Chapter 1

Second Chance..

Tick. Tick. Tick.

Every second went by as Tiffany hurriedly made her way up the slope. She only had 15 minutes left to make it to the door. 14 minutes and 30 seconds to be exact. Panting heavily, she stopped to take a rest at the side of the road, clutching her bag tightly to gain balance of herself.

Who would have thought of living up at the hill? The roads are forever winding here and there, and not to count in the steepness of it, walking up and down would take at least an hour or so everyday. Glancing down at her watch, she gasped when she saw that she had unknowingly rest for a good whole 10 minutes. Swearing under her breath, she hurriedly walked up the slope, trying to take in wide steps.

Finally, she stopped in front of the house, and gripped the metal gates with all her might, trying to catch her breath.

Tiffany ( panted ): “ Made it… Finally… ”

Tiffany swallowed hard to catch her breath and pressed the doorbell.

The gates opened slowly, and a beautiful woman dressed in a black elegant dress walked towards her smiling. She couldn’t help but noticed that the woman was slightly surprised to see her.

??? ( eyes widened slightly ): “ You are? ”

Tiffany ( politely ): “ I’m Tiffany. I’m here for the interview, I hope I’m not late. ”

???: “ Interview… ” The woman thought and muttered softly to herself.

???: “ Right… Interview.. You’re not late, don’t worry. I know this place is hard to find.” Smiling at her, the woman led her into the house by her arm.

Tiffany just stared at her, her mind in a state of blank, unsure of what to do. This lady had caught her by surprise. There was something about this woman that made her feel so warm and welcomed. Tiffany was told that this woman was reaching her fifties already, but she looked no less than forty instead. She was so tall that Tiffany felt like a dwarf standing next to her. Her hair showed no signs of whiteness, and her complexion was wrinkles free.

Mrs Kim: “ Take a seat, I’ll go get you a drink.”

While she was gone, Tiffany shook out of her thoughts and looked round the house. This place was magnificent. When she was waiting outside the gates, she was already very impressed with the size and the exterior design of the house. Only someone as rich as a king could afford this place.

Mrs Kim: “ I’m sorry I have to keep you waiting Tiffany, as my house attendant is on sick leave today, and the butler has gone to do some groceries shopping.” Mrs Kim returned and said with an apologetic smile, handing her a drink.

Tiffany ( smile ): “ It’s alright. ”

Mrs Kim: “ You know what you’re getting yourself into right? ”

Tiffany gave her a confused look.

Mrs Kim ( smile ): “ I mean as a personal assistant. It’s going to be extremely tough I must tell you. My girl is hard to handle. ”

Tiffany ( smile ): “ I understand. Children are usually like this, but don’t worry, I’ll try my best. ”

Mrs Kim ( confuse ): “Bwoh? Children? ”

Tiffany ( confused too ): “ I’m told that I will be looking after some ten year old child, attending to her daily needs.”

Mrs Kim ( laugh ): “ Ten year old? Aniyo, my girl is already 26 this year. ”

Tiffany: “ BWOH?! 26?! ” choking on her drink.

Tiffany: “ You mean the agency has made some mistake? ”

Mrs Kim ( chuckled ): “ I’m afraid so. Don’t worry, I think you’ll be able to handle it. My girl may be hard to handle, but she’s a "gentleman" when it comes to girls. ”

Tiffany: “ But… But… 26… ”

Mrs Kim ( chuckled ): “ You’ll be able to do it. ”

There must be some kind of a mistake! A ten year old is a lot different from a twenty something old person! She wasn’t prepared for this at all! Not mentally prepared at all!

Tiffany stood at the gates half an hour later, her hands shaking slightly. Someone is playing a joke on her. She came all the way here in the hope of taking care of a child, and now, she’s supposed to attend to a twenty six year old’s daily needs! Sighing, she turned and walked slowly down the slopes, thinking of a way out.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Mrs Kim stood at the glass window looking down at the back of the girl just now, who was making her way down the hill now. It seems so right, she thought to herself. The mistake the agency made was too much of a coincidence. Either it was all fated, or heaven may be showing them sympathy to bring Tiffany to this family.

If given a choice, she would rather it was all fated.