CHAPTER 6: OF EYE CONTACTS AND STOLEN GLANCES.

I FOUND YOU

 

Taeyang's POV:

It's been a week since I first met her and I haven't gotten her smile out of my head. For some weird reason I found myself going to the building everyday with the hopes of running into her and to no avail, I haven't seen any signs of her--not even her shadow or the echo of her laugh. I got a chance to sneak around the creative department today to look for her…of course I had to pretend like I was looking for some files I needed. I passed by her desk and saw her laptop opened, her sketchbook filled with doodles and notes and a 3 empty cups of coffee. 

"She's on the studio with Teddy, do you need anything?" her secretary asked with a polite smile.

"Ani. I just happened to pass by. Thank you though!" I smiled and slowly walked away. Damn, I miss seeing her around. I miss everything about her. I must be going crazy.

On my way to the recording studio I heard cooing and Daesung's contagious laugh and to my curiosity I rushed to check out what was happening inside. She was there sitting on Teddy hyung's usual spot holding her iPad discussing something with Teddy hyung and the rest of our members. She looks so different from how I met her-long wavy hair down, eyeglasses, plain v neck shirt, cardigan, shorts and doc martens. How can a simple outfit look so attractive? I also noticed that she wasn't wearing any makeup, she looked younger and prettier-just the way I like it. She was apparently showing everyone her sketches and pegs for the music video, no bias intended I would have to say that I and the others were impressed. She wasn't just pure talk, she really does have a lot of great ideas and knowledge about design.

I managed to stand behind her and tapped her shoulders to say hello, she gave me her signature smile and waved at me. I don't know what it was but she's different from the way we were that night, she seems to be aloof and friendly at the same time. I watched her mock up concept for our video, it was complete with our song in the background and the transitions of the scene's background and design. This concept was inspired by the movie Tron, it was very futuristic, simple, yet full of swag. Hyunsuk hyung approved of this already and is willing to put down money for this video. It was after all our comeback after a year's hiatus and full scheduled tours. Her presentation ended and we all clapped and became ecstatic with the idea. Teddy hyung motioned his knuckles to Jessie motioning a knuckle bump and so they did. 

"For someone who bugged me for English translation of the lyrics, you really did a great job Jess! This girl's got swag yo'" hyung high fived with her and she smiled in embarrassment. Jiyong and the boys looked at me with a mocking grin as Jessie stood up.

"Well, gotta go and give this out to the video team to polish. Good to hear you guys liked it!" She waved and bowed to say goodbye and started walking out of the room when Jiyong shouted "YONGBAE!!" and everyone silently burst into laughter "Your turn to record man." He raised his brows and laughed. Jessie was taken aback and got a bit weirded out by what just happened and continued walking out of the room.

I glared at everyone before walking to the recording booth "YOU REALLY HAD TO?!" I shouted with a pissed off smile.

Jessie's POV:

That was awkward. 

I tried my best to be so discreet whenever I come to work, the day after the party I saw Taeyang and the guys in the lobby and delayed my entrance to avoid running into him or any of them. I was so ashamed of how I somewhat behaved in the party and I didn't know how to act. A week passed with only me seeing Hyunsuk sajangnim, Teddy oppa, my sister Jane, Jiyong, Dara, and the rest of the creative department. I was so busy finalizing the drawings and mock ups for the set of the MV that I barely thought of Taeyang, nor his smile.

Flashback 4 hours ago:

"I'm starting to think you're avoiding someone." Jiyong smirked when he ran into me in the lobby.

"Hello to you too! Avoding who? You weird, Jiyong." I quirkily smiled and shook my head.

"Listen, if you're ashamed about last week's party you shouldn't be. Don't even deny it. You're avoiding Yongbae and as much as possible everyone who saw you two together!" He pointed out as we walked in together the elevator.

"Don't avoid him, he's been looking all over for you." He added and pressed the 4th floor where my office and the recording studio is located.

The elevator door opened and as we got out I smiled and waved at him, Jiyong called back "Jessie, no pressure. Just let it be." He said and winked as he walked towards the studio.

Oh the story of my life. Am I that easy to figure out? If Jiyong knows, everyone probably knows by now! To my defense, I wasn't avoiding him I was just being careful to cause any issue around the building and the company. I was the new girl and having an issue would be last of my priorities. Being young, being foreign, and being new in this industry took a lot of guts for me to get into this job and I have to prove myself.

I walked in the Creative Department office and got in my cubicle when I saw my design proposals at the desk--President Yang reviewed, commented, and approved it. I sighed in relief and smiled, I really wanted to pat myself at the back. I had a hard time working on this concept, it took me 3 revisions and sleepless nights and occasional phone calls to Teddy to be able to understand what the song really meant and how I should come up with a concept. And seeing this pile of folders approved is such a huge thing for me.

