CHAPTER 11: THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

I FOUND YOU

 

Jiyong’s POV:

2 months have passed; we’ve been juggling Korea, Japan, and Asia in between our promotions, guestings, and tours. The beauty about this career is having a lot of support system and people to cheer you on despite how hard it sometimes gets. I can’t wait to have this awaited break! Next week will be Jane nuna’s wedding and we’re flying to Boracay, Philippines to witness it. This is also my chance to catch up with my baby Dara and make up for the lost weeks and months of not seeing each other.

TOP’s POV:

It’s so good to be home! While everyone decided to stay in the dorms to rest, I immediately asked Bom out. Unlike Jiyong and Dara who constantly talked during the 2 months we’ve been away, Bommie and I have been having misunderstandings and petty fights. Sometimes I just want to end it but everytime I try to, I keep seeing myself without her and I didn’t like what I saw. I wanna make the most out of these precious hours with her.

They were filming their latest video and was on their last day. 2ne1, Bigbang, Se7en, Tablo, and the rest of the YG fam is finishing their activities this week and will be taking a 5 day break as we go to Boracay for Jane nuna’s wedding!

“Yoooooboseo??” I heard her cute squealing, ah I missed it.

“I missed you, alien” I said in my most nonchalant tone.

“Ya!!!!! You’re back?! Ommo where are you??” She suddenly had her spirits up and I was watching her jump back and forth as I walked towards her and dropped the call.

“Ommo, Tabi ya?? YA!!!” She threw a fit and pouted and I hugged her from behind

“I’m right here, baby! I missed you” I said not letting go. “Sorry to keep you waiting and for pissing you off for the past 2 months…” I continued.

“Ya, I should be saying sorry. I of all people should understand how busy you are so….peace?!” She let go putting a peace sign and smile up to me and we laughed together.

I greeted everyone on set and supported the girls while filming. I got a text from Yongbae asking if I see Jessie around. I asked her staff where she is and Jung replied “She left 2 days ago for the Philippines to help prepare for the wedding. I heard she’s setting up the whole thing.” I texted the same thing I heard to Yongbae and didn’t get a reply afterwards.

An hour after, the girls were wrapping up and I felt a hand on my shoulder, Jiyong came with flowers for Dara. We all decided to have dinner and catch up as we called Seungri, Daesung, and Yongbae to follow. It’s been a long time since we all went out and we actually didn’t mind since the others are very much supportive of me and Bom, as well as Ji and Dara. We all went out for dinner and decided to buy our gifts for Jane nuna and her family. The girls also bought their swimwear and other stuff for our vacation. This will be fun!

Jessie’s POV:

I was busy juggling my job at YG and preparing for Jane’s wedding. I felt like I was gonna die out of exhaustion! After Bigbang comes 2NE1 so I had the last few months full and had no time for myself or even think about anything else outside work and the wedding. Jane is a bridezilla and having her as a client is the worst thing a stylist/designer/sister could ever have. I laugh everytime I remember how she broke down when she had to jump up and down to wear her wedding dress, it was such a funny and irritating sight: like seeing a toddler cry on the halls of a toy store because she didn’t get the toy she wanted. I was just like that.

After I finished setting up 2ne1’s MV set, I filed for early leave to focus on Jane’s wedding and to have some time off for myself. Gladly, President Yang approved.

When I got home, people swarmed in the airport and Photographers lined up in the entrance. Good job, mother. I shouldn’t have told her I’ll come home; I should have seen this happening. Questions like “How’s life in Korea?”, “Did you talk to Xian already?”, “Have you recovered from the breakup?”, and “Are you planning on reuniting with the band?” came in and I just had to shun everyone away. I completely forgot about these things. I wasn’t expecting this much attention. I just wanted to come home peacefully and my mother couldn’t give me that only request!

A bodyguard got me and airport security ushered me to the van. “Welcome home, baby!!!!” My mother exclaimed like an innocent freak. I sat down, took out my shades and glared at her “REALLY?! This is your way of welcoming me??” I pointed out to the crown outside as our van drove away.

“THAT” she pointed out and continued “wasn’t my doing, young lady. It was your beloved ex boyfriend’s doing!” She explained “Apparently Jane and his parents were still in contact, he knew you were coming, he was interviewed on TV about his new album, a question about you popped up and he tells the whole country that you were coming home and that he would fix things with you.” she rolls her eyes, hugs me and whispered “So, don’t get mad at your innocent mother” at that I felt sorry and I apologized for misunderstanding. I almost forgot the REAL reason why I decided to leave. Almost.

I met Xian in Boracay when I was there for the summer before college. He and I hit if off since then, he was my first love and I really thought that this was going to last forever. We were the unbreakable couple, I was on a band and he was a celebrity singer. I don't know what happened that all of a sudden the sweet 4 years were tainted with his cheating issues, fights, drunk phone calls, and the worst was when he told me he didn't love me anymore in public..I was 22 years old back then and had no plans about my life. I just enjoyed how I lived and how comfortable everything was but all of a sudden, what seemed to be the best thing I had at that time turned out to be the worst. Xian and I broke up, months after he had another girl and I was gently moving on. But I couldn't seem to take everyone's pity and annoying questions making me seem like a desperate heartbroken freak who wanted him back.

