Seven

Don't make my mind all scrambled up

 

 

Seulgi took a moment before answering. But just as she was about to open , a set of keys rattled in the door and Wendy and Joy came bursting in, laden with lots of shopping bags. 

 

"So sorry we took so long!" Joy exclaimed. "We were almost out of the building but Wendy-unnie dragged me back to buy these expensive wines."

 

"What?" Wendy shrugged. "It was on sale."

 

"Oh, we're drinking tonight?" Seulgi smiled as she walked over to the two. "Wow, you bought these all, Seungwan?" 

 

"I'm sending some of those home." Wendy examined the several bottles stacked on top of each other in the bag. "Hold on, let me just pick which ones to leave here."

 

"Unnie, here's your bubble tea." Joy handed a tall drink to Irene. 

 

"Thank you." Irene stood up. "I'll get started on dinner. I think we have fish in stock. Seungwan-ah, that will pair well with white wine, right?" 

 

"Yes. I'll help you cook."

 

 

Joy and Seulgi had a mini fashion show as the younger girl flaunted her recent hauls. Seulgi commented every now and then, offering her opinions on what bag or accessory that would best match with what Joy put on. 

 

Yeri got home just as the two other girls were about to finish preparing dinner and she marvelled at the smell that wafted towards her as soon as she stepped foot inside the dorm. 

 

"Ooh, that smells so good!" She giddily walked over to the kitchen. "Let me have a taste."

 

A few minutes later, the dorm was filled with the sounds of cutlery, conversations, and laughter as Red Velvet enjoyed their dinner paired with Wendy's newly-bought wine. 

 

Seulgi, Yeri, and Joy played a very intense game of rock-paper-scissors to determine who's going to wash the dishes. In the end, Yeri lost and she grumpily went about her task as the rest of the group migrated to the living room to finish the remaining contents of the wine.

 

The girls were opening a second bottle by the time Yeri rejoined the girls. She sat down and poured a tall glass for herself.

 

"Hey," Irene gestured to Joy. "Sooyoung-ah, don't down your glass in one go! This isn't a race."

 

"I can't help it," Joy whined. "I see alcohol, I want to chug. Maybe I prefer vodka to wine."

 

"Aish," Seulgi tutted. "Sooyoung, this is what classy women drink now. You're 24 now, you should leave those kinds of drinks in the past."

 

"Yeah," Yeri nodded. "Leave those to us cool kids. It might be too much for you old people."

 

The room was immediately filled with shouts of protest.

 

"Excuse me," Wendy retaliated. "I can still throw down with vodka!"

 

"Bring it on, grandma!" Yeri answered.

 

"Let's do it," Joy sat up straighter. "Maknaes versus Grandmas."

 

"Can I be on team Maknae?" Seulgi raised her hand.

 

"No, no, no," Yeri vigorously shook her head. "We don't want you, lightweight."

 

"Yah! I'm not a lightweight!" Seulgi protested. But it was just met with laughter.

 

Seulgi's not a lightweight, not really, but she does like to drink lots of alcohol in a short span of time which almost always leads to her getting drunk a lot faster than the others.

 

Like right now, for example. Seulgi and Joy had been downing their glasses much faster than the rest of the group and the older girl is almost at her tipping point.

 

"You totally are." Irene commented before she could stop herself. She remembered all the times she had to take Seulgi by the arm becuase the girl was far too gone to walk straight.

 

The bottle of wine was eventually emptied but the girls' debate was still ongoing. Irene got up to fetch a glass of water. She was starting to feel the effects of the alcohol so she figured it was time to stop. 

 

"I can take you all by myself," Yeri said loudly. "I don't even need a teammate." 

 

"I won't clean up your mess if you throw up all over yourself." Seulgi replied. 

 

"Ew, don't throw up in the bathroom, please." Joy put her nose in the air. "We don't need a repeat of before."

 

"For the last time," Wendy huffed. "I hadn't had dinner yet that time and you idiots made me drink that beer all in one go!" 

 

"I remember that one!" Yeri managed to choke out after a laughing fit. "Joohyun-unnie was the only one who was willing to come near you."

 

"Yeah, she smelled like barf." Seulgi's eyes disappeared into slits from laughing too much. 

 

"I even helped you change into clean clothes." Irene added.

 

"I remember that." Wendy pouted. "I threw out all my soiled clothes in the morning even though I really liked that hoodie."

