Twenty Nine

Don't make my mind all scrambled up

 

 

“I take it things are going well between you and Seulgi?” Wendy asked after she sipped her drink. They were sitting at a secluded area of their favorite café.

 

Irene asked Wendy several hours ago if she wanted to have tea, which really is code for: I really want to talk to you about what’s happening between me and Seulgi.

 

“Yes,” Irene nodded. “Things are well.”

 

“So are you,” Wendy shrugged. “Like, together now?”

 

Irene stared at her oolong tea. Are they?

 

On the outside, when they were practicing, or recording, or doing photoshoots, everything is the same. Save for the few lingering fingers and intense staring, things between Irene and Seulgi were nothing out of the ordinary.

 

Even in the dorm, whenever the five of them would eat and hang out, Wendy would lightly tease them about their ‘nightly visits’ which opened the door to a lot of teasing from Joy and Yeri. Seulgi was more affected especially when Joy and Yeri would ask a lot of inappropriate questions and make double entendres. Even Irene laughed a couple of times when Seulgi’s face got red after a very risqué inquiry from Joy. Aside from that, things were still the same as Irene and Seulgi agreed to never show too much displays of affection whenever they were with their members.

 

When it’s just the two of them, however.. Everything is definitely not the same. While they never really did anything more than kissing, Irene and Seulgi are, by just about every definition, a couple.

 

Still, they never talked about their relationship status, which Irene found laughable, because previously, all they did was talk and talk and it got them nowhere. Now that they were not talking, at least not about this, everything was smooth sailing.

 

“I really don’t know, Seungwan-ah.” Irene admitted. “But I’m happy with where we’re at.”

 

“And how long do you think that will last?”

 

Irene smiled. This was what she liked about Wendy when it comes to relationship talks: no beating around the bush. She would head on straight to the point.

 

“I don’t know.” Irene said again. “And I know this isn’t ideal.” She added because Wendy was about to open .

 

“I just..” Irene bit her lip. “I’m finally letting go and being happy. And it feels so good, Wan.”

 

“I’m sure it does.” Wendy smirked before taking another sip of her tea.

 

“Yah, Sooyoung and Yerim are rubbing off on you.” Irene rolled her eyes good-naturedly.

 

Wendy laughed. “You set it up, unnie! Anyway, what’s your plan?”

 

“What do you think I should do?” Irene asked as she stirred her drink.

 

“I definitely think you should talk about it.” Wendy answered. “Because you can’t expect this setup of yours to go on smoothly forever.”

 

“But.. everything we’ve talked about,” Irene wrung her hands. “Why we can’t be together, it’s all still true. It’s still there. Nothing has changed.”

 

“Well, you have.” Wendy gestured to her.

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She looked at her friend quizzically.

 

“Unnie, you were so scared of the consequences that you shut the door on you and Seulgi even before she had her hand on the doorknob.” Wendy explained patiently. “So, what’s different this time?”

 

Irene took a moment to think about it. “Well, I’m still scared.”

 

Wendy nodded. “As you should.”

 

“I still feel lots of pressure.” Irene noted.

 

“Totally understandable.” Wendy smiled. “So now, what’s making you face this head on?”

 

“I don’t know.”

“Try to think about it.”

 

“Maybe it’s because..” Irene sighed. “I love her.”

 

“Finally!” Wendy laughed again. “Yeah, you do.”

 

“But, Seungwan—”

 

“Think about it this way, unnie.” Wendy leaned in. “You are finally ready to fight for your love. You’re ready to face everything head on because you know that everything will be okay as long as you and Seulgi have each other.”

 

“It’s just hard, I guess.” Irene shrugged. “I spent all these years always trying to do what’s best for everyone, that I guess I forgot to choose myself.. I forgot to do what’s best for me.”

 

Wendy held her hand. “And we will always be grateful for that, unnie. You know that we’re always here for you, right? Now, enough with the sacrifices. This time, let your heart take over and choose what would make you happy.”

 

“Seulgi makes me happy.” Irene smiled.

 

“Yeah, I know.” Wendy smiled back.

 

They sit in silence for a moment.

 

“But..” Irene suddenly said. “What would happen in the future? If this doesn’t work out? If the weight of keeping it a secret got to us?”

 

Wendy finished the last of her tea. “I don’t know, Joohyun-unnie. We’ll schedule another tea date when you cross that bridge.”

 

They both laughed. “Love you, Seungwan-ah. Thank you.”

 

“I’m here for you always. Love you too.”

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

“So, now that you’re a couple, will you still call Joohyun-unnie, ‘unnie’?” Yeri asked.

 

Irene and Wendy were off to a secret date somewhere and the three spent all day together.

 

“We’re not a couple, Yerim-ah.” Seulgi answered.

 

“Riiiight.” Joy said sarcastically. “Let’s all pretend you haven’t been jumping each other on a nightly basis.”

 

Yeri laughed and Seulgi shook her head. “We’re not, don’t be gross.”

 

“Well, answer the question.” Yeri prompted. “Is it still ‘Joohyun-unnie’?"

 

“I guess.” Seulgi shrugged. “I’ve been calling her ‘unnie’ for ten years, it would be weird if I suddenly stopped.”

 

“You know what would be better?” Joy laughed. “If you can call her yours.”

 

“Or ‘baby’.” “Or ‘love’.”

 

“You brats are so nosy about my love life.” Seulgi huffed. “I’m starting to think it’s dry season for yours.”

 

“I’m busy being booked and beautiful,” Joy tossed her hair. “So I don’t really have time for that.”

 

“Still stingy about the guy who ghosted you, huh?” Seulgi laughed.

 

“I’m not, he can choke.”

 

“What about you, Yerim-ah?” Seulgi nudged their maknae.

 

“Well, I’m in a relationship with Ariana Grande, so I got that going for me.” Yeri said nonchalantly.

 

“Seriously, Yerim-ah.” Joy laughed and she lightly slapped Yeri’s thigh. “Just how many more thirst traps will you post on Instagram?”

 

“As many as it takes.”

 

They all laughed and the door swung open. Irene and Wendy walked inside, hands full with lattes and bread.

 

“What are you laughing about?” Wendy said as she sat down and handed drinks to the others.

 

“We’re not telling.” Seulgi answered. “Where have you been?”

 

“Relax, Seulgi. You can have Joohyun-unnie all to yourself later.” Wendy laughed.

 

“I know that.” Seulgi mumbled.

 

 

---

 

 

“Seulgi-yah.”

 

“Yes, Joohyun?”

 

“I—” Then Irene stared at Seulgi. “Joohyun?”

 

Seulgi sheepishly smiled. “I’m just testing out something. Is it weird?”

 

Irene shook her head. “No, it’s alright.”

 

“What’s up?” Seulgi propped her elbows and turned to face Irene.

 

“Can we.. can we talk?”

 

“Oh.” Seulgi’s eyes widened. “About us?”

 

“Yes.” Irene nervously replied. “And let’s not.. cuddle or kiss. I don’t want to be distracted.”

 

“Okay.”