Chapter 3

Second Chance..

She was standing in a world of darkness, dimly lit, with mist surrounding her. She didn’t wonder where she was, for like the place, her heart was cold and dark. Lifeless. She continued standing there, eyes closed, until she heard someone called out to her.

“Taeyeon” She opened her eyes hurriedly, and saw 'her' waving 'her' hands at her, smiling as she shouted happily for her again. “Tae!”

Taeyeon stretched out her hands, trying to touch 'her', to feel 'her', but when her hands nearly reached 'hers', 'she' giggled and ran away from her. She was a complete opposite to her present self. Taeyeon world was filled with darkness now, while 'hers' was evidently bright with happiness, her face even glowing with radiance.

“Hurry up Tae! Come here!” She called out to Taeyeon again, this time 'she' ran towards Taeyeon and laughed happily. The power of sound was indeed so powerful, that when she heard 'her' giggles and laughter, Taeyeon felt her whole body suddenly becoming so much lighter, as if a heavy load was taken off her back.

Taeyeon tried to reach for 'her' again, but failed as 'she' back away from her again, laughing. She looked on in frustration as she couldn’t reach 'her' no matter how hard she tried.

“Taeyeon…” Her voice echoed in his world, as she was suddenly left standing alone again in darkness.

“NO!!!!” Taeyeon shouted, and suddenly sat up to find herself only in her bedroom, and that 'she' was just a dream.

Wiping the perspiration off her forehead, she buried his face in her hands, depression settling in her. Looking up at the ceiling, her eyes wandered at the ceiling, as if searching for a sign that would tell her what this all means. She had never once dreamt of 'her' in the last three years, but she came into her dream tonight. The first night she spent in Seoul after three years.

Taeyeon remembered the scene vividly three years ago when 'she' left her. 'She' had left so reluctantly, not wanting to leave her alone in sadness. But yet, they couldn’t choose. She wasn’t able to leave with 'her' no matter how hard she wanted to, and 'she' couldn’t stay no matter how hard 'she' fought.

Taeyeon closed her eyes, fighting back the urge to cry. The urge to cry after she left. The tears that threatened to flow three years ago never made their way down her face, no matter how hard they wanted to, for she always kept them at bay, refusing to bow in defeat to fate and refusing to accept the fact that 'she' was gone.

~~~~~~~~~

“Umma?” Yoona walked into Mrs Kim's room, to find her staring at a photograph in silence, her eyes tearing. Curious, she walked closer and gasped when she saw the person in the picture. Whispering softly, she asked, “Umma, where did you get that?”

Mrs Kim: " She looks so beautiful here. So happy and cheerful. ”

Yoona: “ Maybe you shouldn’t let Taeng see this. She won’t be able to take it. You know how she’s like when 'she' left. Sooyoung told me that until today, Taeng still couldn’t forget no matter how hard she pretends in front of us, or how hard she tries. ”

Mrs Kim ( sob ): “ I know. That’s why I’m wondering if Heavens is playing a trick on us again, or are they actually sympathizing with our predicament. ”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dining table was filled with sumptuous food as they each made their way down for breakfast.

Sooyoung ( yawn ): “ Goo… Good morning! ”

Mrs Kim ( smile ): “ Didn’t sleep well? ”

Sooyoung shook her head with a grin.

Sooyoung ( stretch her long body ): “ I slept too well in fact that I’m yearning for more!”

Sooyoung ( reaching for fork and knife ): “ Are you going to the studio later? Want a lift from me? "

Yoona: “ I have my own mode of transport. ”

Sooyoung ( wink ): “ Surely you wouldn’t turn down my offer. ”

Yuri: “ Do not even try to flirt with my wife in front of me. ”

Sooyoung: “ Damn it! You always turned up at the wrong timing!”

The whole table erupted into laughter, as the two person exchanged high-fives and hugged each other.

Yuri ( laugh ): “ You always wished that I wasn’t around, didn’t you? ”

Mrs Kim: " Where's Taeyeon? "

Yoona: “ Let her sleep longer Umma. ”

Doorbell rang

Nanny appeared five minutes later, her face a little pale; as if she had seen something she shouldn’t see.

Nanny ( stuttered ): “Madam, there’s a la… lady by the name of Tif… Tiffany here to see you. She says she’s here to report for work.”

Everyone looked at each other in surprise.

Mrs Kim: “ Bring her to the living room. I’ll be there in a second.”

Yoona ( curious ): “ Who’s that Umma ? "

Yuri: “ I’ve never seen Nanny so scared and pale before. ”

Mrs Kim left the dining room, only to appear again 15 minutes later with a lady behind her.

~~~~~~~~

Taeyeon appeared at the stairs leading down to the dining room. She hadn’t slept all night. Taking in a deep breath, she walked down the stairs, preparing to act cheerful for the sake of her mother later. As she draw closer to the table, she heard gasps from below, followed by a dead silence. A few seconds later, she heard the sound of shattering glass. Hastening her footsteps, Taeyeon hurriedly made her way down.

Taeyeon: “ What’s going on? ”

Taeyeon asked when she saw everyone rooted to their seats, a look of horror and shock on their faces. She saw pieces of fine china shattered below the chair Yoona was sitting on, and found it strange that no one was bothering to clean up the mess.

“Umma what is going…” She turned to ask Mrs Kim, and felt her eyes widened when she caught sight of the puzzled lady standing behind her.

Taeyeon eyes must be playing tricks on her. It must be! That was the only reasonable explanation. What else could it be?

But it can’t be, you know it. She’s gone already, three years ago. A voice in her head reasoned to her.

Closing her eyes, Taeyeon opened them again only to see her still there, looking at all of them with a puzzled and frightened expression.

God, the Heavens must be playing a joke on her! She couldn’t be back, could she? She could have lied about leaving, and come back again after three years. That’s it, Taeyeon convinced herself.

But no one could rise from the dead. You know it. The voice in her said.