I noticed everyone sneakingly peep at me to see how I will react and I stood up holding the folder and silently screamed: OH MY JESUS!!!! Everyone raised their hands and clapped. It was a team effort-these people who just knew me for a week seemed like family to me. They helped me out in translating my visual ideas to reality and pitched in a lot of comments, these guys have been in the company for a while and when I got in, I told myself that I will be very transparent with them and never look back on their ideas. I got up and walked towards Junghyun, one of the visual artists and video editors and asked him to make a mock video with all our ideas in there so I can present it to the boys later. We sat up and I watched how quick he did his job, oh the perks of having someone so efficient is such a relief! 

After 3 cups of coffee and a bag of Lays, Jung gave me the finished product and to my delight I thanked him and prepared to go and visit the boys at the recording studio. Again Jiyong's last words rang into my head "Let it be". What made him say this all of a sudden? I silently thought as I put on my cardigan and prepared to go to the studio, this is gonna be the first time in a week where I will see him again. Keep calm an carry on, Jessie. I knocked before opening the door to peep if they were okay to speak with, Teddy saw me and smiled "You finally have it, huh?" as he raised his hands making me come in and giving his chair to me.

"Uhm, yeah I guess. I wanted you guys to see it and tell me what you think of it." I sat down silently looked around and didn't see Taeyang around.

"Taeyang went out to get something for a while." Jiyong caught me from where he was sitting and laughed. Everyone gave out this weird grin to me and started mumbling korean words that I don't understand.

"Ya! English please." I pretended to be offended and laughed at the end "Anyway, here's what we have so far." I motioned my tablet towards the center for everyone to see and pressed play. Towards the pre chorus everyone was cooing and getting excited imagining how it would look if they were actually the ones doing it already. I felt relieved and humbled at the same time. I heard the door open and suddenly felt my heart beating fast as I felt someone hold my shoulders. I looked up slowly to see if it was him and smiled. I waved at him and he gave me the cutest smile/smirk that I have ever seen. I melt. I occasionally found him looking at me, still holding my shoulders. When the video stopped everyone was clapping and smiling and Teddy gave me a high five. I found the urge to stand up and give him a high five as well and grab my tablet.

When I was about to leave Jiyong trying so hard to play cupid yelled out Taeyang's name making him stand up in front of me as we almost bumped into each other. Awkward. He looked at me and smiled to say "You go first" and motioned me to the door. I looked back and waved at everyone before I left the room and heard claps and "Yiiiiiii" all over the room. I found myself smiling like woah. What is going on with me…

Realtime:

Work hours were over for the day when everyone decided to grab a meal together, grabbed my phone to check on Jane and told me she's still on a meeting and other duties so she couldn't join. I packed up my things and joined the group and walked out of the department altogether when we ran into Bigbang, Teddy, and Kush who seemed like they were on their way out as well. We greeted each other and waited for the elevator. 

"Where you guys off to?!" Seungri playfully asked and we replied in chorus "Dinner!" and laughed at the awkward tone.

"Let's go together! We were going to grab ours too!" Daesung added. 

Elevator opened and I automatically said "You guys go ahead, I'll go with Junghyun and the rest" I smiled and asked half of my team go with Bigbang. "Jessie, go with us!" Teddy grabbed my hands and I was left with no choice but to go with them. Seungri and Daesung sang on the way down giving out a funny vibe and I saw Taeyang looking at me and eventually avoided my gaze when he noticed that I was about to look. We're like in highschool all over again. The feeling of having someone look at you from afar and vice versa was so funny and weird at the same time. We all stayed at the lobby as we waited for the rest to go down.

"We're walking, right? I'll bring my stuff in the car first!" I suggested and got the car keys from my bag and walked towards the parking. I felt someone follow me and I looked back to see Junghyun. I sighed in relief. "Hey you! Why are you following me?" I playfully asked. Jung was one of the few people in our department who I can speak with comfortably since he grew up in the States and basically spoke English. We've also spent late nights together editing and sketching our video concepts so in my first week of work we pretty much formed a friendship. Jung smiled and said "Jane asked me to look out for you."

I placed my backpack in the car laughing and transferred my wallet and camera in my tote bag and grabbed it before locking the doors. "What are you, my baby sitter now?" I jokingly said nudging his elbows. He placed his arms over my shoulders and got shocked by that move as we walked towards the lobby where everyone was. Taeyang saw us. I was 100% sure he saw us as he was looking over the door to see Jung take off his arms around me and open the glass door for me. I smiled and thanked him as we walked together back to the group.

"So, now that everyone's here…" Teddy being the eldest in the group spoke "who wants to go for western?!" As we all raised our hands Teddy nodded and walked ahead with Kush and Bigbang "Arasso, kaja!"

There was a pasta place near our building and I heard that everyone practically go there for its good menu. This is my first time eating with the whole team and our artists, apparently this wasn't a new thing around YG. It really is like a family which was probably one of the great reasons why I didn't have a hard time adjusting despite the occasional language barrier. We got in the restaurant and got our tables. I sat with Teddy, Jung, Kush, and Jiyong as the rest of the Bigbang members stayed in the table beside us as well as the rest of the team. While waiting for our food, Teddy discussed the proposed timetable of the MV shoot, the budget, down to every detail that has to be discussed to have a synchronized production. One in a while I would meet gazes with Taeyang and break it off with an awkward smile. We ate, laughed, shared weird stories together, sometimes I would feel left out because most were spoken in Korean but Jung would often whisper to me what it was about and I would eventually get the jist of the stories and laugh as well.

