Green-Eyed

Fantasy Doodles

20-Green Eyed

 

Aimlessly scrolling through Instagram while eating dinner in her room, Eunbi stopped her when she saw a photo. A post made by a certain girl, a girl who had been wandering in her mind for the whole day, a girl who had not contacted her since lunch. Eunbi groaned after staring at the picture for another minute, then she exited the app and threw her phone towards her bed forcefully before leaving her room. It is only the first day Eunbi… you better keep yourself in one piece…

 

Although the two of them had enrolled into the same university, they went for different majors. Yerin was majoring in Journalism and Communication while Eunbi was in the Accountancy department. Each of the departments was offering the new students a 4-days orientation camp, while Yerin’s began first, and Eunbi’s started right after Yerin’s.

 

Coming back into her room after the needed bath to calm down her nerves, with her hair still dripping wet, Eunbi sat down by the mattress and looked at the piece of devices. Holding a staring contest with it for another fifteen minutes straight, the device did not seem to back down at all. And with no sight of receiving any messages from her girlfriend, Eunbi sighted and left her room again.

 

Only when Eunbi was nearly done with drying her hair, she heard her phone rang from the other room. She threw away whatever she was holding and dashed back into her room, shutting the door tightly behind her. She sat down by her bed and picked up the phone.

 

“Hello?”

“Eunbi!!! How have you been today?” Yerin whisper-yelled into the phone. “I am so sorry that I cannot reply you just now, we were on an outdoor mission and my phone went out of battery, I only have it charged once we arrived back at the dorms.”

“It is alright.” Eunbi hummed. “Are you having fun?”

“Yes! My group mates are really nice! I have heard that our department has a really shocking girls and boys ratio, but I never know the difference could be this huge! You know what? We have 6 groups and there are only 1 boy in every groups while there are like 9 girls in the same group. This is something new Bi, I somehow thought I am enrolled into a girl’s school after all.” Yerin exclaimed. “And you cannot imagine how long we have to wait before we can step into the bathroom! There are over 50 girls lining for 4 toilets! I nearly go insane while I was queuing up for my turn just now, with all the sweats, it is getting me nuts.”

“At least you got washed in the end.” Eunbi said softly. “Did you get along well with your groupmates?”

“Yes! Have you not seen my post? I was paired up with the boy in my group today during the news reporting trail competition, and we won the best reporting awards! The professor said the two of us had a great sense and they were looking forward to our performances when the semester begins!”

“I was in the bathroom just now, maybe gonna check it up later.” Eunbi mumbled. Yeah, that picture that he got so close with you… just how can I unsee that.

“I never thought I would be pairing up with him since he is the only boy in our group and lots of girls are already falling for him. Yeah I know it has just been an afternoon, but girls these days move really fast.” Yerin chuckled. “But guess what? When the leader said the boys could choose their partners first as in our department, it is always “Gentlemen first”, he picked me.”

Upon hearing Yerin, Eunbi felt her stomach twisted and turned even more, she did not response, and Yerin did not notice as well, the girl kept sharing her experiences until minutes later.

“We were already so tired and my legs were no longer mine, but then we still needed to sneak into the canteen’s kitchen for some photo proofs. And right there we bumped into the canteen’ boss! You cannot feel how frightened I am, it was when- Hey are you still here Bi?”

 

“Hmm… yeah, I was listening. You went into the canteen and?”

Yerin paused for the first time since she called, “Hmm Eunbi?” She hesitated. “Are you not feeling well?”

“I am fine.”

“Then… is there something wrong?”

“No.”

“Are you mad?”

“No I am not.”

“You definitely are.” Yerin pouted. “Tell me, what’s going on?”

“I said no.”

“I know there is something bothering you when you speak like this… come on, tell me.”

Eunbi rolled her eyes. “Does it matter to you now?”

“Of course it does! If something bothers you I will fight it off for you at instant!” Yerin said, trying to lift up the mood.

“Then why did you have to post that picture?” Eunbi said.

“What picture?”

“The one with his lips nearly kissing you on your cheeks!” Eunbi raised her voice.

“Oh…” Yerin was at a loss of words, she did not know that picture would have such a great impact to affect her girlfriend, Eunbi seldom got mad at these trivial stuffs. “So you did read my post actually.”

