Sunny Surprise!

•°★°• So Nyuh High •°★°•

So High 07:7

~ Sunny Surprise! ~

 

 

“Taeyeon ah… is the music camp going well?”

 

“It’s going very well. I got offered a contract to be a singer.”

 

“REALLY? OMGOSH I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!”

 

Jessica was genuinely happy for Taeyeon. She knew how much she hated studying and school. It had been her dream ever since she knew how to sing to be a singer. And in Jessica’s opinion, she was definitely more than qualified to be a super good one.

 

“Yes. I haven’t signed it yet though. I’m still considering.”

 

“What are your concerns?”

 

“Changing my life.”

 

“Mmm… your parents have no objections?”

 

“HAHAHA… when have they ever had an opinion on me Sica? I called Mum. She said whatever makes me happy will make her happy. I don’t know if that is her way of loving me or if she just doesn’t really care.”

 

“Your parents have always trusted you and given you lots of freedom. That’s good. Think of it that way.”

 

“I guess…”

 

“Anyway… Taeyeon ah…” Jessica found it hard to carry on.

 

“Yes? You sound like you’re choking or something.”

 

“It’s Sunny’s birthday. May 15. Yuri is planning a party and you’re invited.” Jessica rattled everything out in one short breath.

 

All was quiet on the other side so Jessica waited. Taeyeon was a little thrown to hear that name again. She was thrown because it didn’t seem to hurt as much as before. All that music career talk had put her mind off things and this was the first time in a while that she had thought about Sunny. However, she did feel that tinge of jealousy swimming just beneath the surface.

 

It would have been me sending out invites and organizing the party…

 

“So… will you go?”

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath and held it. “Yes.”

 

“I’m happy to hear that.” Jessica sounded very happy over the phone.

 

“But Taeyeon ah… there is one last thing that I need to talk to you about.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“I… I confessed to Sunny.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Jessica squeezed her eyes shut and trembled a little. Saying it was so hard and so brutal too but she had to.

 

“And… Sunny sort of confessed too. Ahem.” Jessica cleared uncomfortably.

 

“I see. So… are you together now?”

 

“Erm… sort of I guess.”

 

“Sort of? The two of you are a mess I bet.” Taeyeon’s voice sounded stronger than before. “Follow your heart Sica. Don’t mind me.”

 

“Taeyeon ah… I –“

 

Taeyeon cut into the middle of her sentence. “Sica. I’m okay. I really am. I just need some time.”

 

She looked at her watch and gasped. “Sica… I need to go. I have a practice to attend now.”

 

“Okay… take care Taeyeon ah. See you soon.”

 

“Bye Sica.”

 

Taeyeon grabbed her guitar and rushed out of her room. She had no time to think about Jessica and Sunny. She was supposed to be at the practice five minutes ago.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Jessica slumped on her bed. She had made the call right after she got home from the resort. It was a nerve wracking moment when her finger paused above the ‘call’ icon on her mobile. Now that she had done it, she felt a huge load slide off her shoulders. She hoped that Taeyeon would take it well. She couldn’t bear the thought of her best friend hurting all alone at a music camp.

 

She was so deep in thought that she was startled when her mobile buzzed in her hand. It was a new message.

 

Bunny 16:09

I’m too shy to say that I miss you.

 

Jessica rolled her eyes but a smile managed to creep onto her face, contradicting what her eyes did.

 

Pussie 16:10

You’re such a cheesy bunny. :P but I kind of miss you too.

 

As she was putting her mobile down, she thought it looked a little different than usual so she looked at it again.

 

“Argh. Sunny!”

 

Sunny had changed the screensaver and background picture of her mobile to a self-taken shot of herself winking while puckering her lips.

 

Bunny 16:12

KIND OF?!?! T_T

 

Pussie 16:13

Yeah. How can I miss you when I’ve got you on my screensaver and wallpaper??? <_<

 

Bunny 16:14

:P Have a good rest Jessi.

 

Pussie 16:15

I’m definitely knocking out flat tonight.

 

Bunny 16:16

See you in my dreams!

 

Jessica smiled to herself as she began unpacking her bag.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

‘SURPRISE!!!’

 

Sunny jumped in her skin, shocked by the loud cheer that erupted from nowhere. Then she was overwhelmed by the sight of all of her friends hiding behind the door and various other hiding places. They were lying in wait for her. Yuri had asked her to come over to her place to help her with a clogged sink and she had gone next door innocently, not realizing that it was a pleasant ambush.

 

She was quite shocked to see so many people in a relatively small apartment. Everyone was present. Everyone… including the person that she hadn’t seen in a while – Taeyeon. Their eyes met across the room, sweeping past everybody else. Sunny couldn’t quite put her finger on what she felt. Her chest tightened as they held each other’s gaze unwaveringly. Taeyeon undoubtedly still had an effect on her in a special way.

