Chapter 6

Second Chance..

Tiffany had lost count of the number of times she tossed and turned in bed. For the first time in her life, Tiffany was having difficulties in sleeping. It couldn’t be the fact that she wasn’t used to the bed she was sleeping on now, or was it due to the fact that her bedroom is about two three times bigger than the one at home? If that was the case, then could somebody please explain to her why she was sleeping so soundly for the past few days she had moved in with the Kim family that Nanny had almost sworn that she heard somebody snoring in the middle of the night, the noise coming from her room?

Eyes wide open; Tiffany stared at the flying white curtains from her sleeping position in bed, enjoying the cold breeze blowing towards her.

???: “ Couldn’t sleep? ”

Tiffany eyes widened, and she sat up immediately on the bed, clutching the warm blanket up to her chest.

Tiffany ( Burglars?! )

Tiffany eyes wandering around the room frantically, in search of the owner of the voice. This was getting absurd! Some thief had just broken into her room in the middle of the night, and no one in the family was alarmed at all. Just when she was about to scream out loud with all her might, hoping that the police station down at the hill could even hear her, the person spoke again, this time giving her a clear view of who she was.

Taeyeon: “ It’s me. ” ( flicking on the table lamp on the table )

Taeyeon was sitting in a couch opposite Tiffany on the bed, watching her intently.

Was she still supposed to scream? Her boss was breaking into her bedroom, her privacy! Yet there she sat, staring at her, with no signs or remorse or shame or explanation of why she was there staring at her in the middle of the night.

Tiffany ( voice shaking slightly ): “ What… What are you doing in my room? ”

Taeyeon: “What am I doing in your room? I don’t know. ”

Tiffany: “ You don’t know? ” 

Tiffany stare at Taeyeon with disbelief, slightly open in surprise. How could she not know, when the pair of legs belonged to no one but herself?

Tiffany was about to ask Taeyeon another question, when Taeyeon stood up suddenly, her eyes still looking at her. She drew closer and closer, while Tiffany backed away from her slowly, until Tiffany felt herself leaning onto something. At this moment, Tiffany felt that she couldn’t breathe at all. Her voice was stuck at , and she suddenly felt she had lost the ability to speak. Taeyeon was so close that she could see herself being reflected in her eyes. Tiffany brain wasn’t functioning properly, neither was her heart. Her heart had started pounding quickly against her chest. It was so fast that she felt that she was going to faint any moment.

Taeyeon stared intently at her eyes, before moving backwards to stare at her nose, , her whole face. Taeyeon didn’t know why, but she felt as if her heart was suddenly on fire, as if someone had just set her whole body on fire.

Taeyeon eyes suddenly stared at her opened mouth, and she drew closer to her again. Tiffany lips looked so tempting to her, and she found herself drawing towards Tiffany closer and closer, towards it. As Taeyeon drew closer, Tiffany eyes opened wider, unsure of what she should do.

They were just about an inch away form each other’s face, when Taeyeon slowly closed her eyes, moving towards Tiffany lips.

She’s not Stephanie. A voice in her suddenly said, making her bolt back from Tiffany, her eyes opened hurriedly.

She’s not Stephanie. The voice in Taeyeon head reminded her again, and this time she backed away from Tiffany in such a hurry that she fell off the bed, before she hurriedly scurried through the opened doors of Tiffany room, almost falling onto the ground on her way out.

Tiffany sat still, not daring to move, as if in case Taeyeon would run back to her room again. Only when she heard a loud slam of Taeyeon room’s door, then did she dared to move again, heaving a huge sigh of relief that what almost happened didn’t happen. She immediately ran to close the door and lock it, before collapsing onto the bed.

---

Taeyeon POV

Taeyeon: " YAH?! What I'am thinking of?! I had almost kissed her. I had almost hurt her, like what Yoona had predicted! "

Closing her eyes, she sat up on her bed, before opening them again to stare ahead at the huge picture hung on the wall facing her bed. She had almost hurt someone innocent, someone who wasn’t truly aware of what had happened.

Taeyeon didn’t know what made her went to Tiffany room. She only remembered missing Stephanie terribly, missing her laughter, her smile, her voice, and before Taeyeon knew it, she was already in Tiffany room, sitting opposite her, staring at her.

Getting out of bed, Taeyeon walked towards the large picture, letting her fingers run over the surface of the canvas. It was a picture she had taken with Stephanie on grassland filled with sunflowers. She had gotten someone to enlarge it to the size of a real life portrait, and framed it up, hanging it in her room. They looked so happy in the picture, Taeyeon arms wrapped around Stephanie waist, while she was laughing.

Taeyeon ( whisper ): “ Jeongmal mainhae Steph. I had almost thought that somebody else was actually you.” ( fingers stopping on Stephanie face in the picture. )

---

Taeyeon and Tiffany hadn’t spoken to each other the whole morning, both not knowing what to say to each other. Other than a polite nod at Taeyeon in the morning, Tiffany stood clear of her way throughout the day which was quite hard, considering the fact that they had to see each other almost twenty four hours a day, from home to work.

Finally, when Taeyeon was driving them home, she couldn’t take the silence anymore, and blurted out.

Tiffany: “ Last night… ”

Taeyeon: “ Huh? ” ( slightly distracted, turning to look at her for a second, before concentrating at the traffic in front again. )

Tiffany: “ Were you reminded of her last night? You must be missing her a lot. ”

Tiffany expecting Taeyeon to speak something, but all she did was look ahead, keeping quiet.

Tiffany ( smile and sighed ): “ I used to have a boyfriend too, but we broke up after two years. ”

Taeyeon: “ Waeyo? ”

Tiffany: “ He had to leave for the states. His whole family migrated there.”

Taeyeon: “ What was your reaction? "

Tiffany: “ I cried for about two weeks, before I convinced myself that if we were really meant to be, we will end up together someday.”

Taeyeon: “ I guess the both of you are not together yet now. ”

Tiffany chuckled softly at Taeyeon reply.

They drove all the way home in silence again, not speaking, both lost in their own thoughts. Just when Taeyeon stepped into the house first, Tiffany said something to her that made her stopped in her tracks.

Tiffany: “ I must have resembled Stephanie in some ways or another, or you wouldn’t be avoiding my eyes whenever we speak.”