Unexpected

Forgotten Secret

After an entire day meeting with the marketing heads of the new ad project her company is working on Park Minyoung is back in her office. With a cup of coffee in her left hand, she pulled her office chair to face the huge glass wall of her office. She slowly massaged her forehead as she took her seat and look at the night lights of the towering buildings in front of her.

She love her job but the pressure of creativity can toil one's mind especially that South Korea's entertainment industry is very competetive. In her field of visuals, everything should be perfect - the outfit should always fit the model and the product, color coordinates with everything that will be seen in the ad and even in the music.

Regardless, she won't stop, this is her passion, she can't wait to have her own brand and put a halt to taking orders from others. But right now, let's work hard Minyoungie, disregard those hard to please people. Aja!! She cheered herself before finishing her coffee.

Pen in hand, forehead creased while looking at my new drawings, I continued to listen to Jessica over the phone in loud speaker. I can hear laughter and loud music in the background. I wonder if she is drinking again, she should have asked me, I would never turn down a drinking session.

'Ya! I told you to just go home and rest. Why do you have to go back in the office?'

She shook her head, as if her friend doesn't know that they have a deadline with another client tomorrow afternoon.

'The meeting will be in the afternoon, you can work on it in the morning, besides I'll help you.' Jessica added, convincing her to go home. But I know I won't be able to sleep if this is unfinished.

'Tss! Do you think you can help tomorrow when you're out drinking tonight Jessica?'

'Bwo?! You know I can hold my drink Minyoung! And I have reason for coming out tonight..' she giggled. Ah, this girl is surely drunk.

'Minyoung..' Jessica called, almost whispering, as if making sure no one hears her. 'I saw one the directors of Coop management here..' followed by a loud laugh again.

I can only shook my head with my unbelief on her. I can see where this is leading now.

'Ya! Go home will you? Stop following that Coop!'

If my dream is to release my own brand, Jessica's ultimate goal is to style the artists of the Coop management. I've been friends with Jessica for more than ten years and she is the ultimate fan girl. You know her motivation for being a stylist? To be able to style the artists. I can't believe her but yeah, she made it and we are here. The company we started 9 years ago are now styling artists. It wasn't easy at the beginning, the option to give up have crossed our mind thinking it will not work for us. But thanks to a few colleagues who have connections, we were given breaks. We started working on small projects - assisting fashion shows and eventually were contacted for print ads, commercials and now some artists management are our regular clients. We style their artists on their concerts, guestings, dramas and other appearances.

'Tss, why are you even so against Coop? We've worked with almost all the artists management except them. There artists are handsome - Gong Yoo, Kim Jae -'

'Ya!' she cut her immediately.

'.. besides I want to style unnie Hyo Jin -' Jessica continued.

'Are you even close with her to call her unnie?!' Here we go again having this discussion.

'Ha! I'll make sure to close the deal by the end of the month. And as for you ahjumma -'

'Excuse me, halmeoni??' she fought back.

'Haha! Ahjumma, if I get the deal you'll go out on a blind date with my cousin ah?'

What? It's not like I haven't been it to dates? I just don't have the time right now for relationship.

I shook my head, smiling while I ended the call with Jessica. I had no choice but to agree with her to go on a blind date with her cousin just so she'll stop talking about Coop. Knowing Jessica, once she put her mind into it, she'll get it. I looked at the wall clock inside my office and saw that it's almost eleven in the evening. I turned off my laptop and clean up my table.

The beeping of my phone woke me in the middle of sleep. I groaned seeing it was from Jessica and was debating if I should read it or not. What if she already closed the deal? That's impossible, artist management usually have a rigid selection process. I decided to turn off my phone for me not to be bothered again by Jessica, knowing her she won't stop until she get a reaction from me.

When I my phone the next day, Jessica's messages from last night bombarded my phone. With my shaking hands and heart beating quite fast I opened her messages. Should I look for nice dress to wear on my date with her cousin? Aigoo, that was really a bad deal with Jessica, I shouldn't have agreed with her.

What the?! my mind screamed when I saw that her messages were photos of Kim JaeUck, her bias and the famous actor I've been trying to escape all my life. Each photo would contain short messages - 'Minyoungie, he's so handsome'..'he's so y'..'oh my gosh his eyes'..'omo his voice'..'I'm going to die tonight Minyoung, tell my boyfriend I love him.' And all messages would be raining with heart.

What the hell was Kim Jaeuck doing in the club last night? Was he probably with the director of Coop management? I can't believe Jessica was at her stalking skills again. I immediately deleted the photos she sent me. I can't hardly look at his photos. I don't know why, everytime I look into his eyes, I feel like he's looking into my soul and that he'll know my deepest secret and most of all he'll melt you. So yeah, he's a no, big N.O!

I was early in the office and didn't expect that Jessica will be earlier than me. And wow look at her, her eyes are so bright, her smile are big, she doesn't seem to have hangover.

'Good morning CEO Park!'

I rolled my eyes at her, ignoring her and continued walking to my table.

'Sajangnym, did you like the photos I sent?' she sassily said.

I sighed. I can see how excited she is at pissing me this morning. She bit her lower lip, trying to control her laughter. I feel nervous with the way she look, its as if she's hiding a bomb behind her and will throw it at me anytime. Jessica is always cunning. Jessica took something from her pocket and wave it at me.

'I got the card of Jaeuck oppa's manager'

Jaeuck Oppa? It sends shrills to my bone with her calling Oppa all the time. I dismissed it, raising my eyebrows to her and pouting my lips. I was expecting she got the card of the director but that's okay. It means it will take a while before I'll have the blind date with her cousin. Honestly, I don't care if it's the manager's card, I mean, he is not the decision maker of the company. It's not a big thing seriously, it's not as if Jessica will call Jaeuck, right? And that guy has no time for matters like this. He has a lot of project going on, not that I'm stalking or following him. He's famous, there are news everywhere about him and obviously I always get it from Jessica.

Jessica walk towards my table and sat at the corner, looking at the card.

'To be honest I went to the club because Jaeuck Oppa will be there, it was just a coincidence that I saw the director of Coop. But yeah..we're closer Minyoung.' shaking my arms.  'I promise you we'll get the contract before the end of the month'

'Hmm..' I nodded slowly, trying to show a little bit of interest to what she is saying. I feel so guilty, I wanted to share Jessica's happines everytime she'll say something about her bias. But I just can't and I don't know if I will ever be able to squeel with her.

'Do you want to know how I got Jaeuck oppa manager's card?'

'Sure' I nodded, pulling my drawing pad and pens from my drawers.

'He went to the same middle school as I am. I bumped with him going to the rest room, so I apologized and introduced myself. But that's not important Minyoung,' she sat at the chair in front of my table. She looked at me with big eyes and took my hand 'Jaeuck oppa will have a cf and you know what? The company told them they can get their own stylist.'

'Really?' I was honestly surprised. Most of the company we worked with for a cf provide the stylist for their model. So it's the ad company that will contact us not the artist management.

'His manager said he'll recommend us to the company.' She shrieked almost pinching my arms. 'Ya, you know Minyoungie, I only want to work with Coop because of Jaeuck Oppa right? If we work with him, it's okay if we don't work with all the Coop artists, you don't have to worry about going on a blind date with my cousin.' she laugh after saying that.

Is that better? I think I'll opt for going on a blind date with her cousin instead.

'Oh my gosh, Minyoung I can't believe I saw him up close last night.' She had that dreamy look in her eyes, looking away from me. 'He's so handsome.' cupping her face. 'And those veins in his arms..oh my gosh so manly Minyoung...'

I can't help but look intently at Jessica. I wonder how her boyfriend will react hearing those words from her. Well, her boyfriend knows she's into Jaeuck but her saying as if she's desiring Jaeuck is..

'...unfortunately someone was with him. I was a bit heartbroken last night Minyoung' Jessica was rubbing her chest.

'Ya, will you stop with that. He's not that handsome anyway.' trying to calm her.

'Muoarago??!' She looked at me sharply as if she'll kill me if I won't correct what I said. 

'What? I'm just saying the truth. Honestly, I don't find him that handsome Jess..' I paused a bit 'but I admit he's sort of ..hot.' immediately swallowing.

'See? You also find him y. I know right, you're imagining him.'

'Seriously Jess?!' I took my drawing pad and wack her head. 'You're gross!'

'Admit it Minyoung, besides I understand, you haven't been in a relationship for a long time.' She laugh so loud.

'I don't do relationship for Jessica!'

'I know,  you're not that kind of girl. But yeah, I give you permission to imagine Jaeuck Oppa!'

'You can have him by yourself, I'll have his manager' she joked and got a serious look from Jessica.

'You know he's my friend, I can introduce you to him, just tell me.'

I don't know how many times I rolled my eyes to her. Why is she is uptight in having me meet someone? She knows I don't have time for it.

'Actually, I can also set you up with Jaeuck Oppa it's fine with me, since I have a boyfriend whom I love so much, you can have Jaeuck Oppa that way I can fangirl very close.'

'You just mentioned he was with someone.' I took my eraser, thinking if I should erase the lace I added at the bottom of the dress I drew.

'Tss, do you think he would date openly? He said he will never be caught dating. Yeah, so those girls he's with openly are not his girlfriend.'

It took a few minutes more before our talk ended. If I won't stop Jessica, she'll spend the entire day talking about her bias forgetting about our meeting with a client this afternoon.

'...we will use colors that will not clash with the background. Let's set up a happy mood with colors reminding us of summer.' I clicked the remote to show the last slide.