I didn't and I was sure of that. I knew I had to change my life and I had to leave to let all this die down. I'm sick and tired of hearing these things all over again and being an open book to everyone. So I did. Fast track 7 months, I'm back in my home country and everyone still wanted the same thing from me...And I honestly didn't like it. If it wasn't for Jane's wedding and my family, I wouldn't really come back here yet. Everything was still fresh and it needs more time to die down. And with all these things going on back in Seoul, I love my life there now. No complications, no unwanted attention, and I was just my own self, the Jessie who designed and lives a quiet life. The Jessie who was slowly trying to figure out who Dong Yongbae is in her life. And non of these things that welcomed me back home made me happy at all. Why can't these people move on the way I did? And why cant this stop making my life miserable?!

Dara’s POV:

I was having dinner with the girls and Bigbang when I decided to check the Philippine gossip portals to see if our arrival leaked only to be surprised with another news.

“OMMO!!!” I exclaimed at what I read and tried to cover my mouth when I realized that everyone in the table was already curiously looking at me.

“Weh?” I saw Yongbae raise his eyebrows.

“Aniyeo. It’s nothing!” Jiyongie grabbed my tablet to check and I saw his eyes furrow down as he scrolls down and reads on.

“Uhm, I don’t understand everything obviously since it’s in Filipino. But the headline and photos say enough.” Jiyong held the tablet out for everyone to see. It was a photo of Jessie returning in the airport and another photo of Xian, a popular actor/singer in the Philippines beside it with the headline “THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY IS BACK.” along with it.

“Ommo! That’s Jessie! Who’s the guy?” Minzy and CL exclaimed.

“Not sure how they’re related but I know this guy is pretty much popular in the Philippines. He’s like the Lee Minho or Jang Gunseuk there.” I compared for them to relate more.

“He’s handsome.” Bom added and everyone looked at her “WHAT?! I was just pointing out the obvious. No need to glare” she pouted and TOP placed his arms around Bom.

“Dara sshi, can you translate the article for us?” TOP curiously added.

I saw Yongbae’s curiousity and jealousy toward the photo and I hesitated to translate it, Ji whispered “Chebal.” And I nodded.

“Well, the article basically talks about Jessie’s comeback after 6 months of deciding to leave the country and put her singing career, good life, and bad breakup behind. It also says that her coming home could be a chance for Andy and Jessie to make up and try to work things out.” I paused and read on and heard the guys around me talk in confusion. I decided to continue.

“Apparently Jessie and this Xian guy dated since highschool. They were together for 4 years and got famous during college. 7 months ago Xian declared in public that he was falling out of love with Jessie on TV. Issues between him and Jessie surfaced and months later Jessie announced her exit in her band and the breakup issue was also brought up. It was said that what XIan really hurt Jessie a lot and made her decide to leave. Months later Jessie left the Philippines.” I ended and saw blank unexplainable faces in front of me.

“YA, why are you guys so affected by it? This was all in the past anyway. The media sometimes exaggerate things and twist stories for the benefit of publicity. You all have to relax and let’s just wait for Jessie to at least explain this thing to us.” I said.

“Ya, Dara nuna’s right. Let’s not jump into conclusions yet until we get another side of the story.” Seungri added sounding like an adult, which made everyone burst into laughter except for Yongbae. He acted all so serious afterwards.

When everyone separated and I was left with Jiyong in his car I didn’t hesitate to kiss and hug him and express my excitement of being with him and seeing him after a long time. Suddenly all my stress just went away and it feels like everything’s easier with Jiyong being around. We held hands as he drove to bring me home.

“Babe, I’m worried for Yongbae.” He suddenly broke the comfortable silence.

I looked up to him and said “Me too.” I frowned “But you have to remember that Jessie doesn’t have a say on this yet so we don’t have the right to judge. And besides, they don’t actually stand the right to react on each other’s issues since they don’t even know what they are with each other.” I sadly smiled.

“I know, Jessie has been nothing but nice and real all these time. And whatever happened to her in the past doesn’t change the fact that we all respect her and like her as a person.” He paused looked at me and said “But I don’t want Yongbae hurt again. I can’t stand seeing him broken again after everything.” He sighed.

“Look babe, they’ll figure this out. I’ll try talking to Jess when we get there and just ask if she’s okay. I’m actually worried for her too. She’s developed a friendship with us over the past months already and we consider her as a sister already. I’m sure she’ll open up to me.” I assured.

Ji walked me to our dorm and said our goodnights and left. When I went back to the dorm I saw Chaerin, Minji, and Bom seriously looking at the computer and as I looked they were watching a music video of Jessie and her band. “Unnie! You’re back.” Minzy exclaimed as everyone smiled and waved at me. “You guys are stalkers now?!” I joked around and everyone laughed.

