Thirty Three

Don't make my mind all scrambled up

 

 

 

“Are you mad?” Seulgi tentatively walked over to where Irene was sitting.

 

“No, I’m not mad.” She curtly replied.

 

“But I feel like you’re mad.” Seulgi sat down to face Irene.

 

Irene sighed. “I don’t know, Seulgi, I guess I’m just not in the mood.”

 

“Is it because I forgot to wash the dishes?” Seulgi asked.

 

“No.”

“Is it because I forgot to update you on my schedule?”

 

“Seulgi, I told you I’m not mad.” Irene answered.

 

“Is it because I had coffee with Naeun?” Seulgi said in a small voice.

 

Irene’s eyes fluttered impatiently.

 

“You’re mad because of that?” Seulgi scoffed. “It’s just coffee.”

 

Irene rounded on her girlfriend with a glare. “Look, Seulgi. I’ve told you several times now. I am not mad.”

 

“But you’ve been so distant..” Seulgi’s brow furrowed. “And I know you do that eye thing when you’re upset so just tell me. Spit it out.”

 

Irene said nothing.

 

“Well?” Seulgi prompted. “It’s because of Naeun, isn’t it?”

 

“No. It's not that. I'm not mad. How many times do I have to say it?” Irene stood up. “Let's just drop it. I’m going out to eat something.”

 

“Unnie—”

 

“I told you, let’s just drop it.” Irene cut her off and walked away before Seulgi could say another word.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene pouted as she sipped on her drink. Of course, she was mad. Why would Seulgi think it’s okay to meet up with an ex-girlfriend and not tell her about it? And Irene had to hear about it from Yeri? On top of that, when Irene had confronted Seulgi about it, the latter had just shrugged and said “Oh yeah, we bumped into each other, no big deal.”

 

No big deal.

 

Irene sighed. She wasn’t really the jealous type and she most certainly didn’t feel this upset in the past when Seulgi met with her past lovers. Irene didn’t even know if she was allowed to be jealous.

 

Does she have a right to be mad?

 

 

---

 

 

"Unnie, have you two been fighting?"

 

Irene tossed in her bed and she pressed her phone closer to her ear. "Did Seulgi say something?"

 

"No, she didn't say anything." Wendy replied. "I just sensed that you were."

 

"How?" Irene asked incredulously.

 

"She wasn't as lively with her Christmas greetings as usual." Wendy replied.

 

"Seungwan-ah, you're so observant." Irene chuckled. "I wish Seulgi was the same."

 

"So you two are fighting!" Wendy made a tutting sound. "Unnie, it's your first Christmas as a couple, you shouldn't fight."

 

"We're not fighting." Irene sighed. "It's just that.. I don't know, Seungwan. I'm upset." She paused, wondering if she should involve Wendy with her relationship problems. 

 

"It's okay, unnie. You can tell me."

 

Irene smiled. "Seungwannie, it's like you're reading my mind."

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

"What is this?" Seulgi was surprised as soon as she picked up Yeri's call. "What is happening?"

 

"It's a video call, unnie." Yeri rolled her eyes. "You know, when you call someone.. with video?"

 

"I know that, Yerimie." Seulgi laughed. "But why are you here too, Sooyoung-ah?"

 

"Reinforcements." Joy simply answered. "I'm here to knock some sense into you."

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

Yeri looked at Seulgi sternly. "We know you're not in great terms with Joohyun-unnie."

 

"Oh." Seulgi suddenly became very rigid. "No, no, we're fineー"

 

"You're a bad liar." Joy cut her off.

 

"Okay, fine, we're fighting." Seulgi sighed. "I think. But.. you don't have to worry about it, all right? We'll keep it within ourselves."

 

"No, that's exactly why we're worried." Yeri stretched as she plopped back down to her bed. "I feel like you're walking on eggshells with your relationship when it comes to the group."

 

"We're not.." But Seulgi trailed off as soon as she saw Joy's murderous glare.

 

"Look, it's fine, unnie." Joy said in a softer voice and Seulgi visibly relaxed. "Couples fight. It's a normal thing. Yerim-ah and I actually had a bet about this."

 

"Ah, dang it." Yeri smacked herself on the head. "I forgot about that!"

 

"Huh? Wait, what bet?" Seulgi pouted.

 

"That the first thing you and Joohyun-unnie would fight about is related to some dumb thing you did." Joy laughed. "And I won!"

 

"Yah! You don't even know what we're fighting about!" Seulgi retaliated.

 

"Oh, we know what it's about." Yeri rolled her eyes. "It's because you had a date with Naeun."

 

"No, that's not it." Seulgi shook her head. "Well, I don't know what it is, honestly.. she just suddenly became distant one day and she hasn't been replying to me that much.. And she says she just doesn't feel like talking.." Seulgi trailed off. Then her eyes widened. "Oh no, is that why Joohyun-unnie was upset? Because she was jealous?"

