In The Wink Of An Eye

•°★°• So Nyuh High •°★°•

So Nyuh High: Term One

In The Wink of an Eye

 

“WAKE UP! WAKE UP!”

 

A blood curdling robotic scream rang through the rather spacious room, increasing in volume each time it repeated itself. However, the little huddled figure that was buried under the sheets didn’t even budge an inch. It became so loud that the entire household was awoken by it and her family members came storming up the stairs to turn it off. They charged right into her bedroom only to see a tuff of soft blonde hair sticking out from the soft luxurious sheets. They reached to stop the alarm; putting an end to that horrendously shrill noise before exchanging knowing glances with one another. Immediately, her mother and father set about drawing the curtains, allowing the strong rays of sunlight to flood the room with light. Meanwhile, her sister pounced on her and shook her hard.

 

“Sunny Lee Soonkyu! You are late for your audition!” Jinkyu yelled while shaking her sister violently.

 

The little blonde woke up with a start, blinking her sleepy eyes rapidly.

 

“Audition? What audition? I’m late for it?” she sputtered with a horrified look on her face.

 

“Ha ha! That line never fails to wake you up. You should consider changing your alarm to that instead,” Jinkyu joked. But just like the rapidly changing weather, her smile turned into a solemn expression and she spoke seriously, “On second thought, I think you really need to change that alarm of yours. It’s waking everyone up but you! It’s driving me absolutely nuts, Soonkyu-yah!”

 

Sunny stifled a cheeky giggle. “You might want to consider getting married and moving out like Eunkyu. That way, you won’t hear my alarms anymore.”

 

“Argh! I give up!” Jinkyu heaved a huge sigh and got off the bed. She walked out of the room in a huff, leaving her parents behind to deal with her impossible little sister.

 

“Soonkyu-yah, how are you feeling this morning?” her mother asked gently. “Are you nervous about the first day of school in a brand new school?”

 

“Mum, I’m fine. You know me! I’ll adapt real quick and make lots of new friends in no time.”

 

Soonkyu smiled reassuringly at her mother. Her mother looked at her carefully, evaluating the trustworthiness of what she just said before speaking again.

 

“Alright, I trust that you’ll be fine. You are so friendly and nice to everyone that it’s hard for anyone to dislike you.”

 

Her mother smiled and gave her a warm embrace before getting up to leave the room. “Get yourself ready and go downstairs for breakfast. You’d better be early on your first day of school.”

 

“Yes Mum! You know that I can shower really quickly!” said Soonkyu with a wide grin.

 

And true enough, it didn’t take long for her to get out of the shower with a towel wrapped round her. She picked out her clothes without much thought and stole a quick look in the mirror before skipping down the stairs. And moments later, she was zipping along the road on her Ducati Superbike that she loved immensely. She had chosen the red 848 EVO because it was love at first sight. She rarely liked anything at the very first sight but this bike was an exception.

 

It hadn’t been easy to convince her parents to allow her to ride a bike but an onslaught of her very best aegyo did the trick and she was the proud owner of a brand new bike.

 

•°°••°°••°°•

 

Tugging at her helmet with all her might, she almost lost her balance as her helmet finally came off with a loud pop. She shook her head a little to loosen her silky shoulder-length light brown hair that had been trapped in that helmet for the past half-an-hour.

 

“Another first day of school. I wish it were the last day of school. Darn it, I hate school!” thought Taeyeon. She grimaced, for going to school was the last thing she wanted to do. She was not in the least interested in learning about the integration of numbers nor was she interested in analyzing the reasons behind revolutions of the past. All she wanted to do was to sing. Hence, the only time she loved school, was when she was the lead role in the school’s musical.

 

“Next, Kim Taeyeon. Please stand at the marked spot and sing when you are ready.” said Kim Hyungsoo, whom she knew to be the music director of the upcoming musical.

 

Taeyeon stepped up and sang her audition piece. It was short but beautiful. Hyungsoo’s eyes bulged from start to end and she knew that she had it in the bag.

 

Hyungsoo took a deep breath before he spoke. “Thank you, Taeyeon. That was well sung. We’ll contact you once our decision has been made. Next please.”

 

“At least I have something to look forward to this year as well,” thought Taeyeon whilst reminiscing about her very first audition in So Nyuh High.

 

Just as she was about to turn and walk away, she caught a glimpse of red. It was a mere split second but it was an unmistakable sight. Her dream bike had just flashed across her eyes – a flaming red Ducati Superbike – and to her delight, it stopped in a parking lot not far from her. Curious to see the owner of the bike, Taeyeon stopped in her tracks and waited for the stranger to take the helmet off.

 

“What’s a boy doing in an all-girls school?!” wondered Taeyeon upon seeing the short blonde hair under the helmet. “He’s also rather short for a boy,” she scoffed mentally, “he looks even shorter than me!”

 

No sooner had she finished that thought than she realized that the owner was in fact a girl. Taeyeon found herself staring into a pair of chestnut brown eyes that twinkled. But what had set off her rapid heartbeats was the sight of her luscious and pouty lips. “Wow!” gasped Taeyeon and just like how Hyungsoo done at her audition, Taeyeon too had forgotten to breathe. Suddenly, the girl looked directly at her and winked. And mind you, if winks could kill, Taeyeon would have died instantly in that moment. She stood rooted to the ground, eyes wide open in shock and watched speechlessly as the petite blonde turned away and walked into the building.