Where It Begins [2]

Fantasy Doodles

 

Yerin and Eunbi becomes more inseparable in their year five. Yerin has volleyball practises on Tuesdays and Fridays after school, track and field’s training on Thursdays and tutorials on Mondays and Wednesday. In short, the volleyball captain is super busy in her weekdays, she goes home around ten o’clock every night. She has much less time to hang out with her friends, well technically this situation does not include Eunbi. Eunbi always find time to stay with Yerin, such as staying in the school library to study until Yerin finishes her trainings, just to walk Yerin home. Yerin is actually thankful for Eunbi’s action as in the past, their houses were only two streets across, they often went to the other’s apartments to fool around until late, and it wasn't a problem at all. However, before form five started, Yerin’s parents decided to move, they bought a house in the countryside. Yerin used to take a five minutes’ walk to school but she needed one hour and a half to go to school every morning. It made Eunbi and Yerin lived far away from one another. But Eunbi insists to take the subway with Yerin together every night after the girl’s practises. It takes Eunbi nearly two hours for a round trip that she could go home, but she does not ever once regret her decision. Before Eunbi insisted to go with the girl, once Yerin was going home alone after her tiring trainings, so the girl slept in the subway ride, when she woke up she found herself already at the final destination of the line. Being a person who were afraid of darkness and had no sense of directions at all, Yerin was so frightened that she dialled Eunbi’s number with her shaky hands, she could not even describe where she was clearly on the phone. Eunbi had to take a cap to that station and searched-in-person on every nearby street to find Yerin at last. Since that incident, Eunbi has refused to let Yerin go home by herself.

 

Just finishing one perfect spike, Yerin goes to the side bar and gets herself a drink to have a moment of rest. None of her friends are interested into sports, they never share the joy and excitement Yerin has on the court, but Yerin has lots of good teammates from a lower form of hers, she loves her dongsaengs a lot.

"Yerin unnie, your girlfriend is here for you!" Jihyo comes near and whispers in her captain's ear.

Yerin is confused, "Huh? What? I don't even have one."

Jihyo points at the other side of the court, where the audience stand is. "She comes here every time we practise, buying you drinks and smiling at you every time you score, why would one stay up late at school just to watch you?"

Yerin smacks Jihyo's head, “Pabo ah, that is what friends are for! Don't be jealous that you don't have friends like I do Jihyo ah!"

 

Yerin goes over to Eunbi and greets the girl, "Hey, how long have you been here?"

Eunbi does not look at Yerin but eyes to the other side, "Since you had a little talk with your teammate."

Yerin looks at her best friend interestingly for some seconds, after silence she speaks, "Is my little Eunbi jealous?"

Eunbi still keeps her sight anywhere but Yerin, "I am not yours, and I am not little."

Yerin raises her hand and holds Eunbi's cheek gently, she turns Eunbi's head and forces the latter to look at her, "You did not answer my question."

They hold the staring contest for only god knows how long it is, when Eunbi is going to open , the coach shouts from the other side of the court, "Break time is over girls!"

Yerin puts down her hand which is holding onto Eunbi's cheek, “Half an hour more then I will be done, wait me in the library Eunbi, it is cold here." Then she leaves the girl and goes back to her court.

Eunbi touches her cheeks where Yerin just held onto, she mumbles to herself, "How I wish I could be in the position to be jealous."

 

After half an hour, Yerin goes up to the library to find Eunbi, she sees Eunbi falling asleep on the books with one of her arm as the pillow. Yerin sits down next to Eunbi quietly, not wanting to wake up the girl so soon, she looks at Eunbi's notes, they are full of words and graphs, Eunbi really works hard to catch up with her studies this year, Yerin does not know why Eunbi has such a great change, but she is glad that the girl improves so much, let alone whatever motivation she has. Yerin takes one of the pages, she writes down a few lines before waking the girl in order to go home together.

“All those times that you've devoted won't betray you. Eunbi fighting<3”

 

 

***

 

 

It is a Monday, Yerin remembers, it is a rainy Monday.

 

It is in May already, spring is passing by, the weather is always as wet as hell. These are the days Yerin hates most. The floor is wet, the walls are wet, the feeling of her surroundings are making her sick.

 

After school, Yerin is packing her stuffs before going to her English tutorial classes. She looks at her Chemistry textbook and sight, she is never good at that subject, those chemicals are killing her. She just failed another Chemistry test that afternoon, Yerin was being yelled by the teacher for an hour at lunch break, she did not have time to catch her lunch at last, she was starving now.

“I really hate academics…” Yerin mumbles to herself while walking towards the locker, her locker was located at another building’s third floor. Yerin walks slowly up the staircase. She had just fallen from the slippery stairs last week, she sprained her ankle and the physical therapist told her not to attend any practise for at least a month. Without sports, it is not a life that Yerin could live on, luckily the competitions are not starting until the next semester.

