Page Sixteen: Curiosity and...

Meant For Me

 

Page Sixteen: Curiosity and...

 

 

“So what did she say?”

 

I heard my overbearing best friend’s voice asked and interrupted my thoughts. One of my eyebrows arched and before I could say anything, he grabbed me by my arm and dragged me on the side to avoid being in the middle of the lobby. Just like usual, my eyes automatically rolled as he asked me the same question again. I debated against myself whether I should tell on what happened or should I make Minho suffer more because of his too curious self.

 

“Sandy…” Minho whined as he realized that I won’t be offering any answers to any of his questions which frustrate him the most. After all, he doesn’t like the feeling of unanswered questions.

 

I laughed at him as his brows were connected at the middle and I’m almost tempted to take a photo souvenir so I can send it to Hyesun. I’m sure she’ll appreciate it the best. Minho groaned as I just continued keeping my silence as he glared at me with his eyes.

 

“I know what you’re trying to do, Sands.” Minho knowingly said. His brow has remained arched upwards that brought a smile to my face. “Seriously, don’t make me take out my triumph card.”

 

“As if you have one.” I finally broke my silence and my words earned my an arrogant smirk that made me feel like he has one.

 

“Oh, certainly I do.” Minho said and let out a confident laugh. “And you should know who that is.”

 

. I cursed in my thoughts as I realized what he’s talking about. Rather who he’s talking about.

 

“Seunghyun.” I muttered under my breath in the softest voice possible.

 

“Just a little bit of information, Sands.” Minho paused and smirked again. “He’s the most curious on what you’ve talked with Yoona.”

 

“It’s not like I did not talk with Yoona before. She’s my best friend here.” I pointed out. “Seeing me with her should be nothing out of the ordinary.”

 

 “I know someone who can tell it’s the other way around.” Minho said.

 

“Look, Minho. It’s nothing really.” I exclaimed and pleaded with him to stop this interrogation. “We just talked like how we normally do. Nothing to worry about.”

 

“She didn’t say anything like staying away from anyone?” Minho eyed me suspiciously but I knew better how to respond. My best friend seems to forget on how I can manage my expressions well.

 

With a confident smile, I told him, “Nothing of that sort. She even wished me luck.”

 

“I don’t believe you.”

 

“I’m not asking you to believe me. I’m asking you to stay out of this fiasco.” I stated and turned my back. “Whatever happens from now, you just need to remember it was all my decision.” I shook my head and pushed Minho away. Snorting, I added, “You people are just trying to stir up things.” I turned around and saw disbelief in Minho’s eyes that made me laugh. “See you later.”

 

I walked away before my best friend can recover from his surprise. It must have surprised him when I didn’t confide in him like I used to whenever someone was bothering me. After all, he was my appointed knight since birth, or so our parents said. I smiled as I remembered his shocked expression.

 

I better prepare myself as Minho would surely get revenge on me. And he has a record of going overboard. I shook my head and when I looked in front of me, I saw Yoona looking at me meaningfully. I just nodded in acknowledgement and went my way.

 

Little did I know that all the students seem to hold their breath at our little exchange and I just found it out through Hyunjoong.

 

“Dara...” Hyunjoong called out my name in a sing song tune, one that sounded like he was irritating somebody. Somebody named Seunghyun. As I can see from the corner of my eyes the death glares thrown by him that was ignored by this guy who’s busier hovering around me.

 

“Oh, hi.” I greeted him in an almost whispery voice that I got. My awkwardness got worst when I saw Seunghyun’s eyes turned into slits and Hyunjoong’s mischievous smile on his lips.

 

“Have you finished your game of playing hide and seek with me?” Hyunjoong asked in a playful tone yet I can see in his eyes the seriousness of his question.

 

“I’m not playing any game with you, Hyunjoong.” I whispered and avoided his mocking stares. Of course, I’m not playing any games with him since I am seriously avoiding the guy after his sudden confession. His steady advances are not even helping his case but worsening it for me. I was never used to aggressive advances by any guys. Wait, let me correct that, I am not used to any guy advances. When I saw his eyebrows arched upwards, I added, “What makes you think I’m playing any game at all?”

 

Hyunjoong smirked, much to my disappointment, as he answered, “Let me see…” He paused and acted like he was recalling some things. Then he smiled as he continued, “Whenever we would meet up in any part of the school, you tend to go in another way. Whenever I tried to approach you, you often excused yourself immediately. Whenever I tried to catch your attention, you pretend that you didn’t see me. Lastly, whenever I tried to talk to you, over the phone or personal, you always pretend that you were busy or blatantly ignoring me…” I gulped as he added, “Now tell me if you aren’t playing any game with me…?”

 

“It’s not a game…” I uttered in response to his long explanation. Then I added in the softest voice I have, “Not for me, anyway.”

 

“So it’s not just a game.” Hyunjoong said in a mocking tone. “You are just avoiding me.” He bitterly let out a chuckle and repeated his words, “Just me.”

 

Frowning, I looked at him and saw the hurt visible in his eyes.

 

“You are quite unfair, Dara.” Hyunjoong whispered as he looked straight into my eyes.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Why are you just avoiding me?” Hyunjoong asked in a pained voice.

 

“What do you mean by ‘just’?” I asked in confusion and heard him laugh again.

 

“We both know the answer to that.” Hyunjoong replied.

 

“Would I ask if I knew?” I snapped.

 

“Seunghyun.” Hyunjoong said.

 

“What about him?”

 

“You’re not avoiding him.” Hyunjoong pointed out. “We’re the same.”

 

“Is there a reason why should I avoid him?” I asked. Though I have a hunch on where this conversation would go.

 

“He likes you too yet he has the advantage of not being in your to-avoid list.” Hyunjoong scowled.

 

“He doesn’t like me.” I said and trying to forget the subtle words said by Seunghyun. Not because the guy was saying things like he likes a part of me means he likes me like the way Hyunjoong thought of. I snorted, “What makes you think that? He has Yoona.”

 

Then he laughed. To my surprise, it irked me the way he laughed at what I just said. It makes me feel like I’m a kid who seems to have been caught lying.

 

“As if that can stop him.” Hyunjoong commented and scoffed at me. “Don’t bother denying it. Most of the people here would know better.”

 

“I don’t understand.” I mumbled and looked away from him before the unsettling feeling inside bursts.

 

“Because you prefer not to.” Hyunjoong simply stated. “Just like how you’re trying to avoid me.”

 

Before I can even defend myself, I felt myself being pulled away from Hyunjoong until my nose bumped into someone’s chest. There’s no need to look up to see who it is since I sniffed his familiar scent. Crisp and smooth. Then I heard him say, “It’s time for practice. See you later, Hyunjoong.”

 

Then he dragged me away from Hyunjoong who I heard calling for me and shouting how he is right.

 

Little did Hyunjoong know that my mind has already been thinking about what he said and just like what he said, I was just avoiding the issue. And if possible would still continue to avoid the issue.

 

But that is just my hopeful thinking.

 

Because I can’t forever be a coward.

 

Or if I can, I would but there are times that I just need to grit my teeth and face it. Right now is one of those situations.