“Yes I did.”

“And why are you so bothered by that?” Yerin asked carefully. “He is a just a groupmate Bi, and he is a boy. You should know I am not interested in-”

“Taehyung is also a boy, and you were head over heels for him.” Eunbi replied coldly.

 

Silence took over, no one dare to break the peace. Only moments later, Yerin spoke up. “Why are you bringing him up suddenly?”

“I am only stating the facts.”

“But I thought we agreed not talk about him again? As you said I WERE, it was already in the past why do you have to dig it up?” Yerin shouted. “And you were the one who told me you would give me time to heal!”

“Heck I did. I was patient and supportive and all, but what did I get in the end?” Eunbi yelled, she could no longer suppress her anger.

“What did you get? What had I done now?” Eunbi swore, she heard Yerin sobbing, but she did not care under the moment of heat. “It is just a friendly photo with a friend, and if it really affects you this much you could just tell me and I will delete it at once.”

Before Eunbi could rebut, she heard people calling for Yerin form her end. “Hey Yerin! We are going for a night walk with the other group. Are you up?”

“Enjoy your camp with your new friends. I am heading to bed. Good night Yerin.” With that, Eunbi hung up the phone before Yerin could say her goodbye.

 

True to her words, Eunbi went straight to bed after hanging up the call, and she did not spare another glance at her phone for the rest of the night. She woke up in the middle of the night, or should I rephrase it, she got woken up in the middle of the night as her phone kept ringing and ringing. She blatantly turned her phone off at 4 AM when she can no longer stand with the noise. Right after that, only the air-con’s sound could be heard in the girl’s room.

 

 

***

 

 

The next day when Eunbi switched on her phone again, she found tons of miss calls and unread messages, all sent by none other than her girlfriend.

 

Hey… I am so sorry… I don't know you will be mad about the photo… if only I knew… :’( [00:49AM]

 

Please Eunbi, pick up my calls, I just want to apologize… [00:52AM]

 

I will be calling until you decided to pick up the phone, I am not giving up you know? [01:19AM]

 

Have you slept? [01:46AM]

 

At least send me a goodnight before you go to bed Bi… [02:04AM]

 

I have already deleted the post… I am really sorry Eunbi, forgive me? :( [02:37AM]

 

Eunbi please… I cannot sleep without a proper message from you… [03:28AM]

 

I know you are still awake… you just turned off your phone didn't you? [04:08AM]

 

Eunbi please… I am begging you… :( [05:29AM]

 

What do you want me to do Eunbi? [06:24AM]

 

Day 2 will start in five minutes, we are going out for city hunting today. You are still sleeping right? I hope to hear from you after you wake up Bi, and good morning by then... :) [07:54AM]

 

Although Eunbi was still mad, her heart sunk when she knew Yerin stayed up for the whole night just trying to get her to talk. She said she was already tired after the whole day activities yesterday… urggg you dumb Hwang Eunbi why didn’t you just send her something before you shut down your phone?

 

She slowly clicked onto the keyboard and wrote her reply, right before she could send out her message, she received a notification from Instagram.

 

@yerinieeeeeee tagged you in a post

 

Eunbi frowned to herself, thinking what was the other girl doing while waiting for the post to load.

 

“It is only you, and it will always be you.<3 @heb603”

It was a picture which Yerin was carrying Eunbi piggy back with the sunset at the back. Both of the girls were smiling happily at the camera. Eunbi remembered that day, where the two of them spent the entire day at the beach, it was one of Eunbi’s favorite date with her girlfriend.

 

After double clicking at her screen, Eunbi switched to the call pad and phoned the number which had been trying to reach her for 52 times the night before. Out of her expectation, no one picked up the call. Wasn’t she on her phone minutes ago? Or maybe the activities have already started?  Eunbi resorted in sending her morning message to Yerin before leaving her bed. Then she tried to call Yerin again after freshening herself up. Still, her call was sent to the voicemail.

 

Just when Eunbi was having a debate with herself whether she should leave a voicemail or not, her phone rang. Thinking that it was Yerin calling her back, she picked up the call without read the name of the caller.

 

“Yerin?”

“Eunbi?” Hearing a different voice, Eunbi quickly peeked at her screen and only found an unexpected name shown on her screen.