 

Yerin finally arrives at her locker, when she unlocks the drawl, she finds a lunchbox inside, she takes it out and sees a memo on it.

‘Tada! I decided to make myself lunch yesterday, and of course yours as well! Eat well Yerin:)’

Yerin smiles to herself, although there is not any sign or names written on the piece of paper, how could she not know the hand writing? It is not fancy but neatly written, it is the writings whom wrote her lots of lyrics to cheer her up in her toughest days. Just when Yerin is going to close her locker and turns to the stairs again, she is being pulled to the other side of the corridor and meets someone.

“You haven’t eaten that?” Eunbi glares at the girl who is slightly taller than her.

“I got detention this afternoon, I am starving and this is just coming on time, I will eat it now.” Yerin smiles at Eunbi and holds her hand, “Come with me to the canteen?”

Eunbi nods, “But how about your tutorial?”

“I don't feel like going, I want to rest from these stuffs, I am tired Eunbi ah.” Yerin says quietly. Eunbi does not say anything, she squeezes the small hand inside hers and the two walks to the canteen carefully.

 

“You are really a great cook Eunbi ah, you will definitely be a perfect wife.” Yerin grins at Eunbi after finishing her lunchbox, but her facial expressions dimes a little after realizing something. “Your future boyfriend will be really lucky to have you.”

Eunbi does not answer, she stares at the girl in front of her for some moments, “How is your leg?”

“Better than the beginning, it still hurts when I walk, every inch I step is like having a million of pins picking onto my ankle. But it is nothing comparing to my last time, do you remember how bad I fell that time?” Yerin shrugs, well she is used to herself getting those buries and injuries, she is an athlete after all.

“How could I forget that freaking scene!” Eunbi shouts back, “It scared me out of hell! You even cried when your coach needed to carry you back to the bench, I’ve never seen you cry out of pain.”

“You cried as well that day.” Yerin points her finger at Eunbi and laughs at the girl.

“I was worried about you.”

Yerin nods, “I know, it was indeed a really painful one.”

“Please don't hurt yourself anymore Yerin ah, I cannot take it when I see you are in pain. Take care when you practise okay?” Eunbi takes Yerin’s hand which was laying on the table. Yerin flashes a smile as the answer, her eyes turn into a crescent moon, those eye smiles never fails to let Eunbi’s heart skipping a beat, this time maybe two.

After regaining her conscious, Eunbi stands up, “Come on, let’s go to the clinic for your physical therapy.”

 

After arriving at the clinical centre, Yerin goes to the nurses to do her check-ups, then she is being transferred to the training room to work on her ankle with the therapist. Yerin is in the room, moving her feet carefully while Eunbi is leaning on the glass wall which separated the training room and the outside. She could tell Yerin is enduring so much pain when the therapist tries to twist her ankle. The injured girl bites her lips tight and focus on her exercises, the girl looking at her outside feels her heart sinks a little.

 

“You looked worried, Miss.” A nurse passing by says to Eunbi as she sees how concentrated Eunbi is staring at the girl inside the therapy room.

“Ah… yeah, s…she is my friend, I hope she will be fine soon.” Eunbi stutters a little.

“No worries, she will be fine very soon, we have the best therapist here, and also she has you to care for her.” The nurse says joyfully, expressing the word ‘care’.

Eunbi feels a sudden heat rousing in her body, “Haha, yes that is what friends are for.”

The nurse looks at Eunbi for a while before she speaks up again, “Just friends?”

“We could pass to be best friends.” Eunbi smiles confirmatively.

“Even a passing by like me could tell there’s something more, Miss.” The nurse smiles at Eunbi. “I’ve seen the expression on your face when you were looking at your friend earlier, those were the looks of husbands to their wives, girlfriends to boyfriends.”

“Exactly.” Eunbi keeps her eyes fixed on the floor. “We are just two girls, being best friends.”

The nurse pats Eunbi’s shoulders, “Our country may still be a conservative one, but there is nothing wrong in trying to get yourself the one you love. If you don't step up, could you imagine one day another boy snatched her away from you?”

Hearing the word ‘Snatch away’ Eunbi peeks up her head immediately, then she meets a smiling Yerin who is looking at her direction, she is waving at Eunbi. Eunbi returns the smile and mutters, “No, never again.”

“That’s the spirit, keep it up Miss, you two looks perfect together.” The nurse grins, “She will be coming out in a few seconds, I take that as my cue to leave. Good luck Miss!” Then she walked away.

Eunbi thinks of the nurse’s words for some seconds before yelling to the corridor, “Thank you for your advice Miss!” All of the people who are on the corridor looks at Eunbi, the nurse does not turn back, she just waves a ‘fighting’ gesture before leaving the corridor completely.

 

At the same time, Yerin comes out from the training room, “Sorry, it took longer than I expected, are you bored?”

