Take A Break

•°★°• So Nyuh High •°★°•

[The next day]

 

Jessica texted Taeyeon.

 

Where are you?

 

The reply came moments later.

 

The room.

 

Jessica got up and headed towards the club room.

 

When she got there, the room was in darkness. She the lights and saw a lone figure sitting on a chair, resting her head sideways on her crossed arms on the table. The lone figure lifted her head and turned towards Jessica, giving her a feeble smile.

 

“Hey Sica.”

 

Jessica sat down without a word. She simply looked at her with an unreadable expression on her face. Taeyeon shifted uncomfortably in her seat a moment later and tried to ease the mood.

 

“So Sunny told me that you guys caught a movie yesterday. Ha… ha… when did you develop an interest in horror movies Sica? No one has ever been able to convince you to watch one before,” teased Taeyeon.

 

Jessica detected a hint of jealousy in her voice, but there was something else she couldn’t quite put her finger on.

 

What was it?

 

Sadness?

 

No.

 

Disappointment?

 

No.

 

Then she saw it.

 

Resignation. It was there in her eyes.

 

“NO.” Jessica grabbed Taeyeon by the shoulders and shook her hard. “Taeng, you cannot give her up just like that.”

 

Taeng shook her head slowly and raised her eyes to meet Jessica’s. “Listen to me Sica. I have crossed the line. What I did… was so wrong in so many ways… I totally crossed the line and now I can’t forgive myself even though Sunny has.”

 

Jessica felt tears welling up in her own eyes as she stared into Taeyeon’s glistening eyes. “Taeng… Sunny still loves you… you still love her.”

 

“And so do you.”

 

The simple statement shook Jessica to her innermost core. Her eyes widened as gaped open like a goldfish. She managed to shut but the flabbergasted look on her face gave everything away.

 

“I know. You don’t have to hide it from me Sica. You are an easy book to read.”

 

Jessica sank down into her chair stunned.

 

“I’ve thought about it. There were so many subtle signs that I had missed, but they were all there in my face. Sica, I even know about the Arnica cream.”

 

Jessica stiffened in her chair unwittingly and looked down at her fingers, fiddling with them in her lap.

 

It was a few awkward moments later when Jessica found her voice again.

 

“My feelings for Sunny aren’t important. What’s important is what Sunny feels. Fine, even if I love her, who does she love back in return?”

 

Taeyeon shook her head and waggled her finger at the younger girl.

 

“How do you know that Sunny doesn’t like you in that way too?”

 

Jessica blinked. Her breath caught in and her jaw dropped as she exhaled a moment later.

 

“I haven’t gone out with Sunny in over a week. Did she show any signs of unhappiness or worry? Albeit we text each other every day but she’s been telling me about you for the past week, telling me about the things that you two have done together. Sica, Sunny has come to trust you very deeply. She called you after I…” Taeyeon swallowed hard – it was too painful to mention, “She went to you for help with that guy… you were the one who found her in the woods at camp… not to mention the Arnica cream which she seems to think was given by me.”

 

“You can’t use me as an excuse to run away from your own feelings. Taeng, the last time I checked, you and Sunny were still a couple. You can’t hide here and avoid her. You’ve got to face her.”

 

“I can’t.” Taeyeon’s voice cracked. “When I look at her, I see that monster that I turned into that day. Her lips… I killed her beautiful lips…” Taeyeon broke down into sobs. “Jessica, you have to help me. Be with her okay? So that she won’t be alone.”

 

Jessica looked at her best friend in despair. For once, she didn’t know what to do or how to help. Taeyeon looked at her pleadingly, urging her to help silently. The petite girl had gripped her hands so hard that they were beginning to turn blue and numb. Jessica was helpless. She sighed and nodded her head against her better judgment and yelped as Taeyeon swept her into a tight bear hug, silently thanking her for her help.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Yuri walked across the hall with her arm hanging loosely off a girl’s shoulder. They talked animatedly and laughed ever so often. That girl was Yuri’s admirer. She was used to having lots of juniors drooling after her and so this girl was more than welcome to be her fan as well. However, what she didn’t know was that Yoona had seen all that and was officially pissed about it.

 

“Our date tonight is cancelled. You can hang out with that girl you were laughing with just now since you like her so much.”

 

Yuri picked off the dri-fit t-shirt that had been flung onto her face by a fuming Yoona when she entered the locker room.

 

“Yoona… what are you talking about?”

 

“You and that girl – the one who looked at you so adoringly. The girl that you had arm across so comfortably.”

 

Yoona turned away angrily and walked out of the locker room. Yuri turned and chased after her. She dashed in front of Yoona and spread her arms wide open, effectively blocking the path leading out to the tracks.

