Page Ten: Slip Up

Meant For Me

 

Page Ten: Slip Up

 

 

 

I was working at the library when I saw Suzy running towards me while she was trying to call my attention by waving her hands frantically. I smiled at the sight as she was always a reserved girl just like me. I waved back at her and walked a little bit to meet her halfway. She was huffing and puffing, trying to catch her breath when finally reached me.

 

“What’s the problem?” I asked as I already realized that Minho must have his hands full for him to send out someone from the council to find me. Normally, he would call and asked me to drop everything for him. He is that confident about our friendship.

 

Suzy grabbed my arm like I was her remaining lifeline. Like I was some savior. Barely catching her breath, she said, “Unni, there’s a big problem.”

 

My brows furrowed at the center as I carefully guide the younger girl towards the nearest chair. I patted her back, motioning her to take a deep breath before I asked, “What problem?” I waited for her to breathe in again as I added, “I thought everything has been finished already?”

 

Suzy looked down and avoided my eyes that raised one of my eyebrows.


“We thought so.” Suzy answered in reluctance.


“But?”

 

“It’s not much of a problem…” Suzy said. “If you can help us as what the president told us.”

 

“Now I’m worried for myself.” I confessed. “What do you need help with?”


Suzy timidly smiled as she said, “Let’s go to the office to discuss this further.”

 

“I’ll just go there later.” I mumbled as I looked around and found no one to take over. Mrs. Kim hasalready went home as she wasn’t feeling well. I guess I have to inform her son about it. Just the thought of speaking with Hyunjoong is something I’m not looking forward, not at all. Remembering his impromptu confession the other night is enough to remind me that I shouldn’t be too comfortable around him. Not now where it would just set my peaceful life into chaos.

 

“Unnie?” Suzy called for my attention that stopped my train of thoughts.

 

“Uhm, sorry.” I mumbled a timid reply and smiled. “I’ll just finish this one and will go there quickly.”

 

Her round eyes speak of fear. Probably fear that Minho would have her head plus the constant blabbers of Yonghwa when he’s pressured or unsure of. She wasn’t used to those mood swings that the two guys throw during these times. I messed around her long brownish hair and smiled.


“Fine.” I said. “You just relax there while I finished this one. Then we will go to the council’s office together.” She was about to protest when I waved my hand at her to cut her off. Then I added, “No worries, I’ll take the blame and complains of those wimps.”

 

That made the younger girl smile and nodded in agreement. I turned around and decided that I needed to ask another student assistant to help me out. I’m crossing my fingers that Yuri is still here. Yuri is the closest thing that I can get in the group of the student assistants. Most of them would just totally ignore my presence and hate me without knowing me.

 

Calling me a snob, attention-getter, user and a leech. I’m guessing that majority of the female population in the university calls me in those names. After all, I knew all the popular kids in the university. I looked around and I was losing hope now when I saw Yuri on the corner doing some paper works.

 

“Yuri” I called her name and she looked up. She waved her hand in acknowledgement.

 

“Hey, Dara, what’s up?” Yuri asked and a look of confusion is visible on her face.

 

Who wouldn’t? I rarely initiate a conversation. Well except for those whom I know of.

 

“Are you…” I started and looked at the messy table. I bit my lip as I continued, “kind of busy?”

 

Yuri followed my eyes and that made her laugh as if she was embarrass at the sight of the messy table. She shyly smiled and answered, “A little bit.” Maybe a look of disappointment has flashed in my eyes that she added, “But I can manage, why? You need something?”

 

My mind was debating whether I should ask her or not. But I worry for the seemingly major problem of the council.

 

“Dara?” Yuri called my name again as if stopping me from having the internal debate. She smiled as she continued, “You know you can ask me any favor. After all you always save my when I needed to cut my time because of my studies.” I frowned and she waved her little finger in front of me as she said, “Don’t you deny the fact that you took those working hours and entered it in my time card. Mrs. Kim told me so.”

 

“Ah…”

 

“So don’t be all shy now.” Yuri said and started to gather her things. “So…?”

 

“Uhm… I needed to time out early because of some problems but there’s no one who would close this place. Mrs. Kim went home earlier… and it’s a little too early to close down.” I blabbered and she let out a chuckle.


“Was that all you need?” Yuri said in relief. “I thought you needed some money or anything that’s too difficult.”

 

I smiled awkwardly and bit my lower lip.

 

“It’s okay, Dara.” Yuri said and shooed me away. “I can manage.”

 

I bowed a few times to thank her and walked away. I saw Suzy who was fiddling with her phone and she looked so surprised when I tapped her shoulder.

 

“Let’s go.” I told her and walked ahead of the younger girl.

 

If I just had waited for her, I would have seen that little mischievous smile on her face. Then I would have not been in an awkward situation. Just like the usual me, those little slip ups of mine is making my world a bit smaller than I wanted it to be.