Eunbi shakes her head, “How are you feeling?”

Yerin hums a yes as response, just when she is going to take her school bag and ready to leave the clinic, Eunbi grabs the bag before she could. Yerin raises her eyebrows, not knowing what the girl is doing.

“I'll take that for you, let’s go home, come on.” Eunbi swings Yerin’s bag on top of hers and stretches out her hand.

Yerin takes the girl’s hand, “Eunbi ah I might not be able to control myself not to fall for you if you are always so gentlewoman to me.”

Eunbi does not reply, she just intertwines their fingers together and walks towards the subway station.

 

On their way home, Yerin is sitting near the windows while Eunbi is on the corridor side. When they just sit down, Yerin pulls out her earphones and connects it with her phone. She hands one of the earbuds to Eunbi and wears the other one herself. As songs being played, Yerin soon drifts to dreamland. And since the train is a bit bumpy, Eunbi sees Yerin’s head hits the windows for a few times so she steadies the girl’s head on her shoulder. Eunbi closes her eyes and listens to the music, it was Red Velvet’s ‘Would U’ playing.

 

숨길 없어진 맘은 커져만 가는데   Come on come on come on

Eunbi thinks of Yerin’s words, “Then don't control yourself and fall for me Yerin ah.” Eunbi speaks in her heart.

 

Would you Would you Would you

Eunbi opens her eyes and turns to look at Yerin, “Would you Yerin?”

 

수줍게 간직했던 가슴 비밀  오늘은 이뤄지길 기도해 볼래

Eunbi stares at her best friend’ sleeping figure, Yerin never fails to make Eunbi falls more day by day. She has known her feeling towards to girl two years ago since Yerin told her she was dating. Eunbi felt her world crashed at that moment, she did not fight back then, she promised herself that she would be Yerin’s guardian, protecting her from behind. However, when she sees how Yerin is broken, she knows she could not just let that happened again. ‘If he is not treating her well, I will take up his place.’ Eunbi just could not find the perfectly good timing to tell her best friend how she feels throughout all these years.

 

When the train arrives at their destination, Eunbi pats Yerin’ bangs gently to wake up the girl. Eunbi pulls Yerin out of the train when the latter does not even know where she is. Yerin scrubs her eyes, while walking towards the gate machines. Before she could reach the gates, Eunbi pulls her back.

“Yerin ah.”

“Hmm?” Yerin turns and looks at the girl, they are just almost same height. Eunbi is standing a few steps in front of her.

“You said I’m a perfect cook and my future partner will be lucky to have me, right?” Eunbi speaks up after moments of silence.

“Really really lucky.” Yerin smiles bitterly, she does not know why, but hearing Eunbi says the word ‘future partner’ makes her sad.

“Would you like to be my customer then?” Eunbi looks straight into Yerin’s orbs.

Yerin opens , words do not come out as she wants, she closes it and moments later she opens it again. “Could you ask once again?”

Eunbi steps forward and takes Yerin’s hand, “Would you like to be my girlfriend, my forever, one and only customer?”

“You finally got the courage to speak it out Eunbi ah, I’m glad.” There are tears in Yerin’s eyes.

“You’ve always known?”

“Longer than you could imagine.” Yerin smiles. “I’ve been waiting for you to realise US.”

“Why don’t you just ask me then?” Eunbi glares at the teary girl. “Do you not like me back?”

“No, I don’t like you Eunbi ah, I think I love you already. But I don’t know if myself is ready for another relationship, I am scared that I would ruin our friendship if I screwed us up.” Yerin says shyly, “But you know me better than I know myself, I trust you, if you think I’m ready, then I am sure I am.”

Eunbi pulls Yerin into a hug, “So would you?”

 

“Oh yes I do.”

 

 

()*:・゚

Red Velvet – Would U

발이 조금씩 내게로 천천히   걸음 걸음 가까워지잖아

[I see your feet coming towards me. Step by step, closer to me]

숨길 없어진 맘은 커져만 가는데

[My feelings are growing and I can’t hide it anymore]

Come on come on come on

 

살며시 고개 들어 너를 보면   볼에 살짝 맞춰줘

[When I lift my head and look at you. You softly kiss me on the cheeks]

Would you Would you Would you

Oh yes I do

혼자서 아주 오래 바라왔던   동화 같은 그런 순간이

[Like a moment out of a fable. That I wanted by myself for a long time]

수줍게 간직했던 가슴 비밀   오늘은 생기길 기도해 볼래

[A secret I hid shyly in my heart. I pray that it will happen today]

 

The words in BOLD are the lyrics I used in the chapter, this song is really beautifully written, I fell in love with it. :) By the way, I’ve just finished my school stuffs for January, the chapters would be longer as I am free now and I will be updating all of my fics in this weekend hopefully :P