The Aftermath

A Second Chance At Love

Mr Choi’s surgery finally came to an end as the doctor and nurses exited from the surgery room. Siwon, Minho, Sulli and Mrs Choi rushed up towards the doctor.

“How is my husband?”

Mrs Choi asked in a weak and tired voice as Sulli supported her mother from falling onto the floor.

The doctor shook his head.

“Mr Choi is in a very bad condition. Even though he survived, he will probably be bedridden and paralyzed. I’m not sure if he will be able to talk as of yet. We have to wait till the anesthesia wears off tomorrow morning before we conduct a further evaluation of his condition.”

“Paralyzed?”

Mrs Choi fell to the ground as her knees buckled. Hot tears streamed down her cheeks as she placed her hands on her face. Sulli tried to hold her up but Mrs Choi had absolutely no strength to stay on her feet.

“Omma, I’m sorry,” said Siwon as he placed her hand on her shoulder.

“I really didn’t know things were going to be this bad.”

Siwon knew he was the cause of his father’s predicament and felt deeply apologetic. He hit his head against the wall and closed his eyes as the harsh reality settled in.

“Hyung, you have to be strong for Omma,” said Minho as he grabbed Siwon by the shoulder and made him face him.

“I’m too selfish, right? I should have just listened to Appa and agree to marry Tiffany. Things won’t be like this now.”

Minho shook Siwon by the shoulder.

“No one knew that things will become like that. You are not obliged to save the company with your freedom. What would happen to Yuri and the baby if you agreed to the arranged marriage? It was a tough decision you had to make and either way you were going to hurt someone you love. You cannot blame yourself for what has happened.”

Mrs Choi got up on her feet and marched towards Siwon, before planting a big slap on his face.

“You are such an unfilial son. How dare you disobey your father’s orders for a woman? It almost cost your father his life and now the company which is his sweat and blood is going down the drain as well, thanks to you. You can leave this family, we don’t need you anymore. I will never give you and the my blessings as well.”

Mrs Choi was visibly agitated and wanted to hit Siwon again but Minho refrained her from doing so.

“Hyung, leave for now. We’ll talk again when Omma has calmed down.”

Siwon looked at Minho and Sulli who both were struggling with their mother. He felt like the worst son on earth and dropped his head as he walked away.

----------------------------------------

Siwon went home, packed up all his stuff and headed back to his apartment. As he opened the door, he saw Yuri sitting by the couch in front of the television. She turned her attention to him and ran towards him.

“Siwon, I saw the news about the magazine and your father’s condition. I’m so sorry, Siwon. I’m the cause of everything. If you had not fallen in love with me, this would not have happened. I feel so bad for your father. It’s my fault.”

 Siwon did not say a word. He put his arms around Yuri and leaned his face against her head.

“We’re all alone here. I have moved Yoona to a hotel for the time being until the situation is better. I am afraid we’re being stalked at this moment as well so its best that Yoona stay out of the mess.”

“Let’s go to the bedroom,” Siwon suggested.

They entered the bedroom, shut the windows and pulled the curtains. They cuddled under the blankets as Siwon rested his head on her chest.

“Yuri, you’re all I have now. The Choi Hotel Corporation has been ruined in my hands. My mother doesn’t want me anymore.”

Tears threatened to fall from his eyes but Siwon told him that he cannot be such a wuss to shed tears in front of Yuri. He choked back his tears and closed his eyes.

“Siwon, you don’t have to pretend to be anyone else in front of me. Just let it go.”

Yuri his cheek as she felt the tears on her fingers.

“As long as you still want me by your side, I’ll be here for you and so will our baby.”

“Hi baby, I hope you will not think that daddy is a failure.”

Yuri wiped his tears away and kissed him on the forehead. Siwon’s eyelids started to get heavy and he fell asleep in Yuri’s embrace as she his hair.

----------------------------------------

The sunlight penetrated the curtains and signaled the arrival of the next morning. Siwon woke up from his sleep and found that he was still in the same position. Yuri had fallen asleep in a sitting position and Siwon carefully lay her down on the bed. He looked at her with a small smile on his face. Even though he had only known her for a few months, Yuri was so special to him and he realized how much he had given up in his life just to be with her. But he had absolutely no regrets and would choose the same actions even if he had another chance. He still does not understand why he was so crazily in love with her. He pulled the blankets up to cover her shoulders and kissed her on the lips.