"Ya, ya. Shin Junghyun, what's all this 'I'll be your everything' vibe coming out?" Teddy teased raising his brows pointing his fingers at us and everyone except Taeyang smiled and observed us. I saw Jiyong check out Taeyang's expression.

"Hyung, can't a guy be accommodating to his new boss?!" Jiyong broke the dead air and high fived Jung. Everyone laughed and started talking again. At the end of the 2 hour dinner our table got empty bit by bit, I was left with Jiyong, Taeyang, Teddy, Jung, and Kush. I felt exhausted and wanted to go home so I eventually gathered the guts to say goodbye to everyone.

"Hey will you be okay walking back to the building?! Are you driving home?" Teddy asked.

"Yeah I'm good! And yes to driving home!!" I raised my hands motioning the excitement of the thought of driving on a foreign country and everyone laughed. "Aigoo look at this girl." Teddy stood up and hugged me to say goodbye. I waved at everyone, got my bag, put on my cardigan and walked out of the restaurant. Phew. That wasn't as bad as I thought, Taeyang and everyone was so kind and friendly and nothing about the party was brought up.  I heard someone running behind me "Hey, Jess wait up!" I looked behind me to see Taeyang panting.

"Hey, don't run! What's up Tae?" I asked comfortably. "I'll walk you to your car." He held my arms as we crossed the street. When he saw a pile of girls outside the building he took his hands off my arm and wore his hood and tuck his hands in his pocket. I decided to walk faster in order to go in front of him to make it look like we weren't together. The girls noticed him and squealed. "Ommo!! Yongbae oppa!!" He smiled and bowed down to them, he even allowed a photo taken with him when the guards came to rescue and block off the way. I reached my car, still hearing the girls squealing his name. I went in, started the engine and then all of a sudden he goes in the passengers seat, reclined the chair, faced me and smiled "How's your driving skills?" I laughed and replied "Depends. You judge." I the GPS and drove off passing by the squealing girls.

Minutes later he fixed the seat and sat straight. I got weirded out of the fact that he sneaked in my car, was it his way of escaping? or did he do this intentionally? The GPS is my best friend. I haven't familiarized myself yet with the roads and routes so having this baby around keeps me safe and sound! 

"So when did you learn how to drive here?" Taeyang broke the silence. "Hmm, I have an international driver's license. But since I wasn't familiar of the city I had Jane teach me and show me around during my first 2 weeks. I got by quickly so now..I can pretty much go around." I smiled looking at the road. "Oh and this is my car. My parents had it shipped to save me from getting another one and to keep a little reminder of Manila" I continued.

He was looking at me the whole time. "Nice! So this came along with the car?" He was laughing at the charm hanging in my rearview mirror: It's funny photos of me and my sisters compiled. I nodded and touched it "Apparently you're not the only one who noticed and laughed at this. But this is my favorite!" I added.

"You have beautiful sisters." He smiled as I added "Thanks!" he paused for a while and continued "You're beautiful yourself." And smiled.

I had nothing to say but to smile back. "Uhm, Tae I'm going home..Where are you off to so i can drop you off? Just guide me though! Haha" I asked.

"I'm taking you home." He smiled "Don't worry the van will pick me up from there. I just wanted to see you come home safely." He added.

"You didn't have to! I've been coming home safely for the past 5 days" I proudly said with a smile and I saw him laugh and clap his hands. The car ride composed of weird glances, tons of smiles, occasional eye contacts, and stories of how our week went and how wast time flies by and we haven't noticed it.

We reached my building's parking lot and I turned off the engine. He got off and opened my door. "Thank you!" I said. "You really didn't have to go all the way here, but thank you" I continued with a smile. I opened the back of my car to get my bags and he helped me grab them.

"You brought your house?!" He jokingly said while carrying my heavy backpack.

"No, I just cram pack. I pack unnecessary stuff and realize it when I left already" I scratched my head as a sign of embarrassment. "Uhm, I can take it from here. Isn't that your van?" I pointed out on the familiar black trailer van and smiled at him "Thank you again!"

"Oh yeah, that's mine. Hmm, no problem! Are you sure you can carry that?" He pointed at my backpack as I nodded and smiled. "Well then, I'll head back now." I smiled and waved at him and started walking towards my apartment's entrance lobby when I heard him running again towards my direction. He blocked my way panting while saying "Were you avoiding me?" I saw his curious and hopeful gaze as I formulated my answer.

I tapped his arm saying "Pabo, why did you run just to say that! Hahaha. If it makes you feel better..No I wasn't." Liar. I thought to myself. I smiled "You went here just to make sure didn't you?" I added.

"Yeah, kinda." He said shyly "Uhm, alright I'll really go now. Get in and rest! See you around!" He smiled and watched me come in the building before leaving.