Chapter 11: A Year Ago

Equity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Jungwoo? What are you—Come in.” Jungwoo clenched the straps of his backpack and stepped inside his superior’s fancy apartment. He was looking down as he followed Doyoung, seeing his reflection on the floor as they walked. His eyes fell on the other’s back, slightly feeling bad for barging in unannounced at such an ungodly hour. “Have a seat first.”

 

He sat down at the sofa as told and settled his bag beside him. The soft feeling of the cushion brought comfort to his exhausted body. With everything that has been happening he’s been nothing but worn out physically and mentally. He’s been going through a lot and his body felt like it could drop any moment now, his brain could barely think straight and his heart is probably the most wrecked part of him. Not beating at all would’ve been a better option, it would’ve been less painful.

 

“Here, have some water.” He grabbed the glass with his hands and muttered a ‘thank you’. He took a sip and felt the cold liquid touch his dry lips. “What happened? Are you okay? Did you leave your home? Are those all your clothes?” He nodded his head weakly in response.

 

His home for the past 20 years of his life had never been the most comforting. His mom was the one that always took care of him. She was that kind of generic housewife that always followed her husband. He did feel her motherly love for him but it was not enough to go against his father’s orders. His father was not the worst human ever to exist, he’s just not that good sometimes. He’s the breadwinner of the family, working earnestly as an employee of a big company that Jungwoo also later worked at as a part-timer.

 

He didn’t want to admit, but he was a lot like his father. His reserved, organized, and meticulous nature was from his old man. He grew up to be like him because he had to follow his standards. He was weak-hearted like his mother so he got used to doing things even if it was against his will. He was like a robot programmed according exactly to what his father wanted his perfect son to be. He couldn’t disobey him his whole life, he never did except now.

 

“Do you have it with you?” He nodded and searched his bag. He pulled out the envelope that he was trying to find at their house for a few weeks now. He handed it to his senior who inspected it and revealed the folder inside with the title “IVC”. He guessed that it stood for IV Corporations, the suspiciously fast rising new company that he recently found out that his father was secretly working for. “You can go to sleep for now. You can start working with me as the CEO’s assistant whenever you’re ready. I can guarantee you that we’ll work things out so rest assured.”

 

Doyoung led him to the guest room, briefly explaining where the things are. He could only nod at what he was saying because he was too tired to respond.

 

“Oh, by the way,” He turned his head at the older that’s holding onto the doorknob. “I hope you won’t mention anything to the CEO’s son about the things that are happening and what’s about to. The boss doesn’t really want to involve his other two sons into this mess. I know your relationship with the second child so, I hope you don’t say anything.”

 

“He won’t know anything. I broke up with him.”

 

 

 

“Just get in already.” Jungwoo looked up at the tall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter