Page Two: My Best Friend

Meant For Me

 

A lot of people were wondering on why Yoona was friends with me. The more surprising factor was why am I the closest to her meaning I have the title of the ‘best friend’ which most girls of the popular clique in our university truly coveted.

 

For what reason?

 

Well, Yoona is just the most beautiful girl in the campus according to the monthly surveys done by the newspaper club. She’s the crowned Ms. University for two years running already and she’s the most popular cheerleader.

 

Basically, girls wanted to use Yoona’s reputation to improve theirs but they can’t get close all because of me. I tend to ward off those kind away from her even without uttering a single word. Now this maybe one of the reasons why she got close to me but I’m not sure as well. All I know was she approached me one time during our break and from then on she tended to join me in. As what everyone say, the rest was history.

 

“Earth to Dara.”  Yoona said as she snapped her thin, pretty fingers in front of me.

 

Reluctantly, I looked back and saw a confused expression on her face. Her lips were slightly parted and I knew that it would soon turn into a pout. Like I predicted, she pouted as soon as I thought about it and I felt amused.

 

“Sometimes, you’re just annoying.” Yoona stated. Her arms were crossed in front of her chest like a kid throwing a tantrum.

 

“I know.”  I just said and returned to reading the e-book I have on hand.

 

“Why don’t you change?” Yoona said as she rolled her eyes; an attempt to act annoyed at me which I found quite cute at times. She added, “Never mind. I know what you’re going to say anyway.”

 

“What?”

 

“Huh?” 

 

“What do you think of what I’m going to say?”  I asked as my eyes remained focused on the e-book which I know added to her irritation.

 

“That I can just leave you alone and find better friends…” Yoona said with a frown visible on her face.

 

That made me look up to see her face flashed a pained expression. It’s not like I didn’t trust her. In fact, I do trust her and she’s the closest person aside from my family that I trust. It’s just that she doesn’t know me enough. Worst, I know she doesn’t make her best effort to know me at all. She takes what I can offer so I give what she wants to take. Confusing, right? But that’s the way it is with our relationship. My brother and older sister would just roll their eyes at me and scold me for being too passive on my relationships.

 

“Earth to Dara again.” Yoona said as she snapped her finger in front of me. Her eyes were filled with irritation mixed with a little sadness. She sighed as she brushed her hair—a habit of hers—as she said in defeat, “You’re lost in your own world again and I feel that I can’t reach you at all.”

 

“It’s just your feeling.” I simply said that made her sigh again.

 

“Of course it is.”

 

“Don’t think too much on it.”

 

“Of course I’ll think about it.”

 

“Stop worrying.” I said, my tone is a bit sharp now as we both have this kind of conversation often.

 

“How can I not worry? I’m your best friend!”  Yoona yelled in frustration.

 

“Then you should believe in my words if you are.”  I coldly said and stood up to iron my clothes. “I’ll leave first and talk to your boyfriend or anyone to cool down your head.”

 

“Dara!”  Yoona called out my name as I decided to ignore her.

 

Yes, I ignore her in times like this so the rift between us won’t get bigger than it is already. I’m sure Seunghyun or Hyunjoong or one of those girls would pacify her. Confrontations are one of the things that I hated the most. Especially if the other end is not someone who listens well. Yoona is one example and I’m not going to deny it or lie about it.

 

I felt the wind on my face and it made me smile as this part of the city still has the soothing feeling.

 

“You should really smile often, Dar.” I heard someone say and I knew who it was exactly. There is only one person who shortened my already short nickname to one syllable. It’s him.

 

I closed my eyes and turned away earning a few chuckles from him. I always wonder why he tends to be so responsive at the littlest action. Blame Yoona for being a kiss and tell person. Though it’s something I appreciate since I can get little bit of information about him that I knew nothing about.

 

“Mind your own business, Seunghyun.” I uttered without looking at him. Fear of being unable to talk in front of him surfaces. It always happens whenever I face him. He just got that certain aura that made me speechless.

 

He just let out a few chuckles again that made me snort.

 

“Did you fight with Yoona again?” Seunghyun asked.

 

“Fight is too strong of a word for what happened.” I answered and sighed. Remembering Yoona and her mind filled with drama just hurts my head.

 

“So what do you call it then?”

 

“An argument.”

 

“Same as fighting, in my own opinion.”

 

“Not really.” I said with finality that made him stop contradicting me and I felt something cold touched my cheeks. “Argh, cold.” I complained as I pushed him.

 

“Too hotheaded.” Seunghyun commented as he offered me the cold bottled cola drink which I accepted. I answered him with a glare that has no effect on him since he laughed again. “Your name in school doesn’t suit you. You’re no ice queen with that temper of yours, Dar.”

 

 “You’re not Mr. Nice Guy either with your sardonic personality.” I said in defense. “It’s not my fault that they’ve concluded I’m an ice queen just because I’m not a cheerleader type like Yoona.”

 

“Can’t even imagine it.” Seunghyun said that made me snort for the second time.

 

When I felt that we have run out of topic for the day, I turned around and prepared to walk away. I knew I used up all the things I can talk about him and I reached my limit on how long I can pretend I don’t care about him. But he just had to bring up the most annoying topic ever.

 

“By the way, Hyunjoong was moping…” Seunghyun said in a teasing tone.

 

“I don’t want to know the reason.” I said and walked away without bidding the goodbye.

 

But I can still hear him say, “Let’s invite him next time…”

 

And I can only sigh to myself.

 

Can I even have the courage to invite him to dinner with just the two of us?

 

That lingering question is floating on my mind for a while.