”

 

“YA! Byuntae! You are so shameless!” said Sunny, instantly turning as red as tomato.

 

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

 

Yuri’s Galaxy S2 vibrated on the table twice before it burst into song.

 

“GIRLS! BRING THE BOYS OUT!”

 

Yuri came out of the kitchen and picked it up. She frowned deeply. It was Leeteuk, Sungmin’s best friend.

 

“Annyeong.”

 

“Annyeong. I’m Leeteuk oppa.”

 

“Uh huh, what’s up Leeteuk oppa?”

 

“It’s about Sungmin. He’s really distraught right now.”

 

“Oh no… is he alright? Is he sick?” Yuri was genuinely concerned. She had hung out with them quite often as Sunny would ask her to join them whenever they went out with Sungmin’s friends.

 

“I wish I could say that he’s alright but he’s not. He’s not sick or anything but I think he will fall ill soon if he keeps this up. He’s not been eating well at all. And… he’s been drinking quite a lot. I’ve been trying to get him to get himself together but it’s hard.”

 

Yuri ran her free hand through her hair worriedly. “I hope he gets over Sunny. As far as I can tell, Sunny is in a good relationship right now so his chances are next to nothing.” She heard a huge sigh on the other end of the line.

 

“Yuri, can you give me Sunny’s number?”

 

“Why? I don’t think she wants to see Sungmin again.”

 

“I figured but Sungmin really needs a proper closure on this. He needs to see Sunny one last time and thrash things out with her. He’s got this huge regret and its eating him up from the inside.”

 

“Leeteuk oppa, I can’t give you her number now. I will tell her you called and she still has your number, or at least I still have your number. That’s all I can promise you for now.”

 

“… I guess… Thanks for your help. Please tell Sunny that Sungmin needs to talk things out at least this one last time.”

 

“I will. Annyeong, Leeteuk oppa.”

 

“Annyeong.”

 

Yuri heaved a huge sigh and typed out a message that she knew would trouble Sunny’s heart.

 

“I hope they can settle this and both of them can move on.”

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Sunny was giggling at Taeyeon’s antics when she felt her mobile vibrate in her pocket. She fished it out and read the message. Her face fell and her heart sank.