Chapter 8

Beyond the Bell's Chime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shotaro decided to take his puppy out for a walk when he happened to meet Jiwoo walking home. The two had known each other for years, but it was only this year when they began to exchange conversations about their day. Shotaro was a senior student in Segye High School, making Jiwoo his junior.

Their parents had known each other since they were teens, so they were expected to be friends too, but it was too awkward for them to begin with because Jiwoo and Shotaro were complete opposites.

 

They couldn't find anything in common except for being in the same school until Jiwoo gathered up her courage to ask him.

 

"Hello, Toby!" Jiwoo greeted the Pomeranian pup with a big smile before she greeted its owner, Shotaro. "Hello, Shotaro."

 

"From school?" He asked, to which Jiwoo replied with a nod. "Great job today!"

 

"Thank you," she smiled. "Uhm, by the way... do you know Song Eunseok?" She asked, her cheeks beginning to blush pink. It made Shotaro think for a moment since the name rang a bell until he nodded.

 

"Hmm, why?" He confirmed and inquired.

 

"Does he have a girlfriend?" She asked bluntly.

 

"I'm not sure, but I am close to his friend, Sungchan," Shotaro replied. He then made a playful smile at her. "Why? Have a crush on him?"

 

Though he was expecting Jiwoo would at least deny her feelings, the girl openly declared, "Yes. I am absolutely in love with him." She sternly said.

"Eh," that was all he could say.

 

"So can you tell me what kind of girl he likes?" She asked him.

 

"Jiwoo, you should relax. Is he nice to you?" He asked her. He was sure he was not the only one who thought Song Eunseok was a great guy. All he could hear from his friends was that he was a complete menace, but he was skeptical about the rumors because being a menace wouldn't make him the top student of the class since freshman year.

 

"Uhh, he doesn't talk to me. But I want him to notice me," She eagerly smiled. "I heard he likes pretty girls with makeup and–"

 

"I'll ask Sungchan when I see him, but first, don't change for someone who doesn't like you for who you are. Okay?" Shotaro warned. Jiwoo was pretty and kind, and there was nothing to change about her, but she seemed too innocent to say that she is in love with someone.

 

~

 

The next day, Wonbin was excited to go home with Jiwoo, but when he arrived at school, Mr. Park announced that she was absent due to health problems.

 

It made his heart sink.

 

He was spending lunchtime with Sungchan and the others in their classroom when a student knocked on their door. It was a tall, kind-looking boy, smiling nicely at them.

 

"Hello, is this Class 1-B?" The boy asked.

 

Seunghan approached the boy and realized it was an upperclass student, so he immediately dipped his head at him. "Hello."

 

"Hello, are you Jiwoo's friend?" The boy asked, and Seunghan cautiously nodded because he was not sure if Jiwoo considered him a friend or just someone she was nice to. Besides, he was not sure if Jiwoo was actually friends with the others since she was always alone.

 

"I'm Shotaro Osaki; I'm her neighbor. She asked me to give this to Park Wonbin and Hong Seunghan." Shotaro said as he gently handed him two boxes of cookies, carefully wrapped for each of them. Wonbin got up and went to meet Shotaro.

 

Shotaro was quite surprised to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter