Chapter 12

How much is enough?

'Sooyoung. I really want to see you again. I need to know why you're avoiding me. If it's because you've realised how I feel about you, then I'm sorry...'

Jessica sighed. Who was she kidding? And what difference did it make if she was sorry? She had to start again.

'Sooyoung. I really like you and I miss you...'

Haha, no, she couldn't say anything like that.

'Sooyoung.' This was not working. There was no way she would open up like that. It was easy as she did it home alone to a kitchen cabinet, but in front of Sooyoung she would never dare.

What would she say then? She missed Sooyoung so much... She hadn't seen her in what felt like forever, though it probably was just a few days. Not more than a week at least. But it felt like a year. Sooyoung's answers to her text messages were always the same: short and contained some excuse of why she couldn't see Jessica.

But Jessica was going to end this now. She would muster up her courage and go talk to Sooyoung face to face. It was just that she couldn't figure out anything sensible to say. She didn't want to accuse Sooyoung for avoiding her, when she couldn't be sure if she really did avoid her.

Jessica sighed and walked to her front door. She put on her shoes and looked in the mirror. She combed her hair with her fingers trying to make it look prettier, then gathered all the hair to a bun behind her head. But that didn't look better, so she let her hair fall back on her shoulders.

Okay, this was how she was going to look like.

Jessica opened the door and went out. She prepaired to go ring Choi's doorbell, but noticed surprised that the door was already ajar. Jessica crept to look inside from the gap. But she couldn't see anyone inside.

Jessica hesitated for a second before she rang the doorbell. It's voice echoed inside the apartment. But apparently there was no one home, since there was no response.

But why was the door open then? Of course they wouldn't leave it like that if they went out. Maybe it had left open by accident? Jessica wondered if she should close it.

No, she should check first.

Jessica pulled the door open slowly and put her head in. It was all quiet.

'Hello?' she asked. No answer.

She should just close the door. But something prevented her from doing that. Then it hit her. What if something bad had happened? Image of Sooyoung getting beated by a burglar popped into her head. By impulse she stepped in the apartment.

Oh, come on, nothing like that can have happened! she scolded herself. But just to be sure..

Jessica left the door ajar and crept to the living room. Everything seemed to be fine. She checked out the bathroom, bedroom and the kitchen, but didn't find Sooyoung lying on the floor unconscious.

She was in the kitchen, when she decided to quickly leave the apartment, before anyone knew she was there. She felt like a fool. But right then she heard voices from the front door. Someone came in and the door clicked closed.

In panic Jessica searched for a place to hide. No no no, they couldn't find her here! Under the table? No, they'd see her. But where else could she go?

Jessica moved a chair from her way. It screeched against the floor. Oh crap.

'Who's there?' she heard Sooyoung's voice call on the alert.

What am I gonna do now?

Jessica stood frozen in the middle of the kitchen. She could hear cautious steps slowly come closer. As they reached the kitchen doorway, Jessica darted behind the table.

Sooyoung screamed.

'Jessica?' she asked then, recognizing the girl.

'Hi,' Jessica peeped.

'What are you doing here?' Sooyoung asked. She sounded relieved.

'The door was open.'

'Yes,' Sooyoung said. 'Oh, come away from there. Sit down.' 

Jessica raised up and sat down by the dining table. Sooyoung sat down beside her and stared at her. Jessica stared down at her hands.

It had been a while since they had been this close to each other. Jessica didn't dare to look at Sooyoung, even though she wanted to, because she was afraid she would start smiling stupidly or blush.

'Why didn't you just close the door?' Sooyoung asked.

'I thought... I wanted to check out if everything is alright,' Jessica explained.

'Ah... okay,' Sooyoung said. It sounded like she was smiling, but Jessica didn't dare to look.

'What did you think could've happened?' Sooyoung asked interested.

'I don't know..' Jessica replied embarrassed. She decided to change the subject. 'I wanted to talk to you about something.'