 

Seulgi got even more confused when Yeri started laughing as Joy groaned.

 

"So I guess I won that bet!" Yeri cackled.

 

As soon as Seulgi opened , Joy suddenly piped up. "Yeri bet me that you didn't know Joohyun-unnie was jealous."

 

"Because she told me it's not that!" Seulgi replied. "And Yerim-ah, you didn't win. I asked her if she was jealous, but she insisted she wasn't mad about it."

 

"Oh, Seulgi-unnie." Joy shook her head slowly. "Of course, she was jealous. Naeun is an ex-girlfriend. Who you dumped recently."

 

"Yes, and you didn't even tell her that you guys met up." Yeri added.

 

"Yes, because we just bumped into each other." Seulgi explained. "It wasn't like I planned it or something. Just two old friends, catching up. It's no big deal."

 

Joy and Yeri just shook their heads.

 

"Seulgi-unnie, you've known her the longest." Yeri said in a reprimanding tone. "You should know how she is when it comes to relationships."

 

 "Ah, well.." Seulgi scratched her ear. "We don't really talk about her love life that much.. She always went to Seungwan when it comes to that stuff.."

 

"Right, right." Joy nodded. "Of course she didn't tell you about her love life. Forgot about the in-love-with-you-for-10-years thing, totally understandable."

 

"She wasn't in love with me for 10 years!" Seulgi's cheeks were flushed with pink.

 

"Riiiight." The maknaes said in unison.

 

"Anyway, you have to make it right." Yeri said seriously. "Don't welcome the new year without making up, Seulgi-unnie."

 

"That's right." Joy nodded enthusiastically. "Talk to her and work things out."

 

"I will, I will." Seulgi nodded. "Thank you. My, isn't it weird? Me taking relationship advice from you brats?"

 

"As you should." They both replied. 

 

"Yah!"

 

 

 

---

 

 

"Hi." Irene noticed that Seulgi's voice through the phone was a bit higher than normal. 

 

"Hi." Irene replied. "You're nervous."

 

"How did you know?"

"Just by the sound of your voice."

 

Seulgi laughed. "I am. I am nervous. Joohyun-unnie .. are we okay?" 

 

Irene sighed. "I don't know."

 

"Well, let me just say this. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have met up with Naeun. I know you said you weren't jealous but I should've been more attentive to your feelings. I'm not going to see her ever again. I'm sorry, my Joohyun." 

 

"No, no, please don't say that you won't meet up with her again." Irene replied. "It's okay if you do. But you're right. I was jealous. And I don't know how to feel about that. I don't know if I have a right to be upset about you meeting up with your ex-girlfriend.. I guess I just don't know where we stand."

 

"We're together now." Seulgi calmly replied. "Of course, you can be jealous. And upset. But I'm telling you, you don't have to be. I'm yours."

 

 

Irene blushed. "Is that right?" 

 

"Of course." She could feel Seulgi's smile through the phone. "As long as you promise to be mine. Well, even if you don't, I'm still yours."

 

"But it's so petty." Irene sighed again. "It's embarrassing." 

 

"You can be petty." Seulgi laughed. "And you can tell me if I've done something to make you feel upset. I will do the same. Because we're in a relationship now. We should be more open with each other."

 

"I know, I know." Irene replied. "It's just hard, I guess? I'm so used to keeping everything inside."

 

"I know, the kids even had to knock some sense into me before I knew for sure why you were upset."

 

Seulgi became quiet for several seconds.

 

"It's strange; as your best friend, I know you like the back of my hand, Joohyun. But as your girlfriend, I feel like I'm plunging headfirst into the unknown."

 

"I feel the same way, Seulgi. I guess this is just something that we need to take step by step." Irene stared at the ceiling. 

 

"But it's good, right?" Seulgi asked. "We've known each other for a long time now, so I figured we'd run out of new things to learn about each other eventually."

 

"Yes, exactly." Irene nodded. "I guess it's nice to know that there are things about you that I have yet to discover."

 

"So, are we okay?" Seulgi tentatively asked. 

 

"Yes, we're okay. I'm sorry, Seulgi-yah." Irene said in a small voice. 

 

"Don't pout, it's making me miss you more."

 

Irene laughed. "How did you even know I was pouting?" 

 

"Because I know you well." Seulgi answered. "I'm fluent in Bae Joohyun." 

 

"And I'm fluent in Kang Seulgi." Irene giggled.

 

"I gotta go. Let's talk later, okay? I'll call you, and we'll celebrate the New Year together." Seulgi said softly. 

 

"Okay. I love you." Irene whispered. "Happy New Year!" 

 

"Happy New Year, my love." Seulgi whispered back.