Thirty

Don't make my mind all scrambled up

 

“So..” Seulgi shifted uncomfortably. “Where do we start?”

 

They were both lying on their backs in Seulgi’s bed, a pillow placed between them. Seulgi stared up at the ceiling and Irene did the same.

 

“I.. I don’t know.” Irene crossed her arms. “Where do you think we should start?”

 

“Uhm,” Seulgi was uncomfortable with taking the lead but she figured she shouldn’t keep entrusting the responsibility to Irene. “Okay, do you think we’re a couple?”

 

“I think we’re..” Irene grasped for words. “Less than that, but more than friends.”

 

“Do you want us to be a couple?” Seulgi pushed on.

 

“Do you?”

“I asked you first.”

 

Irene giggled. “Of course I do, Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi’s heart skipped a beat. “I do too. But..”

 

“I know.” Irene sighed. “But it’s hard.”

 

“Yes, I know we still shouldn’t.” Seulgi nodded. “I know the consequences. It didn’t suddenly disappear. I know it’s still real.”

 

Irene smiled because that’s what she told Wendy earlier. Their minds were so in sync and she felt herself relax a little.

 

“Seulgi-yah, if I told you I’m ready to try and make this work..” Irene started. “Would you do the same?”

 

“Well, it depends.”

 

Irene was surprised. She assumed that Seulgi would be ecstatic about what she said. “On what?”

 

“A lot of factors. Should we let the members know?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Of course.” Irene answered without hesitation.

 

“How about the company?”

“What do you think?”

 

“I don’t want them to know.” Seulgi answered. “At least, not right now.”

 

“Okay.” Irene nodded. “What about our families and friends?”

 

“No. How will we go out? Like on dates and stuff.” Seulgi continued.

 

“Discreetly? Maybe we could ask the others to join, if it won’t be too much of a hassle?”

 

“So, basically, no romantic dates?” Seulgi laughed.

 

“We can have those at home.” Irene answered.

 

“Will you be able to keep your hands off me in public?” Seulgi’s tone was teasing but it was still a very valid question.

 

“I’ll try.” Irene chuckled. “You better behave as well.”

 

“Okay. And if we fight?”

 

“We take it outside the group. Red Velvet comes first.” Irene said firmly.

 

“Understood.” Seulgi nodded. “And we’re not allowed to date anyone else?”

 

“Why, do you want anyone else?” Irene’s eyebrow quirked up.

 

“I only want you.”

 

The pillow was suddenly gone because Seulgi picked it up and threw it across the room.

 

“So, we’re really doing this?” Irene turned to her side and Seulgi did the same so now they were facing each other.

 

“Yes. Are you sure?” Seulgi stared at her.

 

“Yes.” Irene looked back at her cat-like eyes. “I’m sure about you.”

 

“Okay.” Their faces were mere inches apart. “What changed, then?”

 

Irene took a deep breath. “I’m absolutely in love with you, Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi smiled. “I’m hopelessly in love with you, Joohyun.”

 

They stared at each other for several seconds.

 

Irene marveled at how in sync they were because she knew that the expression in Seulgi’s face mirrored her own. Seulgi’s eyes were hooded and smoldering and her lips were slightly parted. They both knew what they wanted but sill, they made no move and no words came out of their mouths, opting to convey their thoughts through their eyes.

 

Irene knew that once they cross this bridge, everything will officially change. This is a level of intimacy that they still haven’t explored so it would be a point of no return once they close the distance. Seulgi knew that once they start kissing, she wouldn’t be able to keep her hands to herself and Irene knew that she wouldn’t be able to stop her.

 

And, as they reached this conclusion without even uttering a single word, they locked eyes once more and their minds were so in sync that they both thought of two words before their lips met: I’m ready.

 

 

 

 

 

Several hours later, they were cuddling under the warmth of the thick blanket and Seulgi softly brushed Irene’s hair as they slowly tried to drift off to sleep.

 

“I can’t believe I get to call you my girlfriend.” Seulgi murmured with her eyes closed.

 

“That is such a weird word.” Irene hummed against her chest.

 

“Are you not my girlfriend?” Seulgi chuckled.

 

“I am, but it’s just weird coming from you.” Irene’s breathing was becoming more labored and Seulgi guessed that she was on the verge of falling asleep.

 

“Well, what do you call me then?” Seulgi asked.

 

“My Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi laughed. “Fine. Then I’ll call you my Joohyun.”

 

“That’s better.” Irene yawned.

 

“I love you, my Joohyun.” Seulgi placed a soft kiss on top of Irene’s head.

 

“I love you, my Seulgi.” Irene whispered before they fell into a deep slumber.

 

 

---

 

Are you still not done?

 

Seulgi smiled stupidly as she read the text. Irene is absolutely adorable when she’s clingy and Seulgi sometimes doesn’t want to text back immediately but she fails every time.

 

I’m done. Just going to shower then I’ll come home to you.

 

Seulgi showered as quickly as she could and within 5 minutes, she was already back on her phone to tell the driver to come pick her up but not before reading another text from Irene.

 

You should’ve just showered here. With me.

 

Seulgi wanted to kick herself for the missed opportunity. Well, there’s always next time.

 

As soon as Seulgi got home, all she wanted to do was pick Irene up and carry her over to the bedroom but since everyone was at home and they were just about to have dinner, Seulgi settled on a wide smile at the small girl across the room.

 

“What was the point of working out when you’re just going to stuff your face with food afterwards?” Yeri teased.

 

“Shut up, I’m carbo loading, okay?” Seulgi answered.

 

“Seulgi, don’t talk when you’re chewing.” Irene scolded.

 

 

 

 

Hours later, when they were both alone in Seulgi’s room, Irene asked her: “You know, Yerim is right. What was the point of leaving me all alone to work out with a personal trainer if you’re just going to eat a lot as soon as you got home? Don’t you have enough exercise with what we’ve been doing?”

 

Seulgi laughed. “Would you be my personal trainer, then?”

 

Irene pouted. “I could be.”

 

Seulgi smiled and pulled her in for a kiss.

 

I could get used to this.