Delightful Surprises

A Second Chance At Love

I lost two of my chapters due to the server crash :( I have retyped them out now. There could be slight changes in the style of writing but the plot is essentially the same. Sorry about that.

------------------------------------

Three weeks have passed since that fateful day when Minho found out about Siwon and Yuri’s relationship. Even though Minho was heartbroken, he put on a strong front to Yuri and they met every week at the hospital to play with the sick children. Yuri had a good impression of Minho and she treated him as a friend.

Every night without fail, Siwon would call Yuri and they would have a short chat. Even though Yuri missed Siwon a lot, she tried to keep herself occupied with other things to stay happy.

One afternoon, she received a call from someone she had not heard from for about a month.

“Hello!”

“Hello Yuri! It’s me, Taeyeon!”

Yuri was shocked to hear the voice coming from the other side of the line. None of her high society friends had taken the initiative to call her since her separation from Sungmin.

“Taeyeon…”

Yuri trailed off as she was not quite sure of Taeyeon’s intention for calling her out of the blue.

“Yuri, I really miss you. Even though you stopped joining us for high tea and shopping, I really wish to meet up with you. You’re such a nice, charming friend.”

Yuri felt surprised yet touched at the same time to still have a friend from a circle that she thought would never want to be associated with her again. Taeyeon was indeed different from the other snobbish socialites that she used to spend most of her time with. They fixed a place to meet for coffee that afternoon.

“How have you been, Yuri?”

Taeyeon asked in a concerned voice as she hugged Yuri. They took a seat and ordered cappuccino.

Yuri replied, “My life has been quite different but I’m happy.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“I’m not quite sure what happened between you and Sungmin but I really hope you will eventually find your true happiness.”

Yuri contemplated whether to tell Taeyeon the truth. She felt that Taeyeon was a simple minded woman who would probably help her keep it a secret.

“I have a boyfriend and I’m really happy with him.”

Taeyeon’s eyes shot wider.

“Wow Yuri, that’s fast.”

Yuri laughed bitterly.

“Well, I’ll tell you the truth. My marriage to Sungmin was a contract based on monetary terms. I needed a big sum of money at that time because my sister got into an accident. We were never in love and behave like friends in our home. I met a guy whom I fell madly in love with a few months ago and we’re together now. Sungmin knows about him and he gives me his blessings.”

Taeyeon bit her tongue and kept quiet, not being sure how to respond to this shocking news. This would make big headlines if the tabloids ever find out about it.

Yuri held on to Taeyeon’s held.

“I trust you, Taeyeon. Please don’t let anyone know, not even Leeteuk.”

Taeyeon smiled reassuringly and squeezed Yuri’s hand tightly.

“I won’t. So who’s the lucky guy?”

Yuri smirked.

“You’ve seen him at the ball we last attended. He was onstage and addressed the crowd.”

“Choi Siwon?”

Taeyeon asked in shock and almost spit out her coffee.

“He was just listed as the number one desirable bachelor in Korea by a magazine. You’ve got a good catch, Yuri.”

Yuri shrugged her shoulders.

“He was just a psychiatrist when I first met him. It’s funny how fate works. His company turns out to be a close business partner with my husband’s.”

Yuri waved the waiter over and ordered a blueberry cheesecake, which came as a shock to Taeyeon.

“Yuri, you hated cheesecakes! Why have you suddenly changed your taste?”

“I started craving for it since last week. I don’t understand it either. My appetite has been enormous of late. I have to eat four meals a day to satisfy my stomach.”

Taeyeon eyed Yuri suspiciously with a playful smile on her face.

“You sound like me when I was pregnant.”

Yuri choked on her coffee and coughed wildly. She gave the matter some thought and realized Taeyeon might be spot on. Her period had been late for two months, while the sudden craving for cheesecake which she hated her entire life and the unexplained increase in appetite was odd.

Yuri pressed her palm on her forehead and felt a headache coming.

