Thirty Five

Don't make my mind all scrambled up

 

 

 

 

 

“So,” Seulgi stretched as she turned to her girlfriend. “Where do we go?”

 

“Wherever you want, my love.” Irene fondly answered.

 

“What do you want to do?”

“Surprise me.”

 

Seulgi briefly paused as she contemplated whether to inform their manager of their plans. “You know what, why don’t we go off the grid for once? Just do whatever we want to do?”

 

Irene really wanted to protest, but Seulgi’s smile was so hopeful and the fact that she really, really, needed a distraction that particular day made all reason jump out the window.

 

“Let’s do it!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They spent the day roaming around the city just like two normal couple—or at least they tried to. The girls were clad in their thick coats, their baseball caps pulled low over their heads, their masks pulled up just below their eyes. It kind of ruined the vibe just a little bit whenever Irene and Seulgi took turns at occasionally looking over their shoulder just to make sure that no one is following them. Still, just the fact that they’re basically alone on this date was worth the trouble.

 

The day turned to night and the couple held each other tightly as snow poured heavily. Their favorite café was mercifully open and the two hurriedly walked inside because the cold was starting to be too much.

 

“Aigoo, you can never go wrong with hot chocolate.” Irene giddily said as she wrapped her hands around the steaming mug.

 

“Unnie, I bought cake.” Seulgi shyly pushed the carrot cake towards Irene. “I hope this makes you feel better.”

 

Irene stared at the small bunny drawn with icing on the cake. Her lips tugged up to a crooked smile and she reached out to hold Seulgi’s hand. “You know I love you, right?”

 

“I do.” Seulgi took Irene’s warm hands and placed it gently on her own cheek. “And I love you. Always.”

 

They spent the evening talking and laughing without any care in the world.  Irene just couldn’t help but get lost in Seulgi’s warm eyes and it’s like all her fears and worries were slowly drifting away. Nothing else mattered; it’s just Irene and Seulgi and the moment that they’re in right now.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Seulgi suddenly became conscious of her actions.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like—like..” Seulgi’s voice dropped to a whisper. “Like I’m your whole world, or something.”

 

Irene laughed heartily. “It’s because you are, silly!”

 

Seulgi’s fluffy cheeks turned pink and her eyes were reduced into slits. “Y—yah.. Don’t say things like that, Joohyun..”

 

Seulgi just looked too adorable getting shy like that so as if on instinct, Irene stood on her toes and gave her a quick kiss before she could stop herself.

“Unnie!” Their eyes both got wide and they hastily looked around to see if anybody saw. Thankfully, they were seated in a secluded area and the place was virtually empty so they’re practically hidden from view.

 

“Sorry.” Irene put a hand on her lips.

 

“It’s fine.” Seulgi cheekily smiled. “Let’s go home?”

 

“Sure, my love.”

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

For a while, it was complete bliss. The trailer for Double Patty received positive feedbacks and even though Irene still wasn’t allowed to post and update (not that the company explicitly forbid her, but the way the higher ups phrased the words were enough convince her that she really wasn’t allowed), since she’s constantly with Seulgi whenever the latter went online, Irene felt like she was there with her fans who continued to support her and show her love through these hard times.

 

As for her relationship with Seulgi, recently, everything seems perfect. There really was no other word to describe it. They were on a honeymoon phase and they felt so happy that even the maknaes’ constant teasing never stopped them from being sweet when they were together. Joy always complained that they were starting to get nauseating with the way they looked at each other and Yeri always made inappropriate jokes whenever she had an opening. Wendy participated in the light teasing but she always checked up on the two to make sure that everything was going smooth. And to everyone’s delight, it really was smooth sailing.

 

 

 

Whenever they had separate schedules, they always made sure to update each other constantly. Even the staff noticed how Seulgi was always on the phone during her break and when asked about it, she simply answered: “It’s just Irene-unnie checking up on me.” before sneaking off to a more secluded area to whisper “I love you.” before she hung up. During group schedules, they kept it professional but the occasional lingering stares and the way their fingertips often brushed against each other as if their bodies were just aching to be near each other didn’t go by unnoticed. The two of them just shrugged it off and continued with their work as always. However, lately, they just couldn’t shake the feeling that someone was watching them.

 

On that fateful day, Irene and Seulgi’s day started off just like any other Monday morning. They woke up, cuddled for a solid 30 minutes, then when Seulgi couldn’t mask the grumbling in her stomach any longer, they got up and made breakfast for Joy who was the only one currently staying at the dorm besides them since Wendy has been sleeping over at her parents’ home and Yeri was busy with her apartment search.

 

The three of them were happily enjoying breakfast when the door suddenly burst open and revealed Wendy and Yeri on the other side.

 

“What are you doing here so early in the morning?” Joy asked.

 

“Beats me.” Yeri answered before sauntering over to grab a piece of toast.

 

“We were told to come here first thing in the morning and..” Wendy hesitated.

 

“And?” Irene prompted.

 

“And not to tell you guys anything.”

 

Before any of them could speculate what ever is going on, Irene’s phone rang suddenly and they all jumped. When Irene answered, her expression turned blank for a moment before formed into a hard line.

 

“Understood.” Irene said curtly. “We’ll be there right away.”

 

“What’s happening?” Seulgi turned to her.

 

“Finish up. We need to go to a meeting.” Irene simply replied.

 

“Aww, but it’s so early!” Joy and Yeri grumbled in unison.

 

“No..” Irene shook her head. “Not you guys.”

 

Wendy’s brows burrowed in confusion but when she saw the look on their leader’s face, she instantly knew.

 

“The management wants to talk to Seulgi and I.”