Chapter 22

The Bodyguard's Krystal

 

Chapter 22

 

 

“No I’m not… what made you think that I’m avoiding you?” The younger answered.

 

“C’mon Krystal, I know you’re avoiding me!”

 

SLAP

 

“How dare you raise your voice to me?! Don’t tell me you already forgot what you are. Not because I told you we’re friends, doesn’t mean you can just raise your voice like that to me!”

 

The younger’s statements left Amber speechless.

 

“Yeah right… I’m just your bodyguard and tutor,”she thought to herself. “What am I expecting?”

 

“Yeah you’re right,” the bodyguard smiled bitterly. “Thanks for reminding me… Ms. Krystal.”

 

RRIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG!!!

 

The bell already rang, and two went back to their classroom, walking silently. As soon as they entered the classroom, Sulli noticed the tension between the two. Her problem now is that she doesn’t know who to approach and ask first. Krystal is her best friend, but Amber’s like her brother. Being close to the two, she isn’t blind and numb either not to feel that there’s something going on between her two friends. She’s been contemplating for days now whether to ask them about it or not. But feeling the tension that Krystal and Amber have now, she thought that it’s more important now.

 

“I’ll just ask Krystal first during lunch, and then text hyung later after class.”She thought to herself.

 

But she was not able to talk to either of the two at the end of the day. Krystal suddenly disappeared during lunch, and she just texted her that she wanted to be alone. After class, they all went to the music to have a meeting regarding the timeline that Mr. Park made as a guide for their rehearsals and preparations for the play. She noticed that Krystal’s in her Ice Princess mode, and Amber just silently sat behind them.

 

 

Sulli’s POV

 

“Hey Luna!”

 

Since Luna’s in the play too, she’s the first one that she wanted to talk to regarding the two. They’re all friends anyway.

 

“What’s up Ssul? Oh, where’s Krystal? Isn’t she going with us?”

 

They normally go out of their building together, so it’s new that Krystal’s not with them.

 

“She already left. She said she’s got something to do and that she has to go home immediately.”

 

“Oh I see.” They then started walking.

 

“Luna, can I ask you something?”

 

“Hm? What’s that Ssul?”

 

“Haven’t you noticed something between Amber and Krystal today?”

 

This made Luna to stop walking for a moment.

 

“Now that I think about it… you’re right. Something’s awkward between them. Did they have a fight or something?”

 

“That is something I don’t know.” The two continued walking until they saw Amber walking towards her motorcycle.

 

“Now that I think of it Luna… Did you know where Amber lives?”

 

“Eh? I don’t know. She said she’s living alone.”

 

“Hmm… I want to talk to her and ask her about their situation…”

 

The two looked at each other…

 

“Do you think what I’m thinking?” Luna asked.

 

“Yes…”

----

 

“I swear we’re like stalkers now Sulli, hahaha!”

 

Yes you’re right. They stealthily followed Amber on her way home… on her way to the Jung’s mansion.

 

“This road is familiar Luna…”

 

“Hmmm… yeah… Isn’t this also the road to…”

 

They both looked at each other…

 

“Ms. Sulli, Amber just went inside that gate.” The driver told them pointing to the gate in front of them.

 

“Ahhh… So Amber lives near Krystal.” Luna said.

 

“No Luna…”

 

“Eh? Why? What’s wrong Ssul?”

 

“I’ve been Krystal’s friend for who knows how long… and we actually got lost for a few times before in this place… and…”

 

“And what Sulli?”

 

“This whole place is still part of the Jung’s property.” The driver started to explain.

 

“Ahuh…” Luna expressed… expecting for further explanations.

 

“That gate that your friend entered… is just one of the gates toward the Jung’s mansion. The Jung’s household is 5 hectares and that extends from the gate that we usually use, which is the main gate, all the way here. That gate… is a hidden one. Only a few people inside know that there’s a gate in here.”

 

“So you mean…”

 

“Amber… lives in…” Sulli started… then she looked at Luna.

 

“… in the grounds of the Jungs!” They were both startled with the realization they just had.

 

---------

 

Amber’s POV

 

As I got in my room, I immediately went to the bathroom. I can’t believe I just fought with my boss. Maybe taking a shower will cool me off a bit. Everything’s just not right today. After taking a shower, I picked up the script for our play in my bag and started reading it while drying my hair with a towel. I have less than one hour before I go to Krystal’s room for our daily tutorial lessons, less than one hour to read the script and reflect on what happened earlier at the same time. Aish! It’s driving me crazy… SHE is driving me crazy.

 

 

Krystal’s POV

 

Here I am sitting in the bathtub for maybe around 20 minutes now, feeling the warmth of the lukewarm water on my bare skin. I thought of what happened earlier and I must admit, even I was surprised with the way I acted, and neither did I expect that Amber would raise her voice on me. Aish! I was even distracted the whole day because of what happened. It’s the first time we fight… What to do? I know I must’ve hurt her when I reminded her that she’s my bodyguard, but… Argh! I submerged my head in the water for a few seconds and as I pull my head out to breathe…

 

“Why are you making things hard for me Amber?!” I shouted.

 

---------

 

Meanwhile, Luna and Sulli carefully analyzed the situation before planning what to do to confirm their suspicion. They were intrigued with Kryber’s actions, but find it fun at the same time. They went to a store nearby and started planning.

 

While Luna and Sulli carefully plot their ‘revealing-the-truth-behind-amber-and-krystal’s-actual-relationship plan,’ Amber’s already in front of Krystal’s door, holding her textbooks, notes and pencil case. Krystal on the other hand has been walking back and forth in front of her study table, biting her nails.

 

Amber’s POV

 

I took a deep long breath before knocking Krystal’s door nervously.

 

“Who’s that?” She asked from the other side of the door.

 

“I-It’s me… YOUNG MISS.” I answered. It’s been a while since the last time I called her that. A few moments later, the door opened.

 

“Come in.” She said as she stood there in front of me, hands folded in front of her chest. She really is mad at me I guess. She then turned around and walked towards her study table and took a seat.

 

“You’re fifteen minutes early.” She said coldly while staring at me. Her stares are killing me… sending me chills all over my body.

 

“Y-Yes.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After contemplating in my room, the best thing I can think of to beg for her forgiveness is this…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I kneeled in front of her, keeping my head down. “I’m sorry for yelling at you earlier. It’s my fault… It’s my entire fault. Please forgive me Young Miss. Please forgive your disrespectful servant. I’m sorry for forgetting my role. I’m sorry for being too comfortable around you, that I forget who really I am to you.”

 

 

Krystal’s POV

 

I was shocked when I saw her kneeling in front of me, begging for forgiveness. I don’t know why but I feel hurt with what she’s doing right now. She’s sincerely apologizing to me. But her words struck me… yeah… I told her, right in her face… that she’s just my bodyguard. And I’m guilty with what I said. I didn’t mean it, but I was so mad earlier and…

 

“Please Young Miss… it’s okay if you don’t give me my salary for this month or for the next months, just please forgive me… don’t fire me.”

 

Her mentioning the salary and firing her hurts me even more. And why do you keep on calling me ‘Young Miss’? What did I do to make you talk like this Amber?

 

“W-Will you please stand up? Get on your feet…” I ordered her.

 

“No Young Miss. I won’t stand up until you tell me that I’m forgiven.”

 

“Please Amber… Okay fine I forgive you!”

 

She looked up at me, and her face lightened up. “Really?”

 

“Yes. So can you just move and get on your feet?”

 

“Thank you so much Young Miss. I promise I will never do it again.” She said while bowing down repeatedly.

 

“And will you please stop calling me Young Miss?”

 

“Ahh… Yes Young… Uhm… Yes Ms. Krystal.” She bowed down again.

 

I know it’s also my fault that she raised her voice accidentally. She just might be upset that I’m avoiding her and giving her a cold treatment.

 

*sigh*

 

“I’m also at fault you know… I’m sorry for avoiding you and giving you cold treatments lately. I’m just confused…” confused of my own feelings for you.

 

 

Author’s POV

 

“No, I’m really the one at fault…” the bodyguard insisted.

 

The young Jung sighed for her servant’s persistence. “Amber… Can we just stop this conversation? And please stand up.”

 

The bodyguard then had no choice but to finally get in her feet. What happened next was something that she didn’t expect. The younger girl hugged her… tightly.

 

“I’m sorry… I missed you.” The younger girl said softly.

 

Frozen for a moment, the bodyguard came back to her senses and hugged back ‘her’ princess.

 

“I-I’m sorry too Princess… I missed you too,” she said while tapping the young girl’s back lightly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Surprise Krystal!” the door of Krystal’s room suddenly flung open revealing two girls.

