Chapter 11

Beyond the Bell's Chime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Wonbin reached the exit of the school building, he noticed Jiwoo standing in the same spot as before. Seunghan also spotted her and was about to approach her, but Wonbin halted him. Perplexed by this, Seunghan frowned at his friend and decided to go over to Jiwoo, gently shoving Wonbin aside and walking straight to her.

 

Seunghan placed a reassuring hand on Jiwoo's shoulder, and she turned her head to see him, greeted by his friendly smile. "Hey," she softly spoke.

 

"It's been a while, hasn't it?" Seunghan remarked, standing next to her. "Who are you waiting for?" he inquired.

 

"No one," Jiwoo replied. "I just like to watch the school from here," she explained with a smile.

 

Seunghan then prodded, "So... how long are you going to stand here? An hour?"

 

Jiwoo nodded and said, "Hmm, it's a routine," as she turned to Seunghan, smiling at him. She then noticed Wonbin behind them and greeted him shyly, waving her hand. "Wonbin, hi."

 

Seunghan suddenly remembered the cookies Jiwoo had sent them. "Ahh, the cookies! We got them. They were delicious," he exclaimed. "Wonbin devoured them in one sitting!" Seunghan teased, attempting to engage his friend in the conversation. However, when Wonbin did join in, Jiwoo politely excused herself, seemingly avoiding him.

 

"You did something," Seunghan assumed, giving Wonbin a disapproving look.

 

"I didn't do anything," Wonbin retorted, brushing Seunghan's hand away from his shoulder.

 

"Really? Then why are you two so awkward?" Seunghan prodded.

 

"Why are you being so nosy? If she doesn't want to talk to me, then so be it!" Wonbin snapped angrily and walked away.

 

"Hey! I was just teasing!" Seunghan yelled after him and ran to catch up.

 

Wonbin had assumed he might not see Jiwoo again, but he was surprised when he noticed her walking with Shotaro, the guy who had delivered the cookies to them. They were engaged in a friendly conversation with big smiles on their faces. What caught Wonbin off guard was when Shotaro placed his hand on Jiwoo's head and gave her a gentle pat. This sight left him fuming, and he initially decided to ignore them. However, Shotaro noticed him and greeted him.

 

"Hey, Park Wonbin, right?" Shotaro asked. Wonbin stopped and continued to glare at them.

 

"Glad to see you here. Can I ask a favor? Can you walk Jiwoo to the bus stop? I really have to get back to the council," Shotaro requested.

 

Jiwoo politely declined, saying, "Shotaro, it's okay! You don't have to bother him."

 

Shotaro insisted, saying, "How come? Friends are friends. Just once, okay?" He turned to Wonbin and asked again.

 

Jiwoo tried to protest once more, but this time, Wonbin agreed to Shotaro's request. "Great!" Shotaro smiled. "Well, I'll see you later, Jiwoo!" He said and hurried back to the building, leaving Wonbin and Jiwoo in an awkward situation.

 

Jiwoo attempted to explain, saying, "You really don't have to—"

 

But Wonbin interrupted, unable to contain his annoyance any longer, "Are you avoiding me? You were sick and didn't go to school, and now you are avoiding me? Did I do something wrong?" This time, his voice softened.

 

Jiwoo felt embarrassed for causing Wonbin to think like that, realizing that she was the one who felt out of place when she returned. "It's nothing. Just a little bit distant," she mumbled.

 

"A little bit distant? You didn't talk to me the whole day," Wonbin added.

 

Jiwoo retorted, "You were glaring at me the entire day. I tried to greet you when you came, but you didn't see me." She shyly confessed.

 

"I did not expect you'd come back," he explained with a sigh. "How are you feeling now? What happened to you?" He asked.

 

"I got sick," Jiwoo said.

 

"Are you fine now?" Wonbin inquired, studying her facial expressions and actions just in case he needed to analyze what she meant by the things she said. "I need to know because you are making me worried... as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter