Dreams and Reality

A Second Chance At Love

“Hyung!”

Siwon turned around and came face to face with his younger brother, Minho.

“Minho!”

Siwon was so glad to see his beloved younger brother again. If there was anyone in the family that Siwon treasured the most, it would be Minho. Minho was like the younger version of him. They were both so alike in many ways. They were known to be handsome, athletic, and intelligent and were well liked by most people they met. But Minho was much more introverted than he is and does not like to talk much. Minho did not have many friends. Thus, Siwon has an extra soft spot for him and always tries to encourage him to be more sociable.

He pulled Minho into a brotherly embrace and patted him firmly on the back.

“You’ve grown so much taller and fitter. You are as big as me now!”

Minho smiled weakly.

“I’m glad that you’re back, Hyung.”

Just as they stepped back from each other, the house door opened and Sulli entered. Her eyes widened as she stared at the older brother she had missed so badly for the past eight years.

“Oppa!”

Sulli exclaimed in an aegyo-filled voice as she flung herself into his arms. Thankfully Siwon was strong enough to take the impact or they would have fallen on the floor. Siwon laughed heartily as he gently rubbed her head.

“You’re such a pretty young lady now!”

Sulli looked at him as tears brimmed in her eyes. She then smacked him playfully on the shoulder.

“You abandoned me for the past eight years, you evil Oppa! Do you know how much I missed you?”

Siwon sighed and ruffled her long, straight hair.

“You silly girl, I’m back and won’t be leaving any time soon.”

The servant took his luggage up to the room as the family enjoyed their reunion.  Siwon was silently thankful that no one in the family bears a grudge against him for leaving them like that. He was initially apprehensive about coming back as he was afraid to be rejected. All these years, he would be lying if he said he did not want to come home. But finally, he made the bold move because he had no choice. But in his heart, he now knows that he has made the best decision just by seeing the exhilarated looks on his family’s faces.

--------------------------------

A month had passed by since Yuri left Siwon’s apartment. She had gone back to the routine of her life. But she was much happier and glowing with love every day. As the saying goes, a woman is most beautiful when she is in love. She tended to the flowers in the garden which seem to be blooming so well. Being in good spirits was improving her condition. Yuri has never felt so joyful ever since Yoona’s accident.

But she was starting to miss him a little. He had told her that he would need time to settle her problem and it was best that they made less contact in this time period. He did not give her a definite deadline but Yuri waited. However, in this one month, he had not called her and visited her. Yuri was starting to worry that something was wrong but she told herself not to be silly and have faith in him.

“Yuri!”

Yuri broke out of her trance and looked at the source of the voice. It was her husband, Sungmin.

“Yuri, we need to attend a ball tonight. One of my business partners is going to announce the new CEO who will be taking over his company. It’s an important event so you have to be there.”

Yuri nodded and replied, “Sure. I haven’t been to one for months anyway.”

Sungmin excused himself to prepare for it as Yuri retreated to her bedroom to pick out her outfit. She looked through her walk-in wardrobe lined with all the biggest brand name clothing, shoes, handbags and hair accessories. Yuri knew she would have to part with all these when she leaves Sungmin but she is prepared for that. She was never after the fortune anyway, despite being married to a rich man. She thought about how her life will be with Siwon after she leaves Sungmin. Yuri envisioned her house to be small but cosy. Siwon will go to work and come home to her wearing an apron, having cooked dinner for him. It would be nice if they had children to liven up the atmosphere. In the night, the family can gather around the television and enjoy a show together with laughter and merry. A bright smile formed on her face.

--------------------------------

As Sungmin and Yuri stepped into the hotel ballroom, all eyes turned to them and gawked with envy. Sungmin had a bright smile on his face with his arms around the waist of a stunning beauty. Yuri was wearing a pale blue silky night gown which showcased her curvy body. Her hair was straight and there was a sparkling diamond necklace around her neck. Yuri waved politely as everyone could not take their eyes off her.

Her friend, Taeyeon, who was there as well with her husband, Leeteuk, came up to them with him by her side.

“Yuri, you are so gorgeous! I am so envious of your figure!”

Taeyeon exclaimed with a childish innocence. Taeyeon is probably Yuri’s closest acquaintance among her circle of high society ‘friends’ because she is the most simple-minded. Taeyeon came from a humble background just like Yuri before her marriage to her college sweetheart, Leeteuk, who made a fortune after graduation.  However, Yuri had built a wall around her which was so high that even Taeyeon could not get close to her.

Leeteuk laughed.

“Taeyeon dear, you have the best figure in my eyes.”

Yuri and Sungmin laughed politely as Taeyeon looked at Leeteuk with doubt in her eyes and playfully hit him on the chest.

Just as the two couples were having a delightful conversation sipping cocktails, the ballroom lights dimmed and the spotlight shone on the stage. Everyone clapped as the CEO of Choi Hotel Corporation stepped up on the podium and started to speak.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I thank you for gracing this event with your presence. Today, it is a milestone in the history of Choi Hotel Corporation as I would be announcing the new CEO who will be replacing me with effect from today. As you all know, the Choi Hotel Corporation was passed down to me by my father when it had only one hotel under its name. Today, we have twenty hotels located in Asia-Pacific, America and Europe. I will now pass on the baton of responsibility to further expand our business to my eldest son. Let’s give him a warm round of applause as he makes his first speech!”

The attendees of the event clapped again as the speaker stepped down from the podium and the new CEO stepped up. Yuri was happily sipping her apple martini and did not keep her eyes on the stage.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I thank you for all your support. Let me introduce myself. I am Choi Siwon. It is my pleasure to stand before all of you to speak in my new capacity of CEO of the Choi Hotel Corporation.”

Yuri’s eyes widened as they fell on the figure onstage and as her ears registered the name she just heard. That voice she just heard was the same voice that comforted her a month ago. Yuri froze in silence as she just stared blankly at Siwon, unable to absorb anything that he was saying.

‘He’s the heir to Choi Hotel Corporation. Wait, so he’s not just a psychiatrist? He’s the heir to Choi Hotel Corporation. He’s going to be Sungmin’s business partner...’

Many thoughts ran through Yuri’s head as she tried to process the new, shocking information. The man she loved was not as simple as she had thought he was.

‘No wonder he was so sure he could find a solution to my problem. He’s rich, hell, he’s filthy rich.’

If Yuri remembered correctly, the amount of assets owned by the Chois greatly exceeded the Lees. Choi Siwon was much richer than Lee Sungmin. He’s probably the top three richest men in Korea. He’s probably the most eligible bachelor in the market now.  Yuri’s head started to feel heavy as she realized what was happening. Her dreams of a simple life with Siwon were probably not going to happen.

Yuri laughed bitterly inside.

‘You naïve girl, maybe he'll stop loving you. You’re not good enough of him. You’re just a simple girl with a mental problem and a sick sister.’

Yuri does not know why she was having such thoughts. It was as though she forgotten her promise to trust him.

She broke out of her trance as once against everyone broke out into a rounding applause and Siwon stepped down from the podium. The lights were again as everyone started to head for the dinner tables.

“Are you alright, Yuri?”

Sungmin asked as he tapped her on the shoulder. Yuri was a little pale by now and feeling quite weak.

“I’ll like to take a walk outside. I need some fresh air.”

She let go of Sungmin’s arm and rushed out of the ballroom.

--------------------------------

I'm sorry that this is not a very exciting chapter and there's no Yulwon interaction. :P