 

“Wait madame…” a maid said trying to prevent one of the girls to open the door, but she failed.

 

 

O.O

 

 

 

 

----------------

 

“So Amber is your personal bodyguard and tutor?” Luna asked.

 

“Yes.” Krystal answered.

 

“So why are you hugging before?” Sulli butted in, making Amber and Krystal blush.

 

“Eherm… W-We just… uhh… well we had a fight earlier so… w-we talked about it and forgave each other. S-so w-we… uhh… hugged… a FRIENDLY hug. Yeah that’s it.” Amber stuttered while explaining.

 

“Ohh, I see.” Luna said but she and Sulli know there is still something that they’re hiding. Being their friends, they chose not to ask further and just leave, it’s getting late anyway and they still have school tomorrow.

 

“We’ll leave now. Sorry if we interrupted you guys.” Sulli said.

 

Amber and Krystal then looked at each other, talking in their eyes. “W-Wait.” Krystal stopped them.

 

“Why don’t we study together tonight? How was that? Since we’re already here, why don’t we do our homeworks together?” Amber told them.

 

“Yep. My tutor’s the best tutor in the world you know? Hahaha.” Krystal boasted as she put her arms around Amber’s shoulder, tapping it lightly, causing the latter to blush.

 

Sulli and Luna looked at each other first before looking at the two.

 

“Agreed!”

 

----------

 

The door to Krystal’s room flung open revealing two girls who looked like they just lost their souls inside.

 

“We’re going now…” Luna lifelessly told the two were still inside.

 

“Yeah… thanks Amber… for torturing our brains, I mean for teaching us.” Sulli told Amber.

 

“And thanks for the dinner too Krys.” Luna added.

 

“You’re both welcome guys.” The two evily smiled at each other.

 

 

In Sulli’s car…

 

“How in the heck did Krystal do it?” Luna asked Sulli.

 

“Yeah… studying like that with Amber… everyday. Even I can’t imagine me last a week with Amber as my tutor. She killed my remaining brain cells.”

 

-----------

 

The following days passed through quickly and our bodyguard and her princess were so busy that they didn’t realize that it’s weekend already.

 

“Thank God it’s Friday!” Amber uttered as she laid down the wooden floor of the dance studio in the Jung’s mansion.

 

“Yeah… Never been tired like this my whole life!” Krystal, who’s lying opposite to Amber, agreed.

 

“I never thought that musicals or plays are this tiring. I will never do this ever again!” The younger continued.

 

“At least you don’t have a band practice like me.”

 

“That’s what you think!”

 

Amber then turned around, lying on her belly, rested her chin on her hands and raised her eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

 

Krystal also turned around, facing Amber. She also rested her chin on her hands and answered, “Luna and I are practicing for a duet performance. Mr. Park said that we’ll also perform in the concert.”

 

“Aww… Didn’t know that my Princess is also going to perform in the beneficiary concert of the school.”

 

The two stared at each other for a few moments before returning to their position, lying on their backs, but their heads are right next to each other this time.

 

“Amber?”

 

“Hm?

 

“Who’s Nicole to you?”

 

“Nicole? Didn’t I already tell you that she’s my friend?”

 

“What kind of friend?”

 

“Well… close friend.”

 

“How close?”

 

“Hmm… Well… How should I say this? She’s like my best friend when I was still in the States. We always hang out together so I can say she pretty knows a lot about me.”

 

 

“Does she know about your family?”

 

“Uhm… About me being an adopted child?”

 

“Well… yeah.”

 

“Yep.”

 

Silence

 

“Amber?”

 

“Yes Princess?”

 

“What am I to you?”

 

Amber was surprised with the question of the younger girl. She didn’t know what to say.

 

“You’re my boss…”

 

Krystal suddenly felt sad upon hearing the word ‘boss.’

 

“…my friend” Amber continued. “a very close one… my Princess…”

 

Krystal’s heart skipped a beat when she heard Amber told that she’s ‘her’ Princess. “YOUR Princess?” She said emphasizing the word ‘your.’

 

“Uhh… t-that… I mean w-we think you’re OUR Princess anyway.”

 

“We?”

 

“Y-yes… us… Jaejoong hyung, Ard hyung, Lui hyung…” Amber explained, hoping that her answer will save her from Krystal’s awkward question.

 

“Oh, I see.”

 

 

“I don’t mind being… yourprincess anyway.” She whispered.