'Yes?' Sooyoung said.

Jessica didn't know how to start. Sooyoung waited.

'I wanted to ask you...' Jessica started. 'if we're still friends.'

She turned her head to look at Sooyoung. Her heart jumped as she saw her. Sooyoung was so beautiful.. But she looked hesitant, dodging Jessica's eyes. However then she smiled again and looked back at Jessica.

'Sure,' she said. 'I've just had so much to do, and I don't know when I'll have time to be with you again, but I promise that we're still friends.'

Jessica really wanted to believe those excuses, but she knew the taller girl wasn't telling the truth.

'What's wrong?' Sooyoung asked rigidly noticing Jessica's face.

'Are you... I mean, do you like me?' Jessica stuttered. 'I mean, I'm sorry if I did something wrong. I didn't mean to, and I just want us to be friends like we used to be...'

Jessica looked down embarrassed.

'Jessica...' Sooyoung started. She raised her hand towards the brunette, but stopped midair and pulled it back. 'I want us to be friends too. You haven't done anything wrong, it's my fault...'

Jessica looked at her questioning.

'I do like you... I just need time to think,' Sooyoung explained.

'Think about what?' Jessica asked.

'Just... things,' Sooyoung replied.

They were quiet for a while. Then Sooyoung spoke again.

'I need to start cooking now.'

'Oh, okay. I have to leave then, right?' Jessica said and stood up.

'I walk you to your door,' Sooyoung offered smiling.

They walked out of the apartment. In the empty corridor they stopped in front of Jessica's door. Jessica turned around and they looked at each other.

'Can I hug you?' Jessica asked quickly.

'Yeah,' Sooyoung nodded, smiling. She knew she shouldn't do it, but she really missed their hugs.

Jessica's face turned into a joyful smile. She reached her arms to a hug and stepped closer. Sooyoung wrapped her arms around Jessica and held her close. Jessica's arms clang tightly around Sooyoung's neck, and she closed her eyes, smiling.

'Um.. Jessica?' Sooyoung said as Jessica didn't let go of her after a while.

Jessica quickly let go, but she was still smiling when she looked at Sooyoung again. Sooyoung couldn't help smiling back at her.

But before they noticed, the atmosphere had changed. Their eye's were fixed at each other and it was like someone had turned current of electricity on between them. Sooyoung felt her heart start beating faster. Jessica's beautiful, brown eyes were all she could see.

Then Jessica slowly leaned closer. Their lips approached each other. But before Jessica's lips could touch Sooyoung's, Sooyoung woke up to the situation.

'Jessica!' she pushed the shorter girl away.

Sooyoung's heart raised very quickly, as she looked at Jessica's shocked face.

'I-I can't,' she stuttered and turned away.

She felt Jessica grab her wrist and stopped. She turned back to look at Jessica. The girl's expression was desperate.

'But I love you,' Jessica whispered broken-hearted.

Sooyoung froze. She couldn't breathe. She quickly twitched her hand away from Jessica and rushed to her door. She got in and pulled the door closed behind her.

Jessica stared at the closed door. Tears bursted out from her eyes and streamed down her face. Then she turned around, took her keys from her pocked and fumbled it into the keyhole. The door clicked open and Jessica disappeared from the corridor.

Neither of them had noticed a person looking at them in the staircase.

 

Sooyoung pulled the door closed behind her and walked blindly to her living room. She sank on the couch and let tears fall on her cheecks.

This couldn't happen, she didn't want it to happen. She hurt Jessica so badly...

The girl's desperate face pictured in her mind. "But I love you," "I love you," "I love you,"...

Sooyoung hid her face in her palms. Jessica... But she did the right thing. She couldn't be with Jessica, she just couldn't.

Tears bursted out from her eyes. If this was right, why did it hurt so much? She didn't want this, she just wanted... to be with Jessica. She wanted Jessica to be there in her arms, she wanted Jessica to smile.

Jessica... I love you too. I love you so much...

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------

^^