 

Where’s Jessica?

 

Jessica stood next to Tiffany. Her heart couldn’t help sinking a little as she noticed the way Taeyeon and Sunny looked at each other. Then her eyes met Sunny’s. Sunny smiled sweetly and walked towards her. She could hardly breathe. It was ridiculous how a simple look from Sunny can shake her to her core. It was ridiculous how a smile from Sunny could make her knees go weak. Before Sunny could get to Jessica however, she was engulfed in hugs and kisses from all the other friends of hers. Jessica stood awkwardly by the side, not knowing what to do with herself.

 

Sungmin went up to her and nudged her. ‘Why is the girlfriend standing here quietly instead of hugging and kissing her like there’s no tomorrow?’

 

Jessica blushed and shrugged. Sungmin laughed. ‘Where did your fiery attitude go? You were literally spitting fire at me every time we met.’

 

‘That’s because I thought you were causing trouble for Sunny then.’

 

‘You are one protective girlfriend Jessica. I salute you.’ Sungmin grinned at her and walked towards the big mess of people who were still having fun ruffling Sunny’s hair and hugging the cute, giggly girl.

 

Yuri came out of the kitchen with a cute smiley face cake. She broke into song and everybody else chimed in together.

 

‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU~’

 

Sunny teared a little as she was very touched by her friends’ show of love towards her.

 

‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SUNNY!!!’ Hyomin screamed like a fan girl. Everybody laughed at her cuteness.

 

‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUU~’ Sungmin stepped forward to present a cute cushion shaped like a smiling sun to her.

 

‘A little something for you to hug from me and Leeteuk.’

 

‘Thanks oppa.’ Sunny smiled.

 

She felt a little overwhelmed as her friends began stacking presents on her. She looked gratefully at Jessica as she stepped forward and helped her to put the presents away. Then a guitar strummed and the room fell silent. They turned to see Taeyeon holding her guitar, ready to sing.

 

‘Sunny… this song… is my gift to you. Happy Birthday Sunny.’

 

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
Well there's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jason+mraz/i+wont+give+up_20995887.html ]
I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make

Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use the tools and gifts
We got yeah we got a lot at stake
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we didn't tend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn, how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I got, and what I'm not
And who I am

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up
I'm still looking up

I won't give up on us
God knows I'm tough, he knows
We got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

 

The room hushed as she strummed the final chord and smiled at Sunny.

 

‘Sunny… friends forever?’

 

Sunny nodded. Tears were streaming down her cheeks as she walked to Taeyeon and gave her a hug – a hug of everlasting friendship. Tears welled up in Taeyeon’s eyes but she didn’t let them fall. No, she wouldn’t cry.

 

Jessica swallowed a lump in . This was painful for the three of them but she admired Taeyeon’s guts. That girl never held back her emotions. She was forthcoming and straightforward with people around her. That was something that Jessica was not. This moment however, was so poignant that she found herself stepping forward, wrapping her arms around both Sunny and Taeyeon. Tiffany soon joined them as did Hyomin and Yuri and it became a big group hug.

 

‘FRIENDS FOREVER!’ chorused the group of young people in the apartment.

 

‘CHEERS TO EVERLASTING FRIENDSHIP!’ They raised their glasses filled with fruit punch and drank heartily to the toast.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Yuri shoved Sunny out of her apartment. ‘You are not allowed to help clean up. It’s your birthday party! We will do the cleaning up.’ She winked at Yoona cheekily.

 

The younger girl blushed, knowing what Yuri had implied. No doubt, she was in for an exciting night. Sunny laughed at Yuri’s unabashed cheekiness.

 

‘Alright, alright… I’m leaving. Thanks Yuri and Yoona. I’m so touched by all this.’

 

Yuri smiled and ruffled her hair affectionately. ‘Hey, this is what best friends are for!’

 

Sunny giggled and nodded her head. ‘Goodnight YoonYul!’

 

Yoona blushed upon hearing Sunny mentioning their couple pet name. She shot a glare at Yuri who looked away innocently.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

 

Jessica seemed a little quieter than usual which was saying a lot because she wasn’t exactly the noisiest person in the world either. Sunny looked at her as she bent to put the presents on the table.

 

‘You haven’t given me a present.’ Sunny said bluntly. She had noticed that Jessica seemed uncomfortable all night but she couldn’t address the problem because she had so many other friends to tend to. Now… she was ready to press some buttons to get some answers.

 

‘I… didn’t prepare one.’ Jessica muttered.

 

‘You didn’t?’

 

Jessica shook her head.

 

‘Why not?’

 

The older girl shrugged. ‘Anyhow, it’s getting late… I have to head home now. Goodnight Sunny. Happy birthday my dear bunny.’

 

Sunny wasn’t going to let her leave like that. She stood in front of her door, blocking Jessica’s path. ‘You’re not going anywhere tonight Jessi.’