 

"Yerim-ah, you can take Seungwan." Seulgi said.

 

"Throw in Joohyun-unnie too." Wendy added.

 

"No way," Irene protested. "I won't be participating."

 

The rest of her members groaned. 

 

"You always do this, unnie!" Joy whined.

 

"Yeah, I haven't even seen you drunk out of your mind." Yeri said. "I want to take unflattering pictures of you so I can update my folder."

 

"What the hell," Seulgi lightly pushed the maknae. "What is on that folder?"

 

"Nothing much. Just videos of you snoring."

 

They all laughed as Seulgi attempted to wrestle Yeri's phone out of her hands.

 

"I'll just officiate." Irene suggested. "It won't be fair if I join anyway since we can't split into even groups."

 

"No, that won't do." Wendy said after finishing her glass. "You have to join, unnie."

 

"We'll even give you a choice," Yeri offered. "You can join team Maknae or team Grandma."

 

"Here's a tip: team Granmda ." Joy winked.

 

"I'll join team Maknae then." Irene acquiesced.

 

"Then let's name our team '94 liners'!" Seulgi pumped her fists in the air. "Seungwan-ah, hwaiting!"

 

"Hwaiting, Seul!" Wendy cheered.

 

"Then it's settled." Yeri clapped her hands. "This Friday?"

 

"Let's go!"

 

 

Irene excused herself shortly after to wash up. She wanted to go for an morning walk tomorrow so she figured she'd turn in early.

 

"Don't make too much of a mess, alright?" She warned.

 

"Yeeeeees."

 

 

---

 

 

Irene was in the kitchen, drinking a glass of water before she went to sleep when Seulgi wandered around the area, swaying slightly.

 

"You alright?" Irene chuckled as Seulgi just made an 'okay' sign with her fingers.

 

"You have sleepy eyes." Irene noted. "You're drunk."

 

"But I'm not yet sleepy." Seulgi fluttered her eyes and smiled widely.

 

Irene handed her the glass of water she was about to drink. "Here. You should hydrate well if you're going to drink at that pace, Seulgi. Yerim might be right. You're such a lightweight."

 

"Bae Joohyun is so awesome," Seulgi said as she took the glass from Irene's hand. "You always take care of us."

 

"Always." Irene smiled. "You guys should get some sleep. It's late, and Joy is on her crying drunk stage."

 

True enough, in the living room, Wendy was rubbing Joy's back as the latter cried and sipped from her wine glass. Yeri was shaking from silent laughter as she filmed the mess using her phone. 

 

"Joohyunnie.." Seulgi slurred. She was leaning on the table, squinting up at Irene. "Are we still not okay?"

 

Irene bit her lip. While this version of Kang Seulgi was extremely adorable, she knew they shouldn't be talking about this especially since the other girl was not in a right state of mind. 

 

"We're okay." Irene patted Seulgi's head. "Just rest now, alright?" 

 

"Alright." She got up and stretched. "I'll see you tomorrow, unnie." 

 

"Good night." Irene turned her back to the girl to grab another glass of water. 

 

Seulgi walked over to where Irene was standing and she coiled her arms around Irene's waist, hugging the shorter girl from behind. She settled her neck on Irene's shoulder. 

 

"What are you doing?" Irene stood frozen as waves of electricity ran through her body. She was not prepared for this sudden physical interaction, not when she and Seulgi haven't even been able to be alone in the same room for a long time. 

 

"Nothing. I just miss you." She breathed in heavily. "And you smell good."

 

Back hugs meant nothing. It's just a simple gesture, something that they've done about a thousand times before, but Irene just couldn't stop the way her heart was beating fast and loud. 

 

She shouldn't be feeling this way. She knew that. That had been imprinted in her mind for a long time now but then again, the heart wants what it wants.

 

Irene wondered how long she can keep denying what she feels for Seulgi. 

 

"You shouldn't do this." Irene whispered. 

 

"Good night." Seulgi planted a soft kiss on Irene's mole that was located at her temple. Then she quickly let go.

 

"And don't worry, unnie." Seulgi grabbed her phone which had been ringing for a while now. Irene didn't even notice. "About that night.. You were right. I was just confused."

 

 

Irene's eyes widened. It was the first time they talked about it in the open. 

 

 

Seulgi's mouth formed into a small smile.

 

 

 

 

"I didn't really mean it when I said I had feelings for you."