“Good morning, Siwon,” she said with a bright smile on her face as her eyes opened.

“I’m sorry I woke you up.”

“Are you better?”

Yuri asked as she got up and sat next to Siwon.

“Siwon, I hope you won’t be angry with me. I’m partly responsible for the tabloid photographs.”

“What do you mean?”

Siwon looked at her with a baffled expression.

“My friend, Taeyeon called me yesterday. She was the closest friend I had so I confided in her about us because I trusted her. But she told me she let it slip about us to her husband, Leeteuk. Turns out he had photographs of us in Lotte World already and with Taeyeon’s confirmation of our relationship, he sent his paparazzi to stalk us in America.”

Siwon held Yuri’s hand.

“I won’t be angry with you. You let your guard down to the wrong person and got betrayed by a friend. You have to be more careful next time, Yuri. There are few people we can trust in this world.”

Yuri hugged Siwon and sobbed. Just at this moment, her cellphone rang. She picked up the phone and greeted the other party in a trembling voice.

“Yuri, this is Sungmin. I have the divorce papers prepared and signed. You can go down to Mr Lee Donghae, our family’s lawyer’s office, and sign the papers.”

“Sungmin, I’m really sorry for all the trouble I have caused to you and your family.”

“As for the money, my parents have agreed that they will forget about it. The impending collapse of Choi Hotel Corporation is already a big retribution. Yuri, I wish you well.”

Yuri put down the phone and told Siwon about what Sungmin had just said.

“I guess the only good thing out of this entire mess is that we can finally get married,” said Siwon as he touched her diamond ring.

“So what type of wedding will you like?”

Yuri smiled and replied, “We don’t have to throw anything elaborate. Let’s just get wedding bands and sign the marriage certificate at the registration office.”

“If you’re worried about the money, don’t be. I still have a substantial amount of savings. I can reopen my clinic and I’ll be able to earn money.”

Yuri giggled and shook her head.

“No, it’s not about that. I’m just so thankful that I can spend the rest of my life with you that nothing else matters. We can save the money for our honeymoon.”

---------------------------------------

That afternoon, Yuri went to sign the divorce papers at the lawyer’s office. As she inked the paper with her signature and returned it to the lawyer, she heaved a sigh of relief that finally her nightmare of one year was over. Nonetheless, she will always be thankful to the Lees for being her savior when she needed the money to save Yoona and apologetic for all the shame she had brought to them.

“I’ll process the divorce papers immediately; it should take effect in about a week.”

“Thank you, Mr Lee.”

Siwon was waiting outside for her in his car. As she exited the office, he got out of the car and opened the door for her. But to their horror, ten reporters rushed out from nowhere and surrounded them.

“Choi Siwon, Kwon Yuri, what have you got to say about your scandal? How long have you two been together? There’s a rumor that Yuri might be expecting a baby, is it true? Siwon, what is going to happen to the Choi Hotel Corporation?”

Yuri was really frightened and clung onto Siwon. They were being pushed from all sides and Yuri was going to lose her balance since she was wearing high heels. She was afraid to fall down and get injured because she wanted to protect her baby.

“Enough! Get away from us!”

Siwon shouted as he tried to shove a reporter away but the crowd came on even stronger.

“I will sue any of you who hurt Yuri and my baby!”

“So the rumors are true? Yuri is pregnant? When is the baby due? Are you two going to get married?”

Siwon held onto Yuri’s hand and looked her deeply in the eyes.

“Yes, we’re going to get married. I love her very much and I’m not afraid to let the world know that. We’ve been together for some time but Yuri did not betray Sungmin. Yuri is a faithful woman. Please do not harp on this issue anymore.”

The reporters had gotten what they wanted and finally cleared away. Siwon and Yuri exited the scene in their car.

“No matter what happens in the future, we’ll always be together,” said Siwon as he drove them back to his apartment where it all started.

--------------------------------------

Finally the problem with Sungmin is solved. What's going to happen to Choi Hotel Corporation now? Will Siwon be able to reunite with his family?