 

‘What do you mean?’

 

‘Since you didn’t get me a present… you’ll just have to make up for it.’

 

‘Huh?’

 

‘All I want is you.’

 

Jessica gaped at her blatant proclamation of her desires.

 

Sunny stepped forward towards the older girl boldly. She wrapped her arms around her waist and hugged her as tightly as she could.

 

‘Jessi… tell me what’s bothering you…’

 

Jessica’s eyes opened wide. She was caught. How did Sunny know that she was troubled? Was she that obvious?

 

Probably.

 

She sighed.

 

Sunny kissed her forehead and caressed her cheeks gently. Their eyes met and Sunny looked deep into her melting chocolate brown eyes, trying to search for an answer to her question.

 

‘Is it Taeyeon?’

 

Bingo. Jessica couldn’t meet Sunny’s eyes and Sunny knew that it must be Taeyeon that was bothering her.

 

‘Jessi… Taeyeon and I… we’re both healing but tonight was a big step, don’t you think?’

 

Jessica didn’t want to discuss this on Sunny’s birthday. It seemed really selfish to let her own insecurities and stubborn barriers cast a shadow over her special day.

 

‘What’s this?’ Sunny asked curiously as she fished a beautiful, velvet blue box from Jessica’s coat pocket that had been poking into her waist.

 

Jessica gasped and tried to grab it but Sunny pranced away cheekily and opened it. She froze in surprise when she saw the beautiful silver necklace that was in it.

 

‘Is this for me?’

 

Jessica nodded mutely. No point lying about it now that Sunny had seen it; especially when it was a heart with the letter ‘S’ engraved on it.

 

‘Why did you say that you didn’t prepare a gift? This is beautiful! Thanks Jessi!’ Sunny pecked her lips and smiled ever so brightly.

 

Jessica grinned sheepishly. ‘I’m glad that you like it.’

 

Sunny giggled. ‘You could give me bugs and I’d still like it because it’s from you.’

 

The older girl rolled her eyes at Sunny’s cheesiness. ‘Sunny… seriously…’

 

‘I’m serious!’ Sunny pouted.

 

Jessica couldn’t help but to laugh at her cuteness. She was irresistible when it came to her epic cuteness.

 

‘Put it on for me.’ Sunny demanded suddenly.

 

The older girl took the necklace out from the box and put it on Sunny. She stepped back to admire it as it lay snugly around Sunny’s neck.

 

‘It looks good on you.’

 

Sunny smiled happily and the pendant. Then she frowned.

 

‘I shall not push you for answers tonight but you’re staying here with me.’

 

‘St… Staying here?’ Jessica stuttered.

 

Sunny nodded. ‘I just don’t want to sleep alone tonight. Stay for the night… please? Please?’ Her aegyo was something that always worked on Jessica and this time was no exception.

 

The older girl scrunched up her face but nodded her consent. Sunny’s face lit up instantly and she dragged the older girl into her bedroom with her.

 

 

•°★°••°°••°°•

 

 

The two girls cuddled each other as they settled comfortably into bed together. Sunny had lent Jessica some clothes for the night. Fortunately for Jessica, the clothes fit quite well.

 

‘Have you ever thought about the future?’ Sunny asked out of the blue.

 

‘The future?’ Jessica was at a loss for words. ‘No… not really. I’ll just do what my dad wants me to do.’

 

‘Mmm… which is? To get you to take over his medical research empire?’

 

‘Most likely… yes.’

 

‘Do you not have dreams of your own?’

 

‘I’ve never really thought about it. I owe my life to my dad… I guess… that’s my mission in life.’

 

Jessica looked at the blonde who was nuzzling her neck like a puppy would. ‘What about you Sunny? What are your dreams?’

 

‘I want to learn the ropes from my dad and do entertainment business.’

 

‘Influenced by your family or… is this what you really like?’

 

Sunny propped her chin on Jessica’s chest causing the older girl’s breathing to hitch. ‘I love music and movies. I’d love to be involved in making them so I guess… the entertainment business is what I want to do.’

 

Jessica smiled. ‘That sounds like a plan!’

 

Sunny pouted and prodded Jessica’s cheeks with her fingers. ‘I wish that you would live for yourself a little bit more. Why does it always seem like you’re living for others instead?’

 

Jessica shrugged. ‘I’m grateful for what I have when it could have been nothing. I guess… I’m just contented with that and I don’t need anymore than this.’

 

Sunny looked at her quietly for a long time. The silence stretched and Jessica began to feel a little awkward. ‘Ya… stop staring at me.’

 

‘Jessica… you’re really… indescribable to me. Have I told you that I love you?’ Sunny whispered.

 

‘I think I’ve heard you say it before.’ Jessica grinned cheekily.

 

Sunny grinned along and the two girls continued cuddling each other until their eyelids closed, locking them in the world of oblivion.

 

 

•°°••°°••°°•