“Ani, we just got really curious suddenly with Jessie and decided to look her up in Google.” Chaerin looked at me “The girl can sing!” adding it with a smile. We ended that night listening to Jessie and her band’s songs and found ourselves sleeping in one room just like the old times. Ah, we’re off to the Philippines in 1 day!!!

Taeyang’s POV:

Who is that guy and what did he do to make her go away? Ji, TOP, Daesung, and Seungri decided to hang out in my room after packing their stuff to probably make sure I wasn’t moping over what we discovered over dinner.

“I’m really okay. You can leave and rest!” I laughed and threw my pillow at them.

“Ani we’re not here to make sure you’re okay. Dae and Seungri found something interesting and we wanted to show it to you!” TOP said as they all sat in my bed facing the TV while Seungri plugs his USB to the monitor. I looked with them and when the maknae hit play we saw a huge crowd cheering as the camera took an aerial shot of a girl in jeans, shirt, boots, and long wavy locks walk in the stage and held her mic.

“Wow!” The girl shouted as the crowd grew wild cheering the name “Jessie” She smiled, looked behind the band, looked back at the crowd and said “All these time you guys stood by us and for that we thank you!” She waved her hands looking teary eyed as the camera focused on the other girls behind the instruments shedding tears already. “Uhm, you saw us grow up and mature in every way. I might say goodbye to the stage, but my heart and mind will always go out to each and everyone of you and these lovely ladies behind me.” She started to form tears around her eyes, placed the mic on ther stand, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

“In another life, I would be your girl…” She started in acapella and the crowd cheered on as she opened her eyes and continued “We’ll keep all the promises be us against the world. And in another life, I would make you stay so I don’t have to say you were the one that got away…” She paused or a while, closed her eyes and tears fell down “THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY.” The drums opened the song and the piano followed as Jessie performed her last performance with her band.

We watched the performance and saw a different side of Jessie, she was still the same girl as now—very laidback, friendly, and sincere, but it was the first time the others and I saw her shed heartbroken tears. It was such a moving performance and towards the end of it, everyone cheered on, she bowed down a few times to the crowd as the red curtain closes representing and “end” to the show.

“Woah, chincha!!! Who knew the girl who walks around the building everyday and the one who came up with all our concepts is the same girl who sang amazingly on a full packed stage!” Seungri exclaimed while clapping. “Now I’m really curious what happened to her!” He added and everyone agreed including me.

“This is a tough time for her. Her sister is getting married on the place she left, she’s organizing the whole thing, and everyone there is out to get information from her! That must really a lot.” TOP shook his head still looking at the screen of the TV. Jiyong looked at me mentally asking me if I was okay..I nodded before talking.

“We all love and get hurt. I’m sure she’s strong enough to handle it. Just let it be and don’t try to get something out of her when we see her. Lets just pretend that we didn’t know this. There’s a reason why she kept silent about it and we should all just respect that.” I smiled standing up to grab my phone.

The guys decided to play video games in my room and I excused myself for a bit to make a call.

“Yongbae ah! What’s up?” Jane nuna greeted excitedly.

“Ah nuna you’re on the airport?” I asked

“Yup! With my hubby to beeee.” She said with aegyo.

“Aigoo nuna it doesn’t fit you!!” I laughed and she hissed.

“What do you want Yongbae?!” She playfully asked.

“Would you happen to have Jessie’s number in Manila?” I finally blurted out. Without any hesitation she dictated it to me and to my surprise she actually opened up a little about the issue.

“Yongbae ah, you will hear things about Jessie when you get here. You probably wont understand most of it since it’s in Filipino but I’m telling you now that this is something serious.” She paused “Whatever happens, please be there for Jessie just like how you assured me weeks ago. Please don’t change the way you see her.” She added with so much concern.

“Nuna, I kinda know now. How, I’ll tell you next time. But my feelings for Jessie doesn’t change. Just because a certain issue comes out, my heart would change overnight.” I assured her and thanked her for opening up to me as I wished them a safe trip.

I tried dialing Jessie’s number only to be welcomed by a voicemail “Hey, Jessie here! Busy serving bridezilla now so just leave me a message and I’ll get back to you ASAP! Toodles!” She seems happy despite the pressure around her I thought. I left a simple message “Hey! Having a hard time? Don’t worry coz I’ll see you in a day!! Hahahaha, I miss you.” I ended the call.

That night I played video games with the members and enjoyed their company as we welcomed the start of our 5 day vacation. I know I have to be with Jessie in the next few days. For some reason, I only felt more closer to her now more than ever, knowing her past, being able to hear what happened to her and being able to hear it directly from her were all the things I thought about. The morning of our flight to the Philippines, I got a text message from Jessie saying "Got you voice mail! Hey you :) So happy to hear your voice, very pressured with everything right now and I'll tell you all about it when you get here. Meantime, have a safe flight enjoy and I'll see your handsome face really soooooon!"

I smiled at her message. This feels right. I shouldn't be scared to face her past because that was her past and we on the other hand is the future. I won't waste that 5 days with her.