Foolish

A Second Chance At Love

Yuri was angry with herself for her pathetic behavior that night with Siwon. She would normally not be so agitated and jump to conclusions so easily. But ever since that incident and her subsequent marriage to Sungmin, Yuri started to have erratic mood swings, became easily irritable and nursed a whole lot of other negative feelings. She knew something was wrong with herself and that was why she decided to seek medical help. But her previous doctor for one month was not of any help to her and instead she felt her condition getting worse.

But then came along Siwon. She was actually starting to lose hope that she can be treated but her friend, fellow socialite, Kim Taeyeon, mentioned that she had post-natal blues which were cured quickly by Dr Choi Siwon. So Yuri decided to give him a try. He did have a way with her that could make her smile more in a day than she did in a month. But Yuri was now worried that he would be upset with her for walking away from him like that. She likes being with him and she wanted them to at least be friends, despite it not being part of his job scope.

Yuri had her next appointment with Siwon scheduled at 8am in the morning but Yuri wanted to have some personal time to talk to him so she arrived at 7am. The clinic was still not opened so Yuri stood outside to wait.

“What a fool you are, Yuri.”

She mouthed to herself.

“Yuri? What are you doing here so early?”

Yuri was startled by the sudden deep voice which was approaching her. Siwon, who was wearing a well ironed blue polo shirt, came up towards her with a baffled expression. Yuri was lost for words at that moment and tried to think of a good way to bring her point across.

“I wanted to talk to you…”

“Come inside,” he said as he opened the door with his key and led her to his room.

He came back with two cups of hot coffee and handed one to her.

“Have some freshly brewed coffee. I made it myself since my receptionist isn’t here yet.”

Yuri took the coffee and sipped it. It warmed her heart and gave her some courage. She looked at him with an earnest expression.

“Dr Choi, I hope you will not be angry with me for my rude behavior that day. I’m sorry I can’t control my emotions at times. I get agitated so easily. I know you didn’t mean to offend me in any way.”

Siwon looked at her and chuckled.

“I’m not angry with you. I understand why you acted that way.”

“You do?”

“Yes, it’s natural for someone with depression to act that way. I’m your doctor and I have to be empathetic to your condition.”

‘No you idiot, you don’t understand.’

Yuri’s tone became serious as she looked at him with an expressionless face.

“Ok, I’m sorry doctor for bothering you early in the morning. I understand you only start work at 8am so I’ll make myself disappear for the next 45 minutes.”

Shocked by her drastic change in emotions, Siwon was lost for words for a moment but told himself he’s not going to let her walk away just like that again.

“We’re friends right, Yuri?”

“You said you’re just my doctor. You scrutinize every word I say and every move I make under your microscope. I’m just your patient you’re trying to help. Hell, I don’t even know why I’m getting so emotional around you. It’s as if my life is not complicated enough.”

She placed her hands on his solid chest and started hitting him. She’s so small and weak compared to him. However much strength she could exert, it was not much pain to him.

“Kwon Yuri, listen. I want to help you get better because I care for you. I really want to be friends with you but I have to be professional about this. You don’t know how much I want to give you a big hug and tell you everything will be ok. But I can’t do that. I can’t take advantage of you because I know you’re emotionally weak…”

Yuri stopped hitting him and looked at him with a softened expression. They looked at each other as an air of awkward silence enveloped the room. Before he got lost in his thoughts, Siwon broke the silence.

“Tell me more about your films, I really enjoy watching them.”

They sat down on the couch and had a great time talking about her films. Siwon told her his favorite film was the one where she played the role of an international spy. Yuri was very amazed as that was her favorite role as well. She started telling him all the interesting incidents that happened during filming, the dangerous stunts she had to pull off despite being afraid and the numerous fans she gained after the screening.

“I really liked my outfit in the last scene where I chased the villain up a building wearing a tight black evening gown and high heels. It was so tiring, I had no idea how I completed the scene! I thought my feet were going to break!”

“You looked gorgeous and your hair was still neat after that. You are probably the hottest spy in South Korea!”

Yuri blushed at his compliment as Siwon cleared his throat after realizing what he had said. The clock sounded 8am at that moment which made him jump nervously.

“I guess we can start with the consultation now,” he said quickly before he put on his doctor coat and took her file out.

Yuri decides to seeing how nervous he was just by complimenting her. She was overjoyed inside her heart; at least she knew he was attracted to her physically.

“You have to answer me first; do you think my husband is gay?”

“Well, I... would think it’s hard for a man to be gay with a wife like you.”

Honest Siwon does not know how to lie. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat as he glanced at Yuri timidly.

“You’re wrong.”

“Then why do you stay married to him? You said you’re not interested in money and yet you’re keeping up this sham marriage.

Siwon spoke in a rather agitated tone as he was curious what was up with Yuri. He could tell she’s not a gold-digger like most film stars who seek to marry rich men. But yet she agreed to this demeaning contract marriage which made her visibly upset.

Yuri sighed.

“Nobody understands but I hope you would.”

“You have to let me inside your world and I will understand.”

“Let me take you somewhere this time.”

---------------------------------

They arrived at Ward 12 of St. Angel Hospital which was situated somewhere near Yuri lived. They had not spoken throughout the journey and Siwon was burning with curiosity to be let into a part of her world.

Yuri opened the door to a single room and he follows her in. A young woman who strangely resembled Yuri was sleeping on the bed peacefully like an angel with a machine attached to her. Her head was wrapped up in a bandage but she had long flowing hair neatly combed.

“This is my younger sister, Yoona. She got into a car accident about a year ago and suffered head injury. At that time, the doctor said she would die if the blood clot in her brain was not removed soon. It was at a very dangerous spot so most doctors were not confident of conducting a successful operation. I had no choice but to fly in a brain specialist from the United States. He charged an exorbitant fee. I paid with all my savings but it was still not enough. At that time, I was approached by Sungmin’s parents to marry him in name. It was as if heaven presented a solution to me to save my sister’s life. I had to agree.”

As Yuri spoke, tears started to roll down her cheeks. Siwon’s heart ached for her as he put his arm around her shoulder to comfort her.

“After the operation was over, the doctor said he had removed the blood clot. But Yoona remained in a coma till this day. He said she might wake up in a year’s time, in ten years or maybe never. Since then she had been sleeping here in the hospital which is a huge financial burden. My in-laws continue to pay her hospital bills for me and even fly the brain specialist back to Seoul once a year to check on her condition. I am so indebted to them, I can never repay them. The least I could do was to fulfill their wish which was to stay married to Sungmin despite it being a loveless marriage.”

He kept his arm around her as that was the only thing he could do as a friend.

“I feel so lonely in this world now that Yoona is temporarily away from me. Don’t let go of me, Siwon.”

“I won’t, I will be here for you.”

He used his fingers to wipe the tears away from her beautiful face which was now stained with mascara and eyeliner. He looked at her with so much love and care in his eyes which allowed Yuri to know that she is truly not alone. He wanted to kiss her so badly but he did not want to frighten her away. He was not sure whether she felt the same way as him as they looked into each other’s windows to their soul. But he was taken aback when he felt her soft lips pressed on his lips. Before his mind could make sense of what was happening, she pulled back.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that.”

She ran out of the room as he remained rooted to the same spot.

‘What the hell just happened here Siwon, your goddess just kissed you and you didn’t respond to her kiss. You’re a fool, pabo!’

---------------------------------

Happy Valentine's Day!