Page One: His Best Friend

Meant For Me

 

“Dar, have you seen Yoona?”

 

I looked up when I heard the very same voice I always hear in my dreams. I stared at him as if I was an idiot who doesn’t understand basic Korean. Like a fish out of water as what my brother often told me. Yeah, yeah, call me idiot, stupid or whatever names you wanted but you can’t blame me for being star struck always whenever I see him alone.

 

His thick brows furrowed at the center as I continued to hold my silence and my mind was still processing the words I should say that won’t make me dumber than I am. He rubs his neck just like he always does whenever he was nervous and it stings me a bit knowing that he was nervous with me. I don’t want that.

 

Seriously, I don’t want that. Name one person that wanted to make the person they like nervous with them. A normal person won’t like that. A normal person would want the person they like to be comfortable with them. A normal person wants a normal conversation between oneself and the person they like. And I still believe I’m in the league of a normal person. So shoot me if I feel so disappointed with how things are going.

 

“Tee-oh-pee! Don’t bother talking to the ice queen! No one can make her move unless it was the other half of the queen bees.” I heard one of the students told him as they passed by us.

 

Talk about being lost. How can I forget that we were still at the lobby of my third class, right before lunch hour and that many students were passing? Careless, dumb girl! I thought to myself.

 

“Shut up, man!” I heard him yell back and his lips formed a small smile. “Sorry about that.”

 

“You’re exchanging the Beauty Queen for the Ice Queen? Not bad, man!” Another guy rashly commented and gave a high-five. “Are you planning to break their little exclusive friendship?”

 

I was about to cut in and answer his question when his answer to one of those idiotic men shocked me.

 

“I was asking where Yoona is. Phone’s dead.” He said and let out a chuckle as he waved his dead phone. “Have you seen her?”

 

“She’s with Hyunjoong at the library. Man, you better get hold of your girl before that friend of yours steals her.”

 

He just laughed as if he didn’t worry about that possibility. And I worry for him. Yoona is definitely my best friend but I know she has her own share of breaking hearts that only a few know. Few meaning me and only me. No one knew about the hearts Yoona broke on outside school. She’s that much of a player except now.

 

“I trust her, dude! Stop making issues plus I know who Hyunjoong really likes.” He exclaimed and looked at my way.

 

I swear if my control over myself wasn’t that strong. I may have pulled my hair over the frustration that I was feeling now. Is this guy blind or what? Hyunjoong doesn’t LIKE me at all. He likes to tease me and make fun of my poker face.

 

“She’s at the library.” I finally answered in calm and collected voice, stopping the time between the other people at the lobby.

 

They are the surprised to hear me speak and since I am feeling a little generous. I added in mocking tone, “I’m not mute. I can speak so you should all close your mouths before a bee or a bug flew inside.” Then I walked away and when I was far enough from them, I run as fast as I can as I tried to get away from everyone and their judgmental eyes.

 

It’s not like I don’t talk to anyone but rather it’s everyone who tried to avoid me. Maybe it was because of my timid personality and my poker face that made me look like I was a cold and snobbish person unlike my good friend. I think it was Hyungjoong who never hesitated not even once to talk to me. No wonder I was able to tolerate him up until now because I was feeling damn thankful to him.

 

My feet have already stopped running and I was in the middle of the empty field when I realized I wasn’t alone. I can hear some huffs and puffs on my side. Curiously, I turned my head sideways and an eyebrow arched when I saw Hyunjoong trying to catch his breath beside me.

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked sharply and unwelcoming.

 

He grinned as he finally managed to catch his breath and threw his arms around my shoulders. I groaned when I felt him put half his weight on mine. With all my strength, I pushed him to the side but failed and complained, “You’re heavy! Get off!” He just laughed and continued to be my burden as I walked over to my favorite spot on the field. Some students that are passing have stopped just to look at us as if we are some display inside a museum. Their eyes were as wide as they can get as Hyunjoong managed to make me utter a few words and curses under my breath, making that guy laughed a lot than I expected.

 

As soon as we reached the shade, he got off me and pushed me to sit down on the grass as he used my lap as his own personal pillow. Every day we do this kind of routine and I’m getting tired on trying to make him follow me so I just let it be.

 

“Your head is heavy. My legs are getting numb.” I complained as I took out my ipad and read my books.

 

“You’re just weak that’s why your legs are getting numb just by this.” Hyunjoong said and closed his eyes. “Stop complaining, I can’t even sleep with all your chatters.”

 

I rolled my eyes at him as I continued to ignore the heavy thing on my lap. It’s not a wonder that students especially girls were gossiping about us being together because of his carelessness. As if I would want some manwhore like him for a boyfriend. I have enough problems as it is, thank you very much.

 

“I wonder why they call you ice queen.” Hyunjoong asked breaking his silence after ten minutes. A personal record for him. His brows were furrowed and eyes are half-open as he continued, “You’re quite nice…” and I heard him whisper, “…better than the other girls.”

 

I know my cheeks were red as I felt the heat rise to my face. To hide my embarrassment, I ignored his previous statement and mutter, “And you’ve lost your mind because of exhaustion. That’s the reason why you are noticing some things so can you get off my lap now? I still have a few subjects to attend to.”

 

“You’ve not eaten your lunch yet.” Hyunjoong pointed out as he finally got up. “No wonder you’re too thin just like your best friend.”

 

It made me laugh. People think that I starved myself to get this slim body of mine since my best friend would always prefer to eat too little to retain her body.


“What’s funny?” Hyunjoong asked with a crumpled face.


“You are.”

 

“I didn’t say anything that’s funny.”

 

I smirked at him and shook my head.

 

“You should tell me what you thought was funny.” Hyunjoong said and grabbed my wrist as I was about to stand up.

 

“You and your thoughts are funny.” I said as I managed to retain my balance as I was able to stand up despite his attempts to make me fall back. “I don’t starve myself. I eat a lot…” A look of disbelief can be seen on his face. I continued, “…ask Yoona or your friend. They’ve seen me how I eat before.”  I can see a question mark on his face when I mentioned his best friend whom I was speaking with earlier. I added, “I just have a very fast metabolism and that’s why I’m this stick thin.”

 

“How did TOP see you eat? Are you with them during their dates?” Hyunjoong asked with a look of mixed emotions. I didn’t bother reading it at all.

 

Again, I rolled my eyes at him as I answered, “He was with Yoona when my best friend decided to visit me last week.”

 

“And why am I not there?” Hyunjoong asked.

 

I shrugged my shoulder and I felt his fingers dug deeper to my skin. Sighing, I freed myself from him as I walked away and ignored his question. There are rare times where I felt so uncomfortable being alone with Hyunjoong. He has that certain aura that I never wanted to get acquainted with. If he starts acting differently, just like now, I would find a way to leave him before it gets worst. He sometimes acts like he own me. Yes, that’s it.

 

And he certainly doesn’t own me.

 

I don’t like being treated like an object. If ever I wanted to be one, I want it to be an object owned by him.

 

Him meaning Hyunjoong’s friend.


The university’s nicest guy.

 

My best friend’s current boyfriend.