 

“Are you talking about Bora?” Yuri laughed, “She’s just a junior who wanted some tips from me about running. It was nothing Yoona.”

 

Yoona’s face turned a shade darker and Yuri stopped laughing, sensing that the younger girl was indeed feeling pissed off.

 

“If that’s nothing then I suppose I’m nothing too? You were flirting with her Yuri. I saw the two of you. She even had her arm on your waist! I don’t want to be just another silly fan of yours. I’m done.”

 

Yuri grabbed her shoulders and pressed her against the wall, refusing to let her go. She flipped her fringe to the back and sighed.

 

“Yoona, you’re definitely something to me. I’m not dating Bora! She’s just a cute junior that’s all. I wasn’t flirting with her! I was just being friendly!”

 

Yoona huffed and looked away unhappily.

 

Yuri hastily added, “BUT! I can try to be a little less friendly…?”

 

Yuri looked hopefully into Yoona’s eyes, hoping that the girl would be pacified. Yoona sighed.

 

“I don’t like to see you flirt with other girls. I wish you wouldn’t do that so much.”

 

Yuri smiled. “You’re jealous aren’t you? Hee… hee… Yoona ah… you’re sooo adorable!” She planted a big wet kiss on her forehead and grinned at her charmingly. Then she leaned towards her ear and whispered softly, “Don’t worry… my kisses are only for you… nobody else can get them…”

 

Yoona blushed, a bright pink colouring her cheeks and averted her eyes from Yuri’s seductive gaze. She wasn’t quite used to Yuri’s straightforwardness and blatant expressiveness yet. Yuri kissed her earlobe and planted a trail of kisses along her cheek to her lips. She nuzzled her lips on Yoona’s and nudged them open. Yoona closed her eyes and submitted herself to the pleasure of having Yuri’s lips on hers.

 

A sudden, loud and awkward cough had them jumping apart from one another. The two girls turned simultaneously to see Bora standing behind them.

 

“Bora!” said Yuri not-so-brightly, eyeing Yoona’s expression out of a corner of her eye. Yoona had recovered from the shock and was now glaring at Bora, feeling certain that the girl had interrupted them on purpose.

 

Oh no. Yoona is pissed again. Argh… bad timing Bora!

 

“What’s up, Bora?”

 

“I need some advice on my training routine. Can I see you tomorrow for lunch?”

 

“Sure!” Yuri flinched as she saw Yoona’s death glare landing on her, “Er… Yoona will join us if you don’t mind. We always lunch together.”

 

“Sure thing, she can join… I wouldn’t mind her at all…” laughed Bora.

 

Yoona was certain that Bora was up to no good but Yuri was seemingly oblivious to it. She walked away angrily while Yuri excused herself from Bora apologetically and ran down the corridor after her.

 

“Yoona! Stop! Wait!” Yuri shouted across the tracks, attracting a few curious stares.

 

Yoona stopped and turned around, positively fuming. Yuri stopped some distance away from her. she cupped her hands round and took a deep breath.

 

“YOONA! I LIKE YOU! YOONA! I LIKE Y –“

 

Yoona sprinted towards her to muffle her shouts with her two hands, knocking over Yuri with the impact and the two girls fell onto the track with Yoona lying on top.

 

The other runners watched in amusement and started cheering for Yuri.

 

They chanted loudly, “KISS! KISS! KISS! KISS!” and clapped their hands in unison.

 

Yoona was dying from embarrassment whilst Yuri was enjoying the attention and her ‘position’.

 

“Yoona… it looks like… we have to do what they say.”

 

She wrapped her arms round the younger girl’s neck and pulled her in for a full on kiss earning loud cheers and applause from their team mates. Nobody noticed the ugly scowl on Bora’s face as she turned away from that scene and left angrily.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Sooyoung her lips nervously as she tried asking the question.

 

“Fany, d-do you like m –“

 

She had trouble completing her question.

 

“What was your question again?” Tiffany looked at her quizzically.

 

“DO YOU LIKE MEAT?”

 

Sooyoung groaned inwardly. She felt like kicking her own for being such a wuss. Raising her voice had not helped her ask that question, instead, it made her look and sound even more ridiculous than she ever thought she would.

 

Tiffany giggled and smiled at her with her twinkling eyes. “Yes I like meat… just not as much as you do…”

 

Sooyoung smiled sheepishly, trying not to scream out loud at herself.

 

Tiffany pushed Sooyoung towards the door with her two hands.

 

“I can take a hint. Let’s go for dinner at that BBQ restaurant you were practically drooling at last week.”

 

“You noticed?!”

 

Tiffany smiled and nodded. It was kind of weird but she enjoyed watching Sooyoung eat. It was like a stress diffuser for her.

 

Some people like watching fishes in a tank. Some people like watching the waves coming onto shore. I like to watch Sooyoung eat. That doesn’t sound too erted… does it?

