CHAPTER TWO: FUNEXPECTABLE.

I FOUND YOU

 

Having a sister like Jane is like having a VIP pass on a U2 concert, it was the best yet very overwhelming experience. When I told her my plans of finding an internship abroad she told me to come to Korea and said that she has something cooking up for this adventure hungry soul. When I first got to Seoul I met my sister's wonderful fiance for the first time and was able to look around the city before they took me to my apartment--yes I live by myself and I had no idea this was part of the plan. My sister asked for my portfolio and resume and I gave it to her assuming that she was gonna pass me up to a top design firm of some sort.

Fast track 2 weeks, I find myself wearing my favorite pair of jeans, white v-neck shirt, a blazer and a pair of red heels and sitting on my sister's Audi parking at this familiar building that I swear I saw somewhere…"This will be your life from now on sissy!" Jane exclaimed. I wandered like a kid as I followed her inside the building and we were welcomed by a bunch of friendly faces that spoke to my sister in English. "Everyone, this is my sister Jessie. Jess, this is everyone!" I had nothing to say but a shy hello as we all rode the elevator. Still clueless about what's going on, I nudged my sister's arm and asked the W's (What, Where, Why, WTF?!).

Elevator door opens and we walk at a dark hall filled with photos of god/goddess like people, many of which were familiar to me for some weird reason. A man with a quirky voice wearing a gray shirt and jeans hugged Jane as he motioned us to come inside the conference room.

"What took you so long, Jane! We've been waiting for your call. We're down to 3 weeks now. This should be Jessie?" the man asked with enthusiasm.

"Sorry, you know how wedding preps could be a sometimes! Yes, this is she. Jes, this is my good friend Yang Hyun Suk President of YG entertainment." 

"Hi, how'd you do?" was all I had to say as I was feeling so cold and clueless of what was going on.

"You clearly haven't told her?" YG said with a funny tone

"If I told her, she would have taken the first ticket back to the PH."

"I guess I'll take it from here then! Good luck with my English speaking skills though." Yang winked at my sister playfully as the traitor sis pats my hand and tells me she'd see me around. What the F does that mean?

Silence enveloped the place when Jane left until President Yang broke it off by asking me if I knew how to sing.

"In the shower, yes?" I said with an unassured tone as he slightly laughs and got to the point.

"Your sister gave me your portfolio, welcome to YG entertainment."

"For real?! Just like that I'm in? No tests or interview?"

"Of course not. I decided to make that test a little more hands on, something that everyone would check, not just the HR or me. I heard you were popular for last minute design solutions and you were known as the walking peg board?"

"Uhm, my sister's middle name is Exaggerated so you cannot rely on her all the time!"

"We'll see about that" he smiled and continued "You're familiar of BIGBANG, Jessie shi?"

"Yes, I've seen them perform on television a couple of times. Why?"

"They're coming up with a new album 2 months from now and we're shooting the music video of their title song in 3 weeks. I want you to conceptualize it with them and come up with a design." He said with an encouraging and challenging tone.

"Is this my test?" Was all I could say.

"They'll meet you tonight over dinner with me and your sister and some producers. I hope your peg board is fully recharged, young lady!" A smile formed in our faces.

"Oh my, I'm left with no choice aren't I?"

"You can choose to go back home. KK. I'm kidding!"

"Challenge accepted, Mr. Yang." We ended up that surprise interview slash job briefing slash funny encounter with a handshake and him saying "When things turn out really well during the conceptualizing stage, we will sign you in with the company so let's look forward to it!"

"Thank you for this chance, sir. I'll do my best!" A part of me was so excited about this job offer and a part of me felt the pressure and high expectations. But at that time I didn't give a damn, people kill to be in my place and this is probably that random adventure I've been looking for so bring it on!

President Yang brought me to the door of his office giving me his card and the details for tonight's initial meeting with BIGBANG. My sister was waiting for me outside with and expectant smile and as we walked ourselves out of the building I told her about the deal with President Yang and she briefed me as to how  the entertainment business in Korea goes. For a moment there I felt like I was going insane and that I didn't know what I've gotten myself into I can barely speak Korean for crying out loud. All I knew was: Annyeong hasseo, Jessie Imnida..or Kamsahamnida..oh and the latest was Miyanheyo. So how in the world am I gonna deal with this job and how the hell do I speak with these people I'm supposed to be meeting with tonight? Better yet, what the hell am I gonna wear for tonight and who does a meeting at a club anyway?

Oh.My.God. In 4 hours I will be meeting these people I just saw on MTV. I had no idea about them at all except the fact that they are pretty big in the industry and that they make awesome music videos which made me watch it even though I do not understand a thing about the song. I freaked out more when my sister said that this party was exclusively for the YG artists and staff, apparently they're on their 16th year and they're celebrating it like a boss. So Jane and I stopped by the mall to shop for clothes and to try to calm me down from all these chaos.