Taeyeon placed a hand on Yuri’s shoulder.

“You should get it checked. No matter what, I’ll be supporting you. It’s tough to go through a pregnancy and you’ll need all the support you can get.”

“Thanks Taeyeon.”

------------------------------------

Yuri went to the hospital and her suspicions were confirmed.

“Congratulations, Miss Kwon. You are two months pregnant.”

Yuri felt happy yet nervous at the same time. She was thankful to be blessed with their love child, a product of their passionate love making. But she was worried that Siwon might not want the child since it was her foolish idea to play Russian roulette with her body and have unprotected .

Yuri walked into Yoona’s hospital room with a bouquet of flowers and placed it on the side table.

“Hello Yoona, it’s me again.”

She took a seat by Yoona’s bedside and held her hand.

“Yoona, I just found out yesterday that I’m going to have a baby. I’m so scared and excited at the same time. I have not told the baby’s father because I’m not sure how he is going to react to this news. The baby was an accident which was mainly my fault. Yoona, wake up soon and you can play with my baby when it’s born. You always told me how much you love kids and one day if we have children, they can grow up and play together.”

Yuri stood up and brushed her hair through Yoona’s long hair. Just then she saw Yoona’s eyelids starting to twitch as she seemed to be gathering some strength to open them. Yoona’s lips also seem to make some slight movement.

“Oh my God! She’s moving!”

Yuri exclaimed as she quickly hit on the emergency button. The doctor and a nurse rushed into the room as they watched Yoona’s eyes open slowly.

“Yoona, you are awake!”

Yuri placed her hands on Yoona’s shoulders as tears started to stream down her face. Yoona stared blankly at the ceiling and then focused on Yuri’s crying face. A small smile formed on her face as she looked at her elder sister.

“This is a miracle,” the doctor said in shock.

The nurse rushed Yuri out of the room as the doctor needed to conduct a check on Yoona’s condition. As Yuri stood outside the hospital room, she clenched her fists together and said a prayer to thank her God.

---------------------------------------

Yuri hurried into the room after the doctor and nurse had done a thorough check on Yoona’s body. Her body was functioning well and nothing was damaged during the accident.

“Yoona!”

Yuri hugged Yoona who was now seated on the bed as she cried tears of joy. Yoona held her elder sister closely to her as she sobbed uncontrollably as well. The two sisters who were closely bonded were overjoyed to have each other by their side again.

“Yoona, I miss you so much. I am so glad you are awake,” said Yuri as she wiped the tears off her face and helped Yoona wipe hers as well.

Yoona nodded profusely.

“I’m sorry Yuri; I have been a burden to you. I’m sorry you had to go through an unhappy marriage just to pay for my medical bills. I promise you I will return you back everything once I am alright.”

Yuri was shocked and asked, “How did you know about that, Yoona? You heard everything I said to you?”

“Yes, I can hear everything you say to me. All the times when you sat by my bedside and cried helplessly to me, I wanted to gather the strength to wake up and comfort you but I couldn’t. Thank you Yuri, you are the best!”

Yuri ruffled her hair and laughed.

“You are a silly girl. I promised Appa and Omma when they died that I will take care of you for the rest of my life. It is my responsibility to take care of you.”

Yoona touched Yuri’s flat tummy.

“So I’m going to be an Aunt?”

She asked in a cheerful voice as Yuri blushed.

“Yes, I am two months pregnant. I haven’t told the father yet though; he’s still in America and would not be back so soon. I can’t wait for you to meet him; he’s such a gentleman and loving man.”

Yoona grinned.

“Well, you could go to America and pay him a surprise visit. You always wanted to go to America; you can have a nice tour there with him as well!”

Yuri smiled. Yoona always came up with spontaneous plans like this which amazes Yuri. However, this time round she was seriously considering it. It would be a pleasant surprise for Siwon and a good time to break the news to him.