 

Once they entered the restaurant, the tall lanky girl had forgotten all about her mission to pop the question. The only question she had in her mind and had no problem asking was this – What types of beef do you have?

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

“Taeyeonie! I miss you!” whined Sunny in her aegyoest voice.

 

Taeyeon smiled weakly at the girl with the world’s sunniest disposition. She was on the verge of breaking down but she reminded herself that she had to stay strong. The sunny girl ran to her with her arms wide open and hugged her tightly but Taeyeon’s hands dangled by her sides lifelessly.

 

“Sunny, let’s sit down.”

 

Sunny smiled and nodded, taking a seat opposite Taeyeon. They were seating in a secluded corner of the café near their school. Coming to this café reminded her of Sungmin and everything that came along with that episode, including Jessica’s kiss. Her heart skipped a beat at her recollection. She shook her head slightly and focused on the brunette sitting across her. Taeyeon didn’t look right today.

 

Taeyeon sat very still, her eyes focused on her dwindling thumbs.

 

“Taeyeonie? Are you alright?”

 

She looked up and her eyes connected with Sunny’s. She held the gaze as she said the words that she knew would really change things for good.

 

“Sunny… let’s take a break.”

 

“Take a break? From?” asked a puzzled Sunny.

 

“Each other.”

 

Sunny couldn’t believe her ears. “What did you say?”

 

“Let’s take a break from each other.”

 

The blonde covered her ears and shook her head vigorously. “No… I didn’t hear that… I didn’t…”

 

Tears welled up in Taeyeon’s eyes as she brutally repeated that line even louder than before.

 

Sunny had squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out all evidences of the devastating words that Taeyeon has just said. “No… no…” she whimpered repeatedly.

 

Taeyeon held her hands and pulled them away from her ears. Sunny resisted, unwilling to listen to what Taeyeon had to say. Her head was bowed, hair falling all around her face and her lips were pressed together tightly in a bid to prevent her tears from falling but all these were to no avail. Taeyeon saw the napkin on the table soaking up her tears and knew that she was already crying.

 

“Sunny… listen to me…”

 

Sunny’s head flew up and Taeyeon found herself staring into the saddest-looking, glistening eyes she had ever seen. Her eyes burned at the heart wrenching sight.

 

“Is it because I kissed Sungmin? I’m sorry, I really am but I felt that I had to do it… it was the only way I could end it. Please forgive me…”

 

Sunny’s shoulders shook as she tried to curb her tears. Taeyeon looked away because she couldn’t stand looking into Sunny’s eyes anymore.

 

“Sunny… it should be me begging for forgiveness right now… not you.”

 

“B-but… I’ve already forgiven you!”

 

“You may have forgiven… but you havent forgotten. I can sense that Sunny. We aren’t the same as before and it’s all my fault. I don’t deserve you at all.”

 

“No… no… it’s not your fault… it’s my fault for kissing Sungmin. I should never have done that. Please don’t blame yourself. You were right to feel angry and jealous.”

 

“But I shouldn’t have done that.”

 

Taeyeon reached out to touch Sunny’s lip. The blonde flinched slightly.

 

Taeyeon smiled sadly and withdrew her hand.

 

“You see? You’re afraid of me. I made you afraid.”

 

Sunny shook her head and held Taeyeon’s hand in hers tightly.

 

“Taeyeonie… we can get through this together. We can go back to becoming the byuntaest couple on Earth in no time.”

 

Taeyeon heaved a heavy sigh and said, “Sunny… it’s not just about you. I’ve thought about it. I need time to think. I need time to sort through my emotions. I don’t want Sookyung to lurk inside me anymore. Give us time, Sunny. If we fix things, we can always come back to each other.”

 

“No… I want us to fix us together. I don’t want to leave you at all!”

 

“Sunny… please… it’s too hard for me to be with you right now.”

 

Sunny bit her lip and released Taeyeon’s hands from her grasp.

 

She said in her softest voice, “Taeyeonie… if we end this now… it may be forever…”

 

Taeyeon smiled bleakly, her heart on the verge of tearing apart.

 

“Sunny… I love you… no matter what. If we’re meant to be… we will come back to each other one day. This I promise you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

Sunny stood up and pulled Taeyeon to her, hugging her more tightly than she ever had before. Her tears were gushing down her cheeks, wetting Taeyeon’s shoulder but she didn’t care. Then she released the brunette and kissed her lips gently.

 

“Goodbye Taeyeonie.”

 

“Goodbye Sunny.”

 

Taeyeon didn’t know how she did it but she managed to keep her tears from falling until Sunny left. Only then did she release the tears that had been welling up in her eyes, allowing them to pour out, as she felt the wretched pain of her heart breaking inside.