Chapter 9

Equity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungwoo’s grumbling stomach woke him up this morning. He got up and walked over to his fridge to see what he could make to fill his hunger. However, only the cool breeze welcomed him when he opened it. Other than a few useless things, there was nothing. He had been busy with work lately that he forgot to buy groceries like he always did. He heard his stomach once again so he decided to go and have breakfast at the nearest convenience store. By breakfast, he really just meant instant ramen and a bottle of milk.

 

He sat facing the glass wall of the store. He could see strangers pass by and some familiar faces doing their own thing. He grabbed the milk he bought and twisted its cap. He felt the cold feeling of the liquid down his throat but he coughed some of it out when his eyes met a face suddenly pressed against the glass from the outside. He put his hand over his chest as he cough and wiped away some milk on the corner of his lips. He heard the sound of the door opening and the figure he just saw outside was now beside him.

 

“Hyung!!! Jungwoo hyung!!! It’s really you right? I missed you!!!” He just recovered from his choking incident when arms abruptly wrapped around his neck. He had to cling on the other’s waist to not fall back his chair from the impact.

 

“Ch-Chenle, I can’t breathe.” The younger muttered an apology and let go to place his backpack on the table.

 

“Is that your school bag? Do you have classes even in weekends?” Chenle shook his head and opened his bag.

 

“Nope. I was on my way to my private tutor to help me with my essay about this book” He was rummaging on his bag as if looking for something. “Here it is” He pulled out a pocketbook that looks like one of those classic novels. “I’ve been reading it for a few days now.”

 

Chenle explained how they were supposed to write about how they understood the topics tackled in the book. He listened on how the Chinese boy talked about the plot and how interesting it was. He watched as the younger’s hands move as he talks, making gestures here and there. He even narrated what he supposed was the of the story with sound effects and acted out some scenes that seemed intense because of the younger’s expressions. He would nod and chuckle occasionally at the enthusiasm in front of him.

 

 

The three brothers didn’t look like each other at all. They all have unique features that differ from one another and though related, there’s a huge contrast in their personalities. It’s prominent how the eldest was much more uptight. He had noticed that when he first met Taeyong in the company. He had to check twice to believe that they were really brothers. Chenle, on the other hand, resembled Lucas the most. He concluded this the first time he spent time with him when the kid arrived unannounced on his father’s office. It was like seeing Lucas in a different body.

 

If Jungwoo was to be honest, he easily found himself attached to the boy because of that. He quickly became comfortable because it’s like being with someone he’s familiar with. He saw Lucas in him and that was enough for him to enjoy every moment he had with Chenle. It made him reminisce the fun times, like being with the person that always made him the happiest. They were not together anymore at that time and they should not be which was why he was glad with being with the youngest of the three. Chenle was like Lucas but he was not him. This made him feel slightly better back then because he, for sure, wouldn’t be able to handle things if he was with the real deal.

 

“But hyung, there’s something that I don’t understand.” He snapped out of his thoughts and directed all his attention to the younger. “Why did the main character leave the person he loves? He loved her so much but he left her at the end. I really don’t get it, I mean, if he really loved that person why did he go?” He stared dumbfounded at the question that was thrown to him. The younger’s curiosity really hit him hard. “Hyung?” He looked at him and thought of a different person.

 

“When you love someone, all you want for them is the best even if it means going through the worst.”

 

“Wouldn’t that be painful tho?” A clear image of Lucas appeared in his mind and he smiled fondly at the boy.

 

“He’s worth it”

 

 

 

Lucas rubbed his temples as he sat on his sofa. He was slightly recovering from his hangover since he drank some medicine earlier but his head still hurts like hell. The night out and the drinks were good and all but the morning after is the complete opposite. He’s been taught how to drink but not how to recover from it. He let out a groan as he tilted his head back from the pain.

 

“Are you even listening?” He lifted his head up to face his friend that just crashed in his place as usual. When he asked him earlier why he was here, he heard something about crisis and work. He couldn’t really remember.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter