Chapter 2

How much is enough?

Jessica was in a coffee shop. It was right opposite her new house, across the street. Jessica was there for the first time and she liked the place. It was bright and quiet and there was not many people inside. No one disturbed her as she sat by the window, drinking her coffee and staring into the distance. Until...

‘Hello! Is this seat free?’

Jessica snapped out of her thoughts and turned to look at the person, who had dared to disturb her. It was the same girl, who had helped her yesterday, and she was smiling.

‘I guess...’ Jessica replied and turned to look out of the window.

Sooyoung sat opposite Jessica and layed her coffee on the table.

‘Do you like your new apartment?’ she asked staring at Jessica.

‘It’s okay,’ Jessica answered glancing at Sooyoung. She’s pretty, Jessica thought, and cute. But...

‘You’re university student, right?’ Jessica asked.

‘Yes. My major is music,’ Sooyoung replied cheerfully. ‘I also work on radio. I’m the DJ of Saturday morning on AF-radio. Have you listened to it?’

‘No,’ Jessica replied briefly. She turned back to look out of the window. Sooyoung still didn’t take her eyes off Jessica. Jessica started to feel awkward.

‘What about you?’ Sooyoung asked. ‘Do you go to school or work?’

Jessica looked straight to Sooyoung’s eyes, when she answered.

‘I’m a model. I just got a contract on Star modelling agency, and will be working there for one year.’

Sooyoung’s eyes widened as Jessica spoke.

‘Wow. You’re really a model?’ Sooyoung said and observed Jessica now even more carefully. ‘Well, no wonder. You’re so pretty.’

Jessica suppressed a smile. Yes, she knew she was pretty.

‘You must have a lot of guys running after you,’ Sooyoung said in half joking manner.

Jessica only shrugged. Yes, guys tried to approach her sometimes, but she always turned them down. She simply wasn’t interested.

‘I prefer being alone,’ Jessica told.

Sooyoung raised her eyebrows surprised.

‘Well, I couldn’t imagine myself living alone,’ she said.

‘Who do you live with now then?’ Jessica asked.

‘My boyfriend,’ Sooyoung said and a happy smile appeared on her face.

Jessica nodded. Great. A university student and a common-law wife. Sigh...

Sooyoung had finished her coffee and prepared to leave.

‘It was nice to talk to you and get to know you better,’ she said smiling. ‘I gotta go now. See ya!’

Sooyoung left and Jessica stared after her through the window. She watched as Sooyoung crossed the street and walked to the front door of their house. She wouldn’t have turned her eyes away from her even then if she hadn’t heard a loud voice speaking right next to her.

‘How do you know that girl?’

A dark haired girl with sunglasses sat to the chair, where Sooyoung had been sitting just a while ago. She took off the sunglasses and revealed her strongly lined dark eyes. She tossed her hair frustratedly and looked at Jessica waiting for answer.

‘It’s none of your business,’ Jessica answered coldly. But she was curious. ‘Why?’

‘I’m a friend of her boyfriend, Choi Siwon. Have you met him?’ the girl said.

‘No. I only moved to their neighbour yeasterday,’ Jessica revealed.

The girl’s eyebrows raised in interest and a sly smile crept on her face.

‘You know... You seem like a person I like,’ she said. ‘My name is Tiffany Hwang. What’s your name?’

‘Jessica Jung,’ Jessica said. She couldn’t really say that she liked Tiffany, but there surely was something interesting in her...

‘So Jessica, huh?’ Tiffany said. ‘How about we take a little walk? Get to know each other.’

Jessica shrugged her shoulders.

‘Fine for me,’ she said.

 

As Sooyoung came home, she went to the living room and found Siwon there with a laptop. She sat down on the other end of the couch and put the TV on.

‘You know who I met in the cafe? Our new neighbour, Jessica,’ Sooyoung said.

‘How is she?’ Siwon asked.

‘She’s weird. No matter how nice and friendly I tried to be, her expression stayed the same. She didn’t smile even once!’ Sooyoung said.

‘How rude of her.’

‘Um... But I don’t think she’s really like that. She acts cold, but I think that’s only exterior.’

Sooyoung stood up and went to the kitchen. She saw dirty dishes in the kitchen sink and frowned.

‘Did you clean up today?’ she asked loudly, so that Siwon could hear her in the living room.

‘Oh, no, sorry. I didn’t have time,’ Siwon replied.

Sooyoung walked back to the living room.

‘What do you mean you didn’t have time? It was your turn today, we talked about it yesterday!’ she said.

‘I’ve been writing my study,’ Siwon explained and looked at Sooyoung’s pouting face. He smiled.

‘Come here,’ he said and tapped the seat next to him.

Sooyoung walked to the couch and sat down next to Siwon. He wrapped his arm around her.

‘I promise I'll clean up tomorrow. Okay?’ Siwon said.

‘Okay,’ Sooyoung sighed.

‘Let’s go out tonight. I’ll take you to a restaurant,’ Siwon suggested.

Sooyoung turned to look at her boyfriend, happy smile appearing on her face.

'Sounds good.'

After an hour they were ready to go. As they stepped out of their door, they saw Jessica on the corridor. She was coming back from her walk with Tiffany. Sooyoung greeted her cheerfully.

‘Hi! Jessica this is Siwon, Siwon this is Jessica,’ she introduced.

Siwon smiled politely, but Jessica didn’t.

‘Nice to meet you,’ Siwon said.

‘Nice to meet you too,’ Jessica nodded.

There was an awkward silence.

‘Let’s go,’ Siwon said quietly to Sooyoung and grapped her hand. Sooyoung waved at Jessica, as she and Siwon walked to the stairs.

Jessica opened her door and went into her apartment. She put the lights on and walked to the kitchen. She took a ready meal from the fridge and put it to the microwave.

As she waited for the food to get ready, she went to the window and looked outside. Siwon and Sooyoung were walking down the street, holding hands, fingers intertwined. Sooyoung was talking excitedly to her boyfriend.

Jessica felt annoyed all of a sudden. Why did Sooyoung have to be so sweetness and light around Siwon? What did she see in him?

Jessica snorted frustrated and left the window.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------

Thank you for comments and subscribing :D Hope you liked this chapter. I'll try to update again this week!