Chapter 9

Second Chance..

???: "Ms Kim, will you please tell us more about your recent project with HIL Corporation?"

???: "How about your company's recent bid of $20 million for a piece of land? What are Kim Corporation development plans?"

???: "Will you please make some remarks?"

???: "Is the rumour true about your company planning to merge with YORK Enterprise?"

???: "Ms Kim!"

Taeyeon : "Sooyoung"

Taeyeon signaled to her friend, which Sooyoung nodded in response, understanding what she needs to do.

Sooyoung: " Ladies and gentlemen, we are here today to do our bit for charity. No work involve today. "

???: " Can you at least make some remarks on Kim's Corporation recent developments? "

Taeyeon: " I'm leaving you in charge. "

Sooyoung: " We will be having a press conference next week to discuss our joint project with HIL and the developments for the land. And with the regarding the rumour of a merge, I'm afraid their only using our name to push up their shares prices. "

???: " What will be the budget today for the jewellery bid? "

Sooyoung ( smiled politely ): " This is for charity, so we don't have a budget. That's all people."

It was best to let Sooyoung handled the press. Taeyeon could never stand their never-ending questions. The fact that she was the youngest person in so many years to inherit the family business, one of the most eligible bachelors, a damn rich and handsome/pretty one, didn't help at all. The more secretive she was, the more the tabloids tried to sound her out.

Tiffany: " That was horrible. "

Tiffany shuddered at the thought of being pestered by the press and paparazzi.

Taeyeon: " That was considered mild already. "

Tiffany: " It's obvious that fame is not my cup of tea."

Taeyeon: " The fact that you're here with me today means the press is not letting you off. Mark my words."

Tiffany looked at her horrified, her eyes questioning Taeyeon.

Sooyoung: " You don't see Taeng appearing in the tabloids do you? You're the second Tiffany."

Tiffany ( confused ): " Second? So who's first?"

Sooyoung grimaced slightly at her question, sneaking a peak at her friend.

" Stephanie " Taeyeon answered, while Tiffany kept quiet. It was lucky that the bid was starting, as the atmosphere had started getting stiff, with the topic revolving around Taeyeon’s past.

Taking their seats at the front of the stage, Tiffany couldn't help thinking of what happened the day after that particular night.

Tiffany POV

We walked out of our rooms at the same time, with Taeyeon looking straight at me for a second before speaking.

Taeyeon: " Tiffany, there's something I have to tell you."

From the way Taeyeon spoke and the way she looked at me, I already knew what was on her mind. "

Tiffany: " You didn't have to worry about last night. You needed comfort, and I just happened to be there to offer you some."

She looked in my eyes trying to search for some truth in it, but all I did was to smile and head off downstairs.

Taeyeon: " Gomawo "

Tiffany POV end

Taeyeon looked on as Tiifany waved off her appreciation, before making her way down as well. Unknown to her, Tiffany had forced herself to swallow down some of the food on her plate, trying to act as if they tasted delicious, when they actually tasted like dry dust to her.

Tiffany was half hoping to hear Taeyeon protest and deny what she had said, but knew that it was fruitless hoping for the impossible. It was impossible to ask her to forget about Stephanie, but all she asked for was just a tiny space for her in Taeyeon heart. Tiffany fought hard to put on a brave front, acting cheerful and all, when deep down inside, her heart was starting to bleed.

The question now, is that will Taeyeon be able to come and nurse the wound before it bleeds to death?

???: " $20 thousand going once. $20 thousand going twice. $20 thousand gone! "

Tiffany was brought back to reality by the hammering sound, and she looked up in time to see a diamond necklace being successfully bided.

Tiffany eyes widened at the sight of the diamonds sparkling on the necks, wrists, and fingers of the models. Never in her whole life, never, has she ever seen almost the whole collection of rarest diamonds in the world. She was awestruck by the scene in front of her.

It was as if somebody had shone twenty bright lights at her face, almost blinding her vision.

Taeyeon ( chuckling softly ): "You need to close your mouth."

Taeyeon is shaking her head at Tiffany opened mouth.

Tiffany ( sheepishly ): " Mianhae. "

Taeyeon: " Anything you fancy? "

Tiffany: " They looked like they weighed a million. My neck will break."

That was then that Tiffany wish that she could swallow her words. A model had just walked out, wearing a necklace that was made with little small diamonds forming it. It was simple and yet, elegant at the same time.

???: "The starting bid is $20 thousand." It was announced, and immediately, she saw a man sitting beside them raised his card.

???: " $21 thousand! "

???: " $25 thousand! " Somebody shouted from the back.

???: " $27 thousand! "

Within a few minutes, the bid had already risen from twenty thousand, to a huge sum of forty thousand.

???: $40 thousand!!! "

Tiffany would have to work a few lifetimes to be able to afford this kind of luxury!

Taeyeon: " $80 thousand. "

Everyone in the room gasped sharply, and all heads turned to look at the person who said that. She had offered twice of what others had offered.

Tiffany tried to take in deep breaths, to control herself from bursting. Eighty thousand??!! Her hands trembled slightly at the thought of the money spent on the necklace.

???: " Thank you very much for your generosity Ms Kim."

Taeyeon nodded her head, while Sooyoung accepted the necklace that was kept in the box.

Taeyeon smiled secretly, at the stunned expression on Tiffany face. The moment her eyes lit up when she saw that necklace, she had known that Tiffany was interested in it. Since she was there for charity, she might as well just bid for something that Tiffany liked.

Taeyeon ( whispered ): " Do you like it? "

Tiffany ( stuttered ): " Like... like it? It… It's for m… me? "

Taeyeon cleared , trying to stop the laughter that was trying to burst out of .

Taeyeon didn't answer her, but just sat there watching the auction, occasionally gesturing for Sooyoung to bid for other items. Tiffany noticed that whenever Sooyoung bided for an item, she would wait for the highest bid to be called, before offering double the amount for it, making the opponent shrank back in his seat, not daring to cross their budget.

Tiffany didn't dare think that the diamond necklace was for her. It was too much of a luxury. Something she couldn't afford to have at all.

As the auction ended, they were walking through the exit, with Tiffany keeping quiet and the reporters surrounding them, somebody suddenly stepped out in their way, stopping them. Tiffany stood still, when she recognized the person in front of her. Her eyes widened with surprise, when he smiled at her with opened arms.