Everyone nodded and clapped their hands after my presentation.

'Let's start with the fitting on the 12th so you'll have enough time to choose the clothes and design.' the marketing director told us.

I smiled at him 'Sure that's fine with us.' I looked at Jessica making sure she take note of the date.

Jessica and I spent the rest of the week looking for available designs. I can't deny that it was a big help having connections with other designers, store and mall owners to shop. We've been doing this for many years but I still prefer being hands on with my clients. Though we have several assistants I will always have the final touch and look. We visited several shops, I personally want to make sure that the clothes doesn't only look good but also feels good. I think that comfort is a big factor to help the model act which convinces the viewers. I'm very happy with my job, some clients can't believe that I'm the stylist and I would often receive offers to  model for them. I know, with my 5'5 height and petite figure I am often mistaken for a model instead of a stylist but I like working behind, away from the limelight, it's not just for me.

By the end of the week, we already have all the clothes we needed for the fitting. Jessica was very happy, she and her boyfriend planned something for the weekend. Good for them, while I think I'll stay at home and clean the entire weekend. My mom had visited the other day and saw the mess, I got scolding again. Really I have no time to clean my house, with all the lined up schedules I'm thankful that I can still blow dry my hair before leaving the house and put on a light make-up.

'Let's drink after the fitting Jess.'

'Wow! Should I go to the mountains and say a thank you prayer that you offered that Minyoung?'

'Tss, you know we've been busy. If you don't want, fine!' I said sounding hurt. 'I'll find another drink buddy' As if I would.

'Haha..I will be staying in the mountain if you do that Min young. That would be a miracle. But I guess, it won't be difficult for you ah, with lots of guys waiting for you..'

'Whatever are you thinking Jessica!' I throw a pen at her face. 'It doesn't mean it's a guy you know, but of course I could do that.'

'Yeah and there's nothing wrong if you drink with a guy, I mean, ya you're 33 years old and you said you'll marry by 35, so you only have two years to be single.'

I smirked at her. 'That was my ideal age to marry, it doesn't mean I have to pick any random guy just because I'm 35.' I sighed and looked at her intently 'whatever, let's drink when this project ends.'

'Or you could just pick Seo Joon again, so it's Park - Park.'

'Seriously Jess, very childish.' I stuck my tongue out to her. 'And what's with again, as if we've been together.' I shook my head with Jessica's confused look. I told her but she doesn't believe me that Seo Joon and I never had a relationship, that guy is only 30 years old, I prefer older guys. What kind of a friend is she?

'You can't blame me Minyoung, you're very secretive. Almost everyone around us even our families believe you two became a couple.' Jessica looked at her intently.

I don't know why people around me would always think I'm with a relationship with a guy I am friends with. Do I always give a couple vibe? They have to take my word if I said it's none, I've been very honest with my relationship, I'll admit if there is one or none.

After we're done with fitting, it took two more weeks to shoot the ad. Some of the clothes didn't fit well so we have to make some adjustments and fit again.

'Sajangnym is this alright?' asked by one of my assistant holding the collar worn by the model.

I moved infront of the model and tilted the ends of the collar, smoothing the sleeves. 'How about that?' she asked, smiling as the new look pleased  her.

'Thank you sajangnym'

I waited for the shoot to end. I had to look around and check where Jessica is, its our last shooting day and we promise that we will drink tonight. Another project completed!

'Jess, I'll go ahead alright? I'll leave you to wrap up. I have to drop by my unit.'

'Yeah..yeah..go and bring a guy.'

I laugh and pull the ends of her hair when I passed by her side.

I took a shower and changed my clothes, I want to feel light tonight without the weight of the day on me while drinking. I entered the address of the club on my navigation and start driving. I was thinking of a new design for my brand, the next project will start after a few weeks so I still have time to work on my brand. I looked outside and noticed that there's a traffic jam. I took my phone planning to call Jessica but was surprised that she was calling me instead.

'Min youngie! Minyoungie!' she was shouting.

'Ya! I would be deaf if you keep shouting like that.'

'Where are you? Stop and go to the new address I'll give you.' she was panicking.

'What? Why?' confused with her instruction.

'Just go okay?!'

'Why are suddenly changing our location? I'm gonna kill you for this, you know.'

'We should have a big celebration. I got the contract for Jaeuck Oppa's CF..hahah..I told you sis!'

It took me a few minutes to recover from what she told me, my eyes was stuck looking at the plate number of the car in front of me.

We got the contract? This is impossible. How could it be? How did it happen?

'Hurry up, his manager is here, he said Jaeuck Oppa will come! Oh my gosh Minyoung, you should be here when I die tonight!'

I could hear her giddiness across the line but the beating of my heart was louder and it seems it will burst anytime. I can't believe this is happening, I might die first before Jessica.