“Umm… Morning Mrs. Jung, why are you calling me in the early morning-“

“The hospital called us, Yerin was hit by a car when she was crossing the road.” Yerin’s mom said with a shivering voice. “She was sent to the hospital.”

 

Eunbi’s mind went blank for seconds, she even looked at the calendar that hung on the wall to check if it was April’s fool.

“Eunbi? Are you still with me?”

“…”

“Eunbi??”

Eunbi quickly ran back into her room and grabbed her jacket. “Which hospital is it?”

 

 

***

 

 

“It is only some light scratches that I got cut from the fences mom, you daughter has great reflexes you know? The digging practices pay off after all.” Yerin joked as trying to calm her mother down and to lift up the seriousness in the ward.

“You lost so much blood that they have to patch you up with five needles Yerin! FIVE! How can you not look before crossing the road?”

“I was caught up in something that moment-”

“JUNG YERIN!”

 

The ward door was slammed to the side and a girl who was panting appeared, she stood at the doorway, halted, not getting a step closer to the bed. Two pair of eyes locked at each other intensively, but no one broke away.

“Hey Eunbi, I’m glad you finally came.” The oldest among three was the one to cut the staring, she said as she stood up. “I have a meeting at ten, so I need to go now. Please look after Yerin for me.”

“I will auntie, leave that to me.” Eunbi squeezed her every facial muscle to give out a small smile as the woman walked towards the door.

The two pair of eyes followed the woman’s steps, when the door was closed again, before she could notice, Yerin found herself already being kept in a pair of arms.

“Are you still mad?” Yerin asked gently, trying hard to fold her arms in order to reciprocate the hug. She felt the girl nodded on her shoulders, Yerin sighed. “What can I do for you to forgive me? I have already deleted the post this morning, Eunbi I am really-”

“No, I am mad at myself, I was so mad. When auntie told me you were hit, my mind went blank, I don't know what to do. I am so scared that I have lost you, I cannot imagine living a life without you. And the worst part is I knew this all happened because of me. If you were not posting our picture on Instagram, you would not focus on your phone, so you would not be hit. Also, if you did not stay up all night calling me, you would be more attentive to see the car coming. It was all because of me, what if you did not dodge at the last moment and got hit seriously? The last thing I did was to hang up on you, I cannot forgive myself if anything really happened to you… I cannot lose you…”

“Shuuuu… I am all right and here I am, you did not lose me, and you will never lose me Eunbi.” Yerin tried to calm the girl down. “Hey look at me, Eunbi look. I am right in front of you now, nothing has happened, see? And it is not your fault alright? It’s me who being careless while crossing, so stop blaming yourself okay?”

 

Yerin held Eunbi’s chin up in order to make their eyes met. Through Eunbi’s watery eyes Yerin could see her own reflection in those orbs. She then remembered the saying.

If you can see yourself from one’s orbs, it is because you are the brightest thing they see in their lives.

Yerin knew, she knew Eunbi loves her.

 

“You are mad at me, because you value me. It is a good thing to be mad, you know?” Yerin beamed her eyes into a crescent, “You actually seldom show your jealousy, and sometimes I wonder if I am not important to you that you could trade me off to others. Showing that you are mad, that you are jealous, it is totally okay Bi, everyone has their emotions and you can always tell me about your side. Just promise to hear me out next time even you are mad, alright?” Yerin patted Eunbi’s forehead slowly, eyes still locked with Eunbi’s eyes.

Eunbi could only nod, she did not know what she did in her past life to deserve such a blessing in her current life. She needed to make sure she did the same good stuffs in this life else she could not meet Yerin again in her next. She tightened her grip around Yerin’s hip and smiled for the first time of the day.

 

“I love you, I love you so much.”

Yerin’s gaze then moved downwards towards the girl’s lips, she leaned in and closed the gap between the two with a chaste kiss.

With their eyes still closed, Yerin pressed their foreheads together. “I love you too.”

 

 

()*:・゚

Long time no see guys, thank you for those who re-visit the story even I have been on hiatus since long ago. Every time I saw there is a new comment it’s one ounce more motivation to get me start writing again

Haven't written anything for long and I am not really sure if I can still write, hope you guys enjoy the dribbles

Till next time, I will see you all around :>

CC: littleryan