 

“What did you say Princess?”

 

“Huh? What? Nothing…”

 

“Oh c’mon… you said something! I heard it, just not clearly.” Amber said as she sat up.

 

“Not my loss that you’re deaf. XP”

 

“What? That’s unfair! You just whispered it so I didn’t hear clearly!”

 

“Our heads are lying next to each other, so even if I whisper it, you should hear it.”

 

“Aish!” Amber then thought of something to make the younger girl speak again. “Guess I have to use force then.” Amber smirked.

 

“Hm? What do you mean force?” Krystal asked.

 

“Like this.” Amber appeared beside her, and started tickling the sides of the clueless girl lying on the floor.

 

“Hahaha! S-Stop it Amber! It tickles… Hahahaha!” Krystal struggled as she tried to take off Amber’s hands.

 

“Not until you say it again…”

 

“Hahahaha!!! I already said no… I won’t say it again.”

 

Amber continued to tickle the girl until she realized how awkward their position is right now.

 

Krystal finally managed to grab both Amber’s wrists to stop her then she also realized that they really are in an awkward position right now.

 

Awkward silence…

 

The two stared at each other’s eyes.

 

 

Lub dub

 

Lub dub

 

 

“You…” Amber said softly.

 

The room is so silent that it seems like they can hear each other’s pounding heart beat.

 

 

Lub dub

 

 

Lub dub

 

 

Krystal started to rest her hands on the floor while still holding the wrists of Amber, who’s kneeling beside her.

 

 

Lub dub

 

 

Lub dub

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“KRYSTAL JUUUUUUUUUUUUNG!!!!!!!!!!” The door of the dance studio suddenly opened revealing a girl in the white coat.

 

“Oh my God! What are you two doing?!”

 

The two suddenly moved away from each other, both blushing. They are know both sitting on the floor with their heads down trying to hide the fact that they’re blushing.

 

The doctor looked at the two and smirked on her own.

 

This is interesting… Aish these kids… But hey, they’re still kids…The doctor told herself.

 

“D unnie, have you found Krystal?”

 

Jessica then appeared in the door.

 

“Eh? Why are the three of you so silent?” She said as she saw the three.

 

“N-Nothing… Hahaha! Right guys?” D said trying to take away the awkwardness.

 

“Yeah… right.” Krystal answered. “Anyway, why are you guys here?” She curiously asked.

 

“Oh, we’re here to tell you guys to pack up.” Jessica answered.

 

“We’re going to Harbin… tonight.” D continued.

 

“W-What?!” Kryber were both surprised with D’s answer.

 

“Yes… It’s just for one day. We’ll be back here in Korea in Sunday morning so no worries about school.” D explained.

 

“I have rehearsals tomorrow afternoon unnie.” Amber informed the latter.

 

“Aish, you’re just going to miss one practice… just make it up to them on your next practice. C’mon… tell them something important came up and you can’t make it tomorrow. I’ll give you guys one hour to prepare.” D said. The two elders then left the room leaving Kryber alone again.

 

“Uhh… We only have one hour… I think we should go back to our rooms now.” Amber suggested.

 

“Y-Yeah. You’re right.”

 

“Do you know where Harbin is Princess?”

 

“Uhh… no I don’t. Do you?”

 

“Yep… been there once… when I was a kid. Bring you thickest jacket.”

 

“Eh? Why?”

 

“Harbin… is in the northeastern part of China. Every January, they hold an Ice Festival, where you can see structures and sculptures made of ice.”

 

“Ohh… I see… How old are you when you first visited there?”

 

“Three years and three months old.”

 

“Woah! You can still remember that?”

 

The two of them are now walking towards Krystal’s room.

 

“Yeah… It’s one of the happiest memories I had with my family.” Amber answered, with a little bit of sadness in her eyes, which didn’t left unnoticed by the younger girl.

 

“Happiest memory, but why do you look so sad?”

 

“I was with my family when I first went there… my biological father and mother…”

 

“Aww… Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay… We’re here now.”

 

“Yeah… so uhh… see you in an hour?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

As Krystal went in her room, she leaned on the door and thought of what happened in the dance studio. She could feel the rush of blood in her face. Amber on the other hand, remained standing in front of Krystal’s door, also thinking of what happened earlier.

 

“How about me Princess? What am I to you?” She asked before moving her feet away from the where she’s standing and returned to her room.