Thirty Nine

Don't make my mind all scrambled up

 

 

 

 

 

“This is a nice place,” Irene’s eyes wandered around to check out Seulgi’s apartment. “You decorated the place really well.”

 

“Thanks..” Seulgi sheepishly smiled.

 

They spent the next few minutes talking about trivial things. Irene kept telling Seulgi that she was proud of the latter for finally being able to move out.

 

They were both walking on eggshells around each other, trying not to say or do anything to upset the other. Irene was running out of things to compliment and Seulgi pretty much used up all the Double Patty topics around 20 minutes ago.

 

Seulgi wished Yeri was still around to diffuse the tension because now, they were just sitting across from each other, unsure of what to do next. Irene didn’t want to go, and Seulgi didn’t want Irene to go, but they knew that they needed to talk because the silence was getting too uncomfortable.

 

“Seulg—”

“Joohyun—”

 

“I’m sorry.” They both said at the same time. Seulgi wondered how they ended up here when they used to be so in sync with each other.

 

“I brought you cake.” Irene pushed a small box across the table. “Shall we eat it?”

 

They slowly warmed up to each other as they shared the small slice of cake that Irene bought. Pretty soon, they were talking again, laughing about trivial things, and when silence finally fell upon them, it was not laced with tension, unlike the one they shared an hour ago. Irene was finishing up the left over cake when Seulgi wordlessly got up and went to the other room. When she came back, she gently placed a small box in front of her ex-girlfriend.

 

“Here,” Seulgi simply said. “This is for you.”

 

“What is this?” Irene slowly opened the box. It was a ring.

 

“S-Seulgi..”

 

“I didn’t want it to go to waste.” Seulgi sat down beside Irene. “You don’t have to wear it, unnie. I just wanted to give it to you. I looked it up and found out that the profits from this collection will help support those who were affected by Covid-19. So it’s actually a good inv—”

 

Seulgi’s rambling was cut short because Irene suddenly pulled her in for a hug. “Thank you, Seulgi-yah. I really like it.”

 

“It’s—it’s not a problem.” Seulgi huffed.

 

“It’s your birthday, why are you the one giving gifts?” Irene buried her head in Seulgi’s hair. She missed the calming effect that Seulgi had on her and she wanted them to stay like this for just a little longer.

 

“It was supposed to be a housewarming gift.” Seulgi answered in a small voice. “But.. well, you know..”

 

Irene didn’t want to let go, and Seulgi didn’t want Irene to let go, so they held each other for several minutes more.

 

“I have to go now.” Irene whispered.

 

“Okay then.” Seulgi nodded.

 

Before Irene finally let go, she placed a soft kiss on the top of Seulgi’s head. “Happy birthday. I wish you all the best.”

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

“You are such a dork, unnie.” Yeri slapped Seulgi’s arm away because the older one kept fidgeting with the bag that Irene gave her. “Quit playing with your present.”

 

“It’s so cute, did you know I wore it to bed, Yerim-ah? It’s just so cute, I can’t wait to use this everywhere I go!”

 

“You wore it to bed?” Yeri shook her head in disbelief. “You are hopeless. Did you give unnie the ring?”

 

“Yes, and she said she really liked it.” Seulgi smiled widely.

 

The two of them were sitting at the back, waiting for the preview screening of Double Patty to start. When Irene and the rest finally came to the stage, Yeri gasped and pointed at Irene’s hand. “Unnie, unnie, she’s wearing the ring!”

 

“Really?” Seulgi squinted hard but since they were sitting pretty far from where Irene was, she could hardly see their leader’s hand.  

 

“Yes, it looks good on her.” Yeri smiled.

 

 

They didn’t get the chance to talk to Irene since the latter was busy so before Seulgi and Yeri left, they bid goodbye to their member from afar. Yeri waved frantically and Irene smiled when she saw the both of them mouthing their congratulations.

 

Irene pointed at her ring and smiled crookedly. Seulgi energetically waved her bag around. They both laughed at their antics while Yeri rolled her eyes good naturedly at her two unnies.

 

 

 

---

 

 

The girls got busier as the weeks progressed since they all had their solo projects so they only got together during company meetings regarding their group plans. There still wasn’t a clear date for their much-awaited comeback since the executives decided that the members should focus on their individual activities first.

 

Irene was surprised one night when her phone rang and it was Seulgi on the other end.

 

“Hello? Seulgi?”

“Are you busy?”

 

“No,” Irene answered quickly. “Why?”

 

“You want to go out?”

 

Irene’s brow furrowed in confusion. “Tonight?”

 

“Yes, tonight. Right now.”

“Right now?”

 

“Yes, unnie, right now.” Seulgi laughed. “So? Is that a yes?”

 

“All right.” Irene was still confused.

 

“Cool. Grab your things, I’m outside.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What in the world?” Irene adjusted her face mask as she stared at Seulgi. “You brought a car?”

 

“It’s mine.” Seulgi proudly patted the hood of her car. “Don’t you know? I’m Volkswagen’s new ambassador!”

 

Of course Irene knew. But she wanted to tease Seulgi so she feigned surprise. “Oh, really? That’s great! Are you allowed to drive?”

 

“Yes, I’m a responsible driver, unnie!” Seulgi answered. “Now, let’s go! I’m hungry.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene didn’t know what was going through Seulgi’s mind as they drove into the night. The invitation was so sudden and before she knew it, they were arguing over where to eat, just like old times. Irene decided not to overthink things too much and just enjoy the moment.

 

Dinner was an eventful one because Irene kept teasing Seulgi about her bag. “It’s a nice gift, okay? I told everyone I’ll always use it so that’s what I’m doing!” Seulgi explained grumpily.

 

“But it’s so small, you can’t even put your camera inside!” Irene laughed as she pointed.

 

“That’s why I invested in a good camera strap, it’s meant to be worn like this!”

 

After dinner, Irene dragged Seulgi to a café so they could buy the cake she’s been dying to try out. “It’s my treat,” Irene said as she snapped a couple of pictures. “Go pick what you like.”

 

They bought food for their other members and on the drive back to the dorm, they still couldn’t stop laughing and teasing each other.

 

“These are all blurred,” Seulgi whined. They were now on the parking lot, comparing the photos they took of one another. “Look at the ones I took!”

 

“It’s because you used a film camera, Seulgi.” Irene pouted and she grabbed the camera from the younger one. “Here, let me try.”

 

Irene snapped away and Seulgi squinted her eyes when she checked out the camera. “Unnie, I’m going to say something. Don’t be mad, okay?”

 

“What is it?”

 

Seulgi struggled to hide her smile. “These are all out of focus.”

 

“Noooooooo!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They spent another half hour on the parking lot, and when it was time to go, Irene finally got the courage to ask. “Why did you invite me out, Seulgi?”

 

Seulgi shrugged. “I had a weird feeling today. I sensed you were sad. I wanted to you to smile and have fun, in case I was right. And if I was wrong, well, I still wanted to you to have fun.”

 

Irene fought back tears because she had been feeling down lately and Seulgi picked up on that even if they weren’t seeing much of each other anymore. “I—I don’t know what to say.”

 

“You don’t have to say anything.” Seulgi smiled widely. “I have to go now, unnie. It’s getting pretty late.”

 

“Okay. Have a safe trip home.” Irene pulled her in for a hug. “Thank you so much.”

 

“It’s no problem.” Seulgi brushed her hair softly. “Have a good night, Joohyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

As Irene watched Seulgi drive away, she wondered if she’d ever find someone who knows and gets her like Seulgi does.