Chapter 1

Beyond the Bell's Chime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The soft melody of raindrops tapping against the cafe's windows and the hushed conversations of patrons in the background enveloped Jiwoo, making her feel right at home as she gazed at the slow twirl of a brown bubble on her coffee's surface. While some people frowned at the gloomy weather, the few inside the cafe found solace in the respite it provided from their bustling lives.

 

Jiwoo, like her fellow cafe-dwellers, took this moment to unwind from her daily grind by simply watching the busy street outside through the rain-splattered window. A steaming cup of coffee sat on the warm, mahogany table before her, as she indulged in an impromptu photo session with her subject of choice: the solitary coffee cup.

 

Content with her snapshots, Jiwoo felt the urge to capture herself seated on the gray cushioned couch. Tilting her phone at just the right angle to conceal any unflattering imperfections, she was pleasantly surprised by the striking image she beheld. Her sense of pride soared as she reviewed her photos, momentarily lost in her own world, until the music softly playing in the background snapped her back to reality.

 

That song brought back a flood of memories. It had been years since she'd last heard it, but as she read in a recent post, certain things had the power to unlock one's core memories – whether it be a scent, a taste, a sound, a sight, or a sensation. With this single song, Jiwoo found herself reliving her youthful emotions and pondering the 'what-ifs' and missed opportunities of her past, all while questioning whether she still had the chance to experience them.

 

 

2006

Jiwoo hopped off the motorcycle, her heart racing with anxiety, and bid her father farewell before entering the school gate. It was her first day of school, and she felt a mix of nerves. She couldn't decide if it was the textbooks in her bag weighing her down or the realization that everyone else seemed to know each other already.

 

She silently wished to spot a familiar face and, to her delight, she did: her be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter