Chapter 13

Beyond the Bell's Chime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A gentle tap on his shoulder roused Eunseok from his drowsiness, his mind almost forgetting that he was in the car with Sungchan. Both of them were dressed to the nines in sharp tuxedos, their perfectly styled hair accentuating their attractive features. He groggily opened his eyes and realized they had arrived at the grand hotel hosting Miyoung’s birthday party.

 

“Is there any chance we can stay in the car?” Eunseok mumbled as Sungchan unfastened his seatbelt.

 

“Not a chance,” Sungchan replied nonchalantly. “You could have turned down her invitation if you didn’t want to come, but, of course, making Yuri angry was more fun.”

 

Eunseok grumbled, “Shut up.”

 

Sungchan glanced at Eunseok, inquiring, “Did you bring her a gift?” Seeing that Eunseok was empty-handed made him sigh in defeat. “You didn’t, did you?”

 

Eunseok retorted, “I did.”

 

“Then where is it?” Sungchan probed, but Eunseok remained unfazed.

 

“Miyoung has everything,” Eunseok explained. “I’m here to give her something she doesn’t have.”

 

“Don’t tell me…” Sungchan anticipated the worst when Eunseok pointed at himself. “Ugh, I can’t stand you,” he grumbled, stepping out of the car.

 

The moment the two of them walked into the building, they attracted the attention of everyone. It was a rare sight to see them looking so dashing in their suits, embodying the image of true gentlemen.

 

Miyoung, dressed elegantly for her birthday, greeted Eunseok and Sungchan. Sungchan handed her a small gift box, and Eunseok appeared to be empty-handed.

 

Miyoung found herself in a dilemma over whom to thank, ultimately expressing gratitude to Eunseok for the gift, which momentarily shattered Sungchan’s heart. But who cared? It was Eunseok she had been looking forward to.

 

The pair was escorted to their seats, where Sungchan sulked in silence while Eunseok enjoyed a glass of water from his wine glass.

 

 

 

“You could have told her it was from you,” Eunseok casually remarked, glancing at Sungchan, who was clearly sulking behind his tough exterior.

 

“Shut up. My chest aches right now,” Sungchan grumbled between clenched teeth.

 

“Coward,” Eunseok retorted.

 

The party began, and it was an extravagant affair. Miyoung’s family owned two hospitals, and they hosted the event in their own hotel. Despite her family’s wealth, Miyoung remained down-to-earth, a modest girl who didn’t flaunt her family’s riches. Eunseok had learned about her through a dinner meeting with his dad’s friends.

 

“I could never,” Sungchan lamented.

 

“You never know,” Eunseok replied, eliciting a glare from his friend.

 

“I already lost before it began,” Sungchan continued to express his defeat while Eunseok sipped his cider, seemingly carefree.

 

 

As the time came to unwrap the presents, Eunseok’s name was specially mentioned by the host to give his gift to Miyoung. The attendees couldn’t help but gossip about the rumored arranged marriage between Eunseok and Miyoung, orchestrated by their parents. This situation made Sungchan feel insignificant in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter