One

Don't make my mind all scrambled up

 

 

It had been another long day.

 

Irene sighed as she plopped down on the couch of their dorm, too tired to even shrug out of her coat.

 

Red velvet is preparing for another comeback and the girls have been working hard for weeks now. Or has it been months? Irene's not even sure.

 

She settled on the couch and was preparing to take a quick nap when she heard several loud voices coming from Yeri's room. Irene sighed and tried to ignore whatever it is that's causing such a ruckus but she eventually gave up because her curiosity got the better of her.

 

She slowly got up and padded towards the source of the noise.

 

 "Unnie! You're home!" Joy greeted as soon as Irene entered the maknae's room.

 

Yeri was on her desk, playing games on her computer and Joy was on Yeri's bed, casually scrolling through her phone.

 

"Yah. What are you girls being so loud for?" Irene wanted to appear stern but it just came out as whiny. Her pout gave too much away.

 

"Sorry, unnie." Yeri giggled. "It's all Sooyoung-unnie's fault anyway. She keeps distracting me with her ugly face."

 

"I just wanted you to pick my best angle so I have something to post!" Joy attempted to kick Yeri's chair to no avail. The youngest was just too quick even while immersed in her game.

 

"How the heck am I supposed to do that? There's about 600 pictures of you in the same angle!" Yeri retaliated.

 

"All right, all right." Irene smiled despite of herself. Not a day goes by without these small fights between the two youngest members. "Just keep it down, will you? I'm trying to sleep."

 

"Sure."

"Sorry, unnie."

 

 

Irene figured that she'd just eat since she's up anyways. She was in the middle of preparing ramen when she heard Wendy talking on the phone with someone as she walked through the main door.

 

"Seungwan-ah!" Irene called out.

 

"Hold on, she's calling me." Wendy went over to the kitchen to greet Irene. "Hi, Joohyun-unnie! What are you making?"

 

"Ramen. I got kinda hungry," Irene gestured to Wendy. "Who are you talking to?"

 

"Manager-nim." Wendy replied. "He's gonna call you after."

 

Irene groaned. Great. Another schedule. Even when they're supposed to be resting, work still manages to get in the way.

 

"Okay," Wendy spoke to her phone. "Bye."

 

"So what's it about?" Irene went back to her ramen. "Another shooting? Dance practice? Recording?"

 

"Aish," Wendy rushed over and patted her unnie's head. "Don't you worry your pretty little head about it." She said in her perfect English accent.

 

Irene just shook her head.

 

 

It had been her job, ever since, to worry about their schedule. She was their leader, after all. On top of keeping up with the demands of being an idol, she had additional responsibilities as Red Velvet's unnie. It was on her to watch over her members' well being and that includes gauging whether they could keep up with a hectic schedule. Especially since Wendy was still recovering, it made Irene all the more cautious about pushing their limits.

 

Her mind went back to that horrific event all those months ago and she quickly shook the thought away. It was just too painful.

 

Instead, she focused on Wendy, who was cutting up some fruits, completely oblivious to the thunderstorm that's been brewing in Irene's head.

 

 

Thank God Wendy has such a strong heart.

 

 

Wendy caught the oldest smiling fondly at her and she smirked.

 

"What's this now," Wendy winked. "Why are you checking me out?"

 

"You wish!" Irene was in the act of slapping her friend's arm when her phone rang.

 

"Better luck next time!" Wendy cackled as she left Irene in the kitchen to hang out in the living room.

 

"Good afternoon." Irene greeted her manager.

 

She steeled herself for another bout of never-ending shooting and dance practices. However, the phone call was brief since their manager only informed her about a meeting tomorrow morning which drastically improved her mood.

 

 

 

---

 

The skies were starting to turn dark and the members were gathered around the living room watching a Netflix movie but nobody except Wendy was really watching.

 

Yeri was scrolling through Instagram and Joy was staring at the screen but her eyes had a glassy look on them which indicated that she was on the verge of falling asleep. Irene was planning out chores in her mind, rearranging some plans for her own CFs and the groups' future schedule. 

 

"Hey," Yeri piped up, still not looking up from her phone. "Where's Seulgi-unnie at? It's almost time for dinner."

 

"It's literally a minute after 6." Joy answered. "Already, you're thinking about dinner?"

 

"Unnie," Wendy called. "She hasn't texted you?"

 

"Oh," Irene was snapped out of her reverie. "No, not yet."

 

"That's weird." Joy commented. "Call her then. Maybe she can pick up dinner."

 

"Already, you're thinking about dinner?" Yeri said in a mocking tone. The two proceeded to argue in the background but Wendy was not paying much attention.

 

Her eyes were on Irene, noting the slight crease on the latter's forehead as she stared at her phone. Wendy briefly wondered what's concerning their leader but she figured that Irene was just worried that Seulgi is not yet home. She turned back to the movie.

 

Meanwhile, Irene has been staring at her phone as Seulgi's number flashed on her dial screen.

 

 

They haven't spoken to each other much since that night.. 

 

 

In fact, Irene hasn't called or texted Seulgi outside their group chat with the other members. She hadn't even been able to look Seulgi directly in the eye unless it was absolutely necessary for work.

 

Seeing Seulgi's name on her phone triggered a wave of longing that Irene has been trying hard to bury deep down inside. 

 

She missed Seulgi so much. 

 

But she knew it was her fault why they drifted apart. 

 

 

Irene also knew that it was for their own good. 

 

 

 

